Goals/Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by SenorDingDong, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Yeah I've been discussing the idea with my coach and he thinks I'll be risking too much strength if I try cut too big so for now I'm going to just stick with my original plan. I tried a bench shirt last month and it's a totally different ball game. Bar path is so different and the amount of pressure build-up in your head is excruciating but sending 40-50kg more than you normally would back to the rack feels great. Luke Starnes isn't someone I'm familiar with, I'll have a look on Instagram for him.

I tend to go slightly more. So for me at 86kg I go for 200g per day.

The906 likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

most studies show that anything over .8 per kg is a waste if you're trying to maintain muscle mass

The906 likes this.
  3. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

For maintaining muscle sure, but I thought we were talking about building?

4. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

For the average person, yes. If you’re putting your body through immense stress by lifting heavy weight, you need more protein to aid in recovery. Therefor anything from .8g to 1.2g per lb is sufficient. I don’t know the conversion to kilos, but at 175 lbs, I would be fine in taking in 210g a day.

5. KnightBrolaire

you could do 1g per kg for hypertrophy, but over that is typically a waste of time according to most of the studies I've read. I've seen one study that claim you can go as high as 1.6g per kg if you're doing extremely intense training, but that is at the max upper end of intake.

6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

My coach has always prescribed between 1-1.2 for strength and muscle building. But over that isn't necessarily a waste as it's still contributing towards your total calories. Which if you're looking to build, optimally you'd want to be in a surplus. Plus I prefer to go for a higher protein intake when thinking about calories as the protein sources I tend to gravitate to carry way more outside nutritional benefit than going slutty with junk food.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

I need to brush up on a better GetterinYa strategy for that amount of protein. Chugging 4-6 25g whey shakes a day is a bit tedious plus eggs/meat/greek yogurt, etc. Me frame can't handle the blooooat captain!

Anquished likes this.
  8. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I tend to have 2 scoops in my shakes instead of one, although sometimes that can have AWFUL consequences. :lol:

9. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Good point, I have something stuck in my head that the body can only process x grams/hour and the rest goes to waste. 30g? Maybe I'll just up the scoops.

10. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Yeah there is a limit on protein synthesis, I'm not that clued up on it myself. But from what I've been told by my coach, unless you're a peak level athlete don't worry too much about it. It's not going to hurt going over and like I said earlier, you'll find it easier to hit your calorie target. Especially if you're drinking them. ;)

The906 likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

limit is 20-40g from what i've read

The906 likes this.
  12. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

So, I had surgery on Thursday to remove some unsightly lipomas (fatty tumors) from various parts of my body. They ended up finding a lymph node in my groin that was a little concerning, so they had to get a bit more invasive for that one, which put me down for a while. But, once I get back to it, I’m going to start a fairly hefty bulk. Well...I’ve already started since I’m not doing anything else. :lol: But I may try to see if I can get to a point where I’d consider an amateur show next year. Likely physique, as I don’t think I’ll be big enough to break into classic bb just yet.

Blytheryn likes this.
  13. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Hows everybody doing? Happy new year (I know its late..) 'n all that!

Got my powerlifting qualifier in a couple of weeks, hoping for a 200/130/250 finish. More than enough to qualify but I've super determined to finally hit a 200kg squat on the platform w/o sleeves or wraps.

14. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Did some PR before the end of the year and restarted my program this month. 100kg bench, 175kg DL, 155kg Squat.

I'm just doing it for fun but I was craving those 100kg bench for months.

Anquished likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This isn't going to mean much to most of you, but one of my cycling goals this season is to break 4.0 watts per kilogram at Functional Threshold Power (defined as the maximum output I can hold for an hour, and usually determined as 95% of your 20-minute max). I'm currently sitting at just under 3.7w/kg with a FTP of 310 watts and a weight just over 84kg, so I need to either add 26w or shed about 6 1/2kg, or somewhere in between (both are achievable, but the later would be bringing me down towards the lower bound of what I could realistically achieve at 6', and the former is not easy to do, last season I lost some ground after breaking my collarbone when I got cut off by a car but I managed a 7w improvement at FTP, so doing much better than double that is going to take some really strenuous training).

I'm working on a Zwift 4-week FTP booster training plan right now with a goal of at least picking up 10w at FTP there, hopefully better, and while weight is tough to tackle by exercise alone over the winter, when the summer rolls around and I start doing regular long rides I'm hopeful that I can drop 3-4kg by midyear simply through training.

(for the non-cyclists, these numbers make me a stronger-than-average rider for a serious cyclist, but still well off pros - Bradley Wiggens was estimated to have put out a 455w average during his 1-hour record, which is right around what you'd expect of a guy winning the Tour de France, and a world-class pro is probably in the 6.5w/kg range at FTP. An untrained but athletic adult probably starts around 1.5-2w/kg, and depending on who's data set you trust my current FTP expressed as w/kg would probably peg me as a Cat 4 cyclist, possibly inching into Cat 3, so a mid-tier competitive cyclist. Probably top third, targeting top quarter, of cyclists serious enough about performance to use some sort of power metering equipment, using Cycling Analytics data.

Anquished likes this.
  16. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I’ve never ventured into this forum....

about a year ago I was 215 or so, and I just didn’t care for the way it looked on my frame (I’m 6’ - 6’1”). I listen to several podcasts and kept hearing about the keto thing so I tried it out and got down to about 170 within a year, and I actually felt great!

I went on a trip to NYC and was lax on my diet (very) and I’ve jumped back to 185 so I’ve started it again. This time I’ll be hitting the gym though, lose all the fat, then build some mass up. I’m more looking to just be cut as opposed to bulking up but that’s the path going forward.

The906 likes this.
  17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think if you've already taken the weight off, the best thing you can do is just adding exercise back into your life and making it a habit. It can be the gym, or it can be some sort of sport - cardio's great for keeping weight off, and if you can get into running (I don't really enjoy it but I try every now and then and two years ago I ran a half marathon and found I didn't totally hate the long slow distance runs, so maybe there's hope) it's pretty cheap to start. If not, I'll preach the gospel of cycling and try to convert you as well. \m/

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

+1 for cycling. I don't think of myself as being in-shape, but biking into the office a few times a week definitely makes me feel a lot better most of the time.

I don't know that I'm a great fit for the kinds of goals in this thread - but I was pretty happy with myself recently in terms of regaining some lost upper body strength.

My slightly long-ish story:
    As far back as 2016, I was a lot heavier than I should have been. I've posted parts of this story on this forum before. I was the kind of heavy where if someone knocked on the door, I would get out of breath just getting up to answer the door. I don't know exactly the heaviest I've been, but when I started keeping track, I was around 310lbs. For the above reason (and some others, not too important), I decided a while back that I had to change things. I realized that I could tolerate walking long-ish distances as a form of exercise, so I made a point of being on my feet for at least an hour every day, and slowly cut back what I was eating. It worked, simply as that, and I ended up dropping a ton of weight really quickly.

The problem, though, is that I dropped that weight very quickly, and stayed in diet mode for too long. Fast forward to maybe a year and a half ago, and I was hovering just under 150lbs, which I think counts as right on the edge of underweight for someone my height. I don't know what "technically" counts as underweight, but I know that during this process, I lost a ton of strength. So, noticing that things went a little out of whack, another re-adjustment to diet and exercise habits put me on the track I'm on now.

I actually very quickly re-gained some weight, but then it sort of just.... stayed there? It settled just under 170 and has been around that for almost a year now. But while the number hasn't changed much, the upper body strength has been a much more gradual change. I had picked up one of those pull-up bars you can jam in a door frame, with the thought that in the winter, while it's too cold to just walk around, I can try to do some upper body movement instead. At 145-ish lbs, I couldn't lift myself on that bar at all.

All that leading to the actual progress part of the story that I wanted to get to:
    I recently finally reached a point where I can do two or three pull ups on this bar - which doesn't sound like much, but I could barely do a couple of pushups a year ago. That moment of going "OH SH*T I can lift myself on this thing" all of a sudden is very satisfying. For someone who was in as bad shape as I was, I'm very happy with this.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Sorry that this post adds nothing productive to the conversation, so feel free to skip it...

I was never really in "great" shape, but I packed on quite a bit of weight after I slowed down my lifestyle getting married and such. I was trying to lose weight for the last 4ish years. Tried working out at the gym until I thought my bones were going to detach from my ligaments, all winter, one year, and lost about 1 kg (but got a lot stronger). Tried calorie counting the next winter and somehow gained 1 kg (the less I ate, the less I pooped), and I just always felt tired. Last winter, I ate only green leafy vegetables for lunch every day and no change at all, except my stomach started hurting a lot. This winter, I went on meds to manage my blood sugar better and lost 7 kg in a couple of weeks. I don't eat much sugary food, but I am really weak around bread and rice and stuff. I guess it's a sign I'm getting old.

20. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

welp, already back down to 175-ish. Water weight and all that, fluctuates a couple pounds.

to those suggesting cycling - oh yea! I love cycling however I’m kinda forced into a stationary bike situation but I go hard on those. I follow Brendan Schaub on Instagram and his hitting over 1000 calories on rides inspired me to do it.