Goals/Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by SenorDingDong, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Yeah I've been discussing the idea with my coach and he thinks I'll be risking too much strength if I try cut too big so for now I'm going to just stick with my original plan. I tried a bench shirt last month and it's a totally different ball game. Bar path is so different and the amount of pressure build-up in your head is excruciating but sending 40-50kg more than you normally would back to the rack feels great. Luke Starnes isn't someone I'm familiar with, I'll have a look on Instagram for him.

I tend to go slightly more. So for me at 86kg I go for 200g per day.

The906 likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

most studies show that anything over .8 per kg is a waste if you're trying to maintain muscle mass

The906 likes this.
  3. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

For maintaining muscle sure, but I thought we were talking about building?

4. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

For the average person, yes. If you’re putting your body through immense stress by lifting heavy weight, you need more protein to aid in recovery. Therefor anything from .8g to 1.2g per lb is sufficient. I don’t know the conversion to kilos, but at 175 lbs, I would be fine in taking in 210g a day.

5. KnightBrolaire

you could do 1g per kg for hypertrophy, but over that is typically a waste of time according to most of the studies I've read. I've seen one study that claim you can go as high as 1.6g per kg if you're doing extremely intense training, but that is at the max upper end of intake.

6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

My coach has always prescribed between 1-1.2 for strength and muscle building. But over that isn't necessarily a waste as it's still contributing towards your total calories. Which if you're looking to build, optimally you'd want to be in a surplus. Plus I prefer to go for a higher protein intake when thinking about calories as the protein sources I tend to gravitate to carry way more outside nutritional benefit than going slutty with junk food.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

I need to brush up on a better GetterinYa strategy for that amount of protein. Chugging 4-6 25g whey shakes a day is a bit tedious plus eggs/meat/greek yogurt, etc. Me frame can't handle the blooooat captain!

Anquished likes this.
  8. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I tend to have 2 scoops in my shakes instead of one, although sometimes that can have AWFUL consequences. :lol:

9. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Good point, I have something stuck in my head that the body can only process x grams/hour and the rest goes to waste. 30g? Maybe I'll just up the scoops.

10. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Yeah there is a limit on protein synthesis, I'm not that clued up on it myself. But from what I've been told by my coach, unless you're a peak level athlete don't worry too much about it. It's not going to hurt going over and like I said earlier, you'll find it easier to hit your calorie target. Especially if you're drinking them. ;)

The906 likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

limit is 20-40g from what i've read

The906 likes this.