Glossary of Luthier/Builder Complaints: Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by KnightBrolaire, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer SS.org Regular

I just said would prefer this one if it was done ok, to something made in a production environment. I could have phrased it much better, that I agree.

I see more value in something that is hand made. Than something made in cnc or a pin router. Yet I do both to some extent, still learning the hand made part.

I strongly dislike fender like guitars, of course I would get a gibson over it, or something else, but still if this was done ok, it would be nice, wouldn't it?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Alright, let's move on fellas. :)

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

4. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I believe Chris has closed his order books anyway at the moment, as he was far behind on builds and is trying to catch up. Its a shame he didn't reply or get back to you, but I do respect the fact he is now getting things in order without taking more deposits.

Feline - I have known Jon for years, and have never had any issues with getting in contact - but I have always phoned or walked into the shop. I think sometimes people seem to think he only makes the Black Machines, but he is very busy and successful with his own builds (which are exceptional) as well as repair / mods as well - the black machines only make up a small part of his time / business. But his communication by email certainly does need to improve.

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

@Randy
    Sumbitch still hasnt shipped me this for free yet...

[​IMG]

Edika and Randy like this.
  6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Just want to point out far behind for Chris is a few months. He just doesn’t like having a big back log from seeing other guys end up with customers waiting a couple of years for builds. Closing the book means you can have a clear plan in place with an estimate of when you can reopen for new orders and it frees up time spent on working with potential customers. More builders should do it although a lot of guys rely on the regular stream of deposits or don’t want to risk losing business.

khm likes this.
  7. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Indeed - I was just passing on the info from his official post. It is very refreshing to see a builder take this approach.

8. KnightBrolaire

9. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

10. KnightBrolaire

apparently he did think he'd get away with it. Most people aren't going to dive too deeply into researching a guitar company, which is how some of these douchebags keep getting work.

11. 777timesgod

You would think that before sending 3k (or more in some instance) one would bother with a google search. Then again, G.A.S. can mess up your judgment.

12. Soya

Soya Poor person

Doesn't always work that simply anyway. I did all the research when I ordered an amp from Kaosamp, talked to previous customers, checked their physical location along with their bank and accounts to make sure it was legit and they still stole my money.

13. 777timesgod

Of course, there will always be a risk, even if you buy the gear in person, it could fall apart or have a hidden flaw. I am just saying that in this case, the scammer could be revealed easily.