Gibson suing Dean Guitars

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jun 20, 2019.

1. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

I think there is a pretty marked difference this time, as they just put out a VERY poorly received video saying they were going to do exactly this, and it seems a LOT of people saw it. Lots of their previous legal activity predated social media.

2. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

lemme just trademark the letter V

JP_METAL_HEAD, Veldar, Masoo2 and 9 others like this.
  3. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Your honor, I represent Dean Guitars and I can confirm that we make no such thing as a "V" guitar; but rather it is a partial "A". I rest my case.

Case dismissed!

4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

This is actually bullshit. Completely the wrong way to go about improving your brand's imagine for starters.

If anything I'm going to go out and buy a Dean in protest.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

You actually made me wonder if this would help Dean any?

Like, I doubt protest sells would play a factor, but I wonder if people would think "Well shit, if Gibson wants to stop them, then they must be good!"

feraledge and Vyn like this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Not a fan of Dean at all, but fuck Gibson. I will never buy or use one of their guitars.

JP_METAL_HEAD, possumkiller and lewis like this.
  7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

By the way, lemme just point out these fucking goobers have made a shit ton of cash when Slash started using a fake Les Paul because they basically told him to go fuck himself when he asked for an endorsement around the time of recording AFD. Then they changed their tune circa UYI and have been milking his name since. In fact, he was pretty instrumental in their turn around financially after how dismally their brand ended up as a result of pancake bodies and other silliness. Same, though to a lesser extent (I assume) is true of Iommi.

So yeah, eat shit, Gibson.

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I was hoping someone started a thread on here about this. All I know is that if Apple couldn't win against Samsung, given the evidence of documents telling the samsung engineers to copy the apple stuff exactly, then there's no way this Dean lawsuit wins. Dean is not putting any "Gibson" labels on their guitars, so that part of the suit is dead. There's a fairly limited way to make a headstock, so that's going to be a tough sell. And, I wouldn't be surprised if Dean claims that the V and explorer shapes (and HS, too) are generic trademarks. This whole 40 years thing falls well under the doctrine of laches, which means they waited WAAAAAAAY too long. So they must be blustering to either, A) scare the smaller companies into not making LPs, etc., or B) Get Dean to settle and pay something.

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, this is the really shitty thing. Gibson is not a, "Hey musician's, let us help you out, and then you'll be a great ambassador to us when you get big." They're more one to ride coattails AFTER someone makes it big. Personally, I don't have much sympathy for a company that literally doesn't support their companies.

XPT707FX and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  10. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Gibson were dominant when there was only a handful of guitar companies making instruments. Back then, imports were awful and the only way to get a quality instrument was to get something made in the USA. Today in 2019, overseas manufacturing rules the instrument market in volume and quality. The only way I see for a company like Gibson to stay afloat is to make superior quality instruments, and have a positive reputation for being a high-quality instrument maker. I though that was the direction they were going when they hired this new CEO. But petty crap like this, in an age of social media, seems like PR suicide for Gibson. I know many players that were going to give them a chance because of this perceived new direction was going in. I just think Gibson likes being the villain. It's baffling.

AxeHappy likes this.
  11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

This is now my current favorite video:

And now I want that V more than ever.

Exchanger, Avedas, narad and 5 others like this.
  12. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I happen to really like Gibson guitars (I own 3 and the quality is great). I also happen to really dislike Dean guitars. Mostly their headstock shapes, many play well, just not into the looks and extreme string break angles. Maybe there is something to the V body, but barely, and the rest of it is weaker still. Dumb lawsuit. Strategically, this is less about Dean than it is discouraging other builders from starting similar shapes in my opinion.

XPT707FX and The906 like this.
  13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Who knew? They should probably fire their CEO.

Yeah. Its just me and my lawyer friends.

*Fixed.

20190621_103827.jpg

14. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've now see two videos of that guy now and they both seriously creep me out. He has evil eyes and a weird douchy demeanor.

USMarine75 likes this.
  15. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

I think a chain-reaction is developing here. Maybe Bigsby should consider a lawsuit after all these decades.:agreed:

[​IMG]

;>)/

AxeHappy and Hollowway like this.
  16. USMarine75

17. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Thing is that the holding company is exactly the same, so I think I was pretty naive in thinking the board would allow the CEO to implement a proper development strategy and follow through on that. As it is, though, we may have lost the resident board parrot, but we have the same barrier between direction and the company's target audience as before. Good publicity for Dean, I guess.

18. Kemper

Kemper SS.org Regular

A5534F30-AFA8-4200-BDEB-AC410A2C3F3D.jpeg

Poor JP, no more Majesty

Veldar, TheDandy, Masoo2 and 3 others like this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

this is dumb because IF its entertained and somehow Gibson win, it sets an awful precedent in the sense of EVERYONE COPIES EVERYONE

you would get about 150 guitar companies then try and sue all the other guitar companies haha

20. USMarine75

88A16100-027F-40B3-9679-43285DC7AA2E.jpeg