Gigs You've Been to Recently

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by fps, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Dudley

Dudley SS.org Regular

Saw Babymetal on Saturday night. Goddamn, I was not prepared for how good a show it would be. Backing band was insanely tight and sounded amazing, and they all played some killer solos, and the crowd was fantastic. So much bouncing and fun.

Saw Insomnium last month, too. Canny.

fps likes this.
  2. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Saw Leprous yesterday, show was good as usual. I am not a big fan of the new album, but they closed with the sky is red. And that was so fucking cool!
    Overrole very nice show!

2 weeks back went to a small sort of festival called complexity fest where Night Verses played, that was super good, was really happy they came to Europe, love from the galary of sleep. Was impressive to see live! Also Cold Night for Alligators played there, was also really good live(last album as well) And some other super cool stuff such as Goat (from japan), and Ni. Also some things that where not really mine cup of tea, but hey cannot complain!

Week before that I went to Monuments, I build the sky and Heart of a coward. Great party, really loving the new singer of Monuments, but missing the Chris at the same time!
    First time i saw i build the sky, and that was pretty good as well!

Good times!

Razerjack and fps like this.
  3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Nice thread idea :cheers:

I went to a couple of concerts this winter and in the autumn. Judging by this thread my music taste is a bit heavier (blackere?) than most:

Abbath / Vltimas / 1349 @ Amager Bio
    I brought the ticket the day before and went alone because my usual concert mate (and drummer) was on vacation. I really really dug Vltimas debut album, so seeing it live and knowing the text to all the songs seemed like a good idea.

First things first some South American thrash metal band called Nuclear opened up. Not bad, kinda Slayer-ish, but it was seemed out of place for what I would call a black metal evening.

Next was 1349. Frost blast beating for most of the show is ofc awesome! Not too much show, just the band player and the singer interacting. Sound was really good, though I believe 1349 sometimes play (definatly records) with two guitars, so the music seemed to miss a few elements here and there. Great show never the less. I remember seeing these guys back in 2011 at Roskilde Festival - but back then I wasn't that much into black metal.

Vltimas:
    David Vincent is awesome, Rune Eriksen (Blasphemer) is awesome and Flo Mounier is awesome. The bassist and guitarist played great and did their headbanging duties. Really great show, the guys really seemed to enjoy playing together and I cannot wait for their next album :deathm:

Abbath:
    Apparently he has been sober for the last few months and he did play a lot better than last time I saw him. On the downside he didn't really say much between songs, just presented them and onwards. The music is fine I guess, but the song ideas, riffs and structures seem to be a bit of same old same so after a couple of songs it starts to mush together when you don't know the songs that well in advance.
    Also some super drunk idiot kept trying to mosh and crowd surf, even though black metal shows are not really moshpit shows for me at all. You listen and enjoy the music - sing along if you know the lyrics. But also I don't generally get drunk when going to shows anymore - I just wanna enjoy the music the most I can, which includes being near sober.

All in all a great evening.

fps and Boris_VTR like this.
  4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Marduk / Attic / Unlight @ Pumpehuset

Small stage show - I had expected it to be the big stage in the building, but apparently not. The two warmup bands where good, but nothing that made me go home and listen to them a bunch more.

I went there to see Marduk - I really like their Frontschwein album. I saw them some years past at Copenhell which was a great show so was really looking forward to this and they did not disappoint. They played all of my favorites and even though they are some old and ugly guys they play and sing super tight so kinda like being hit by a black metal blasting sledgehammer, which is a good thing. If you have the chance to see these guys, definitely do!

5. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

Saw dream theater at milan feb 12 (at the risk of coronavirus hahaha).
    It was great, I got anxious because of Labrie on first song, but it went way better after that and scenes from a memory was flawless :)

fps likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Last night was Devin / Haken / Contortionist at the Corona theater in Montreal. First show of that tour, the one they added when the first Montreal show sold out.

Contortionist was ok. Was more or less what we expected. Not bad, sounded good, but I probably wouldn't make the trip again just for their sake.

Haken played really well, but the set started off rough. The singer was having some kind of monitor trouble for the first couple of songs and you could tell it was throwing him off. Also, the subs in the venue were either really low or off for the first couple songs then suddenly kicked in, and sounded much better after that point. One of the people with us was really unimpressed with the guys voice, but I knew what to expect going in, so I had a good time. They played enough songs that I recognized for me to enjoy the set.

Devin on the other hand - sweet jebus, that was a treat. No big stage show, but the sound was on point, the set was a good mix of stuff that I'm glad I've seen live now, tons of antics and "witty"/funny banter as expected. Mike Keneally was right in front of us, and I never realized how much of a monster player that guy is.

We drove through some terrible weather to get there, but it was completely worth it. Would do it again. Probably will do it again.

fps and GRUNTKOR like this.
  7. Logan Abbott

Logan Abbott SS.org Regular

Last friday I saw what was one of the best tour lineups ever! Silent planet, currents, invent animate, grayhaven, and trove (davey muise’s new band). Invent with their new vocalist is so good, such a tight band. Greyhaven is not really my thing so I went and sat down cause I sprained my ankle a couple weeks ago for some rest. Currents absolutely stole the show. Longest support set they’ve played, both their new songs, finally played title track of tpifs, and shattered plus a ton of other songs. Just so good. I saw silent planet and while they were great and put on a great show currents just did it for me. Garrett got off the stage and hugged everyone after the set. Had a really personal talk on stage. It was moving honestly. Met Brian from currents, one of his friends mixes my bands music so we chatted about that and playing shows and their new album. Met basically everyone there, such nice people. Would absolutely go again and would drive hours to see them, one of the best shows I’ve seen next to the Northlane tour last year, and self help.

fps likes this.
  8. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Did he at least save it for one spot in the show? I saw them open for the Contortionist and after the third straight song where they kinda faded out so he could "chat" with the crowd about mental health/healing/god/his job/etc I was ready to start chucking bottles at the stage. I like an engaging front man, but he was preachy AF, super obnoxious about it. There was like 5 little "chat" breaks in their 35 minute set and it made me really never wanna see them again, which is too bad because there are some fun bits of music in there.

9. Logan Abbott

Logan Abbott SS.org Regular

I mean he did the normal frontman talking between some songs, but if I remember correctly it was just 1 break to have a chat and it was while everyone else was switching guitars and changing pedal settings and whatnot. I’m not into god or preachy stuff, but it was moving. He recently went to a mental hospital and that’s what it was about, how he made it through that with the help of his band and everything. Their a very personal band, it’s kind of their thing to be nice to everyone and have these speeches and everything.

10. Brutal08

Brutal08 SS.org Regular

My turn tonight! I survived the parc laverendry!

TedEH likes this.
  11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I wish Ottawa had venues like that place. We have theaters, and clubs, etc., and certainly some places that sound good - but that tends not to be where metal shows are hosted.

12. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Saw Neaera on their first regular show in five years, new record, band reformed after calling it quits five years ago and all that... small club (~350 people if I'm not mistaken, sold out within not even a day), no opener, best show I've ever been to. I've never seen anything like it :D Not even on hardcore/beatdown shows I've seen so much of the vocals done by random audience members, the singer was in or on the crowd more often than not, great setlist of old and new songs, amazing audience that was going completely insane from the get go, always looking out for each other, crowdsurfers, random people headbanging on stage, and to top that off the band was just hanging around at the merch after the show for what felt like hours, signing everything, talking with everyone, taking pictures and constantly handing out free pizza (and the pizza they make at that club is actually rather good) for pretty much everyone :D I can hardly talk, slightly bruised and half my face feels swollen from hitting the wet & terribly slippery stage face first during the last song, but honestly, I don't see how anyone could top that show. Not in term of songs played, or perfection in the playing but in term of overall experience. I said that to a friend on the way to the show, if I want to hear the songs, I put on a record, if I want to see the band play I call a friend of mine who has the largest flatscreen I've ever seen and a great stereo and we put on a live dvd, if I go to a concert I want to feel the mood & energy, and that worked perfectly :)

fps and Razerjack like this.
  13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Prepping to head to NYC for Intronaut, Emma Ruth Rundle, and Cult of Luna tonight.

fps, Triple7 and Flemmigan like this.
  14. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

Saw this show on their first night in Dallas. Super great show, but my only complaint was that Intronaut's set was criminally short---only 4 songs. It was a damn good set, but I was hoping for some bangers from their last couple albums or even (gasp) Valley of Smoke, but it was all new stuff. That being said, they brought it hard. Those 4 songs were some of their best material yet, and I did get my hands on the new album; have been listening to it non stop since. Had a chance to chat with Sacha for a minute and nerd out about the Dunable R2 I'm lucky enough to own, and our mutual appreciation for drop B tuning and the benefits of a 25.5" scale length.
    Apparently, Joe ruptured his Achilles tendon around the time of this show and is off the tour now as he recovers from surgery. Huge bummer, and I hope he recovers without issue. In the meantime, they've been pulling a Nolly Getgood and piping his tracks over the PA, and had a hilarious mannequin at another one of the shows this week.

Emma was fantastic, really cool and different vibe. I have been listening to her albums for the last few months, and getting to see them in the more stripped down singer-songwriter setting really brought out a different side of the songs. It also served as a good cleanser between the two pummeling sets from Intronaut and CoL.

Cult of Luna was simply amazing. While I've only listened to a few albums (and have really enjoyed them), I have to say that I rank this set up with a few others in terms of overall greatness. Their light show (with illumination primarily from the rear stage, projecting most of the members as silhouettes among the foggy stage) was unparalleled. There was no banter between songs, no introduction, just crushing heaviness punctuated with masterful tension for 75 minutes. As a friend of mine who came to the show texted the next morning, "tension is still building from those Cult of Luna songs." :lol:

Don't miss out on this show.

fps likes this.
  15. Brutal08

Brutal08 SS.org Regular

The Contortionist, Haken, Devin Townsend at Theatre Corona last friday

So i survived a snow storm and a 6hour road trip
    The Contortionist was great played well the sound was good they sounded heavy and percussive as hell. I would like to see them again if the bill is good when they will come back

Haken played well I did not know this band very well i watch some youtube videos and i wasnt hooked but they gave a solid performance they are really talented musicians

Devin Townsend was so great i had huge expectation and they were fully met! The band is so talented Micheal Keanelly is an amazing musician,Devin is an outstanding showman he screwed up kingdom in the encore and stopped to apologies in is Devin way and started it all over again!

So it was a nice trip i regret not buyin tickets for the 26th show i would have seen this show twice in 3 days for sure! So now im back home with a huge gas for Framus guitars and Dingwall bass....

fps, GRUNTKOR and TedEH like this.
  16. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Ok good, I wasn't the only one who though they came off as silhouettes with their lighting :lol: But seriously, it actually worked really well!
    upload_2020-3-2_21-59-25.jpeg

Anyway, I'm torn between what I liked more, Emma or Cult (no offense to Intronaut, and I gave props to Sacha when I saw him by the merch), but those two were just unbelievable. Cult of Luna was just, as you said, an incredible display of tension building and unbridled heaviness, while Emma nearly moved me to tears a few times (seriously, I'm in love with "Shadows of My Name")

fps and Triple7 like this.
  17. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

What an amazing show! Intronaut killed it for being a 3 piece, and Cult of Luna was...well, amazing!

Ralyks likes this.
  18. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I was mad close to you. I was sitting in the "VIP" section to your left. "VIP" was a total joke, and not worth the extra money.

Ralyks likes this.
  19. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Ahhh let's see...

G3 two years ago I still remember vividly. @canuck brian and I went. I'm still amazed that Phil Collen of Def Leopard was on the bill instead of someone more well known as a solo act. However, Phil definitely killed it. Surprised the hell out of me.

Spring 2018, my wife and I went to go see Cellar Darling but didn't actually end up seeing them because they had 4 opening acts that night and we just wound up too tired by 11pm and the headliners (Cellar Darling) still hadn't gone on stage. The only memorable band from that show was Vedic, who are awesome and we had some drinks with them. They're really awesome dudes so shout out to them and go check them out if you've never heard of them.

A friend from work and again, @canuck brian went and saw Unleash The Archers. Great show.

Then @canuck brian and I saw Revocation. Another amazing show.

In January, my wife and I did a bucket list thing and bought VIP tickets to Epica's 10th Anniversary tour of Design Your Universe in Montreal. We both love the band. So we road tripped it out to Montreal and the drive out was tough on me because I hadn't slept much and she doesn't have her full license (we have 3 license levels in Canada). We did a meet and greet, got to chat a little with the band and it was just amazing. Blackguard and The Agonist opened. Haven't heard from Blackguard in years but Justine absolutely killed it on drums. The Agonist were on home turf, so they were definitely in their element, although I didn't quite enjoy their set as I haven't heard much material with Vicky. Then Epica.

Oh. My. God. Epica.

fps likes this.
  20. fps

fps Kit

Some lovely responses so far, thanks all.

For obvious reasons, this thread is now self-isolating until further notice.

Flemmigan likes this.