Going to record for the first time, and need a LOT of help

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by iiDaBoss, Aug 3, 2011.

1. iiDaBoss

iiDaBoss Active Member

Alright, so my band is finally starting to get our shit together and we want to start recording. However we have next to no equipment right now. I don't have a ton of money, so:

What do I need to purchase to record/mix at home? (we play 8's if it makes a difference)
    i.e. Hardware, software, mics, anything you can think of

What is a good drum machine for recording? A good bass machine? (don't have a full time bassist yet, or drum mics)

Steps as far as recording goes?

Anything else you can think of :)

We really want to get started asap, so the more light you can shed on our situation the better! Thanks :hbang:

(ps. I'm sorry if any of this sounds stupid or if anything I've posted above is void, I don't know much about recording :p )

2. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

There about 100 threads on this... threads on guitar, Drum software, how to record, which interfaces are good for beginners.

Try using the search function.

Also, Google is your friend.

Further if you do want our help we need more info. Budget, do you want to record DI guitars or guitar amps, do you have a vocalist etc etc

3. yidcorer

yidcorer Banned

What is a bass machine lol?

Drum machine? This is in fact a very good one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Bass machine.... machine that is a bass....

OH you mean a vst right? Like Trillian...

Please use the search function.... this is just begging to be flamed other wise. Here's a list of what I use.

1: A computer - 500 Gig, 3 gig of ram (now upgraded to 5) External hd (160 going on to a TB <3), AMD Athlon Processor (they are good shit!) Windows 7 64 Bit, and some Monitors. (no idea they are cheap but the quality is quite awesome)

2: Instruments or Vst's (virtual instruments)

3: A DAW - Digital Audio Workstation - Such as Cubase, Reaper, Logic (Mac), Pro Tools, for a beginner like yourself consider Reaper. It's free but please pay for it after the trial they are cool enough to let you use it for free.

4: An interface. Now don't buy a mixer if you have no idea how to use one. Learn as you go, buy a Line6 Toneport for guitars, bass and vocals. They are cheap and very easy to use and get a half decent tone.

5: Microphone for vocals - SM58, PG58, SM7 (I wish) Anything like those will do you for a screamer / singer. Plus buying Dynamics are more sensible than Condensers as well the price and shit. yano 100 compared to 1000 is pretty obvious.

6: Drums / virtual drums - Unless you have money for mics, which I doubt for a full kit. Get something like EZ or Addictive drums for recording, you can use these with an electric kit if your drummer has one. If not just use Guitar Pro to tab his drums in then import the MIDI into your DAW. You can pretty much tweak anything with EZ/Addictive. Don't buy Superior until you KNOW what you are doing.

7: Mixing... is another story...

5. K Rawk

K Rawk Active Member

Oh yes it sure is. This is where the true headaches take place. The men are seperated from the boys. Etc etc

6. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Read a lot of forums. Just don't take every bit of information you read as they were true. Just test everything and see what works for you.