Gibson LP Customs with maple fretboards

IgniteTheSky54

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine had a LP Custom Silverburst with a maple fretboard. Unfortunately he sold it. Started doing some research and it seems that Gibson LP Customs with maple fretboards are pretty rare. What are the chances of finding a Silverburst or a AAAA quilt top with a maple fretboard? Anybody have any information on the subject, curious to see if my buddy made a huge mistake getting rid of it.

gabsonuro

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
they are obviously less common, but they are significantly less in demand than an ebony boarded one. they usually go for a few hundred bucks cheaper than a regular ebony one.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
What are the chances of finding a Silverburst or a AAAA quilt top with a maple fretboard? Anybody have any information on the subject, curious to see if my buddy made a huge mistake getting rid of it.

Very very slim on the burst, impossible on the AAAA as to my knowledge its never been done.

There are a handful of LPC's that were made in the Norlin era that have maple fret boards, they were all silver burst or solid colour's.

Gibson did a reissue a couple of times 2008 for a plane top natural LPC, and I think last year on a solid black. These I haven't seen at all on the 2nd hand market, there were only 50 made in 2008 and I think a hundred in the last run. I did see one on wildwood guitars about a year back but it was I think North of 5K. There was also a run of LPC Zakk Wylde cammo bullseye's sometime around 2004 again somewhere in the region of 100 pieces, looked hideous, costs silly money, I've never seen one 2nd hand.

Your best hope it to buy an LPC and get it modded, windy city guitars recently did one on a black LPC, came out looking great even though I find maple boards on a LP anachronistic.

Let me know if you want the links to the thread on the the mod, and windy city.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on how much you're willing to pay. Norman's has practically a whole room of maple boarded LPCs, but expect to pay market price for them. Any dealer can order a maple boarded LPC in just about any finish you want, though that's through the Custom Shop, so expect about another $1500 to $2500 on top of a new LPC.

I've seen tons of conversions over the years, but there are much more variables going that path, which isn't at all cheap either.

So you can spend months looking for an original and settle on color, maybe pay between $2000 and $3500 depending on condition and rarity. Grab your pick from Norman's for $3600+. Or go the mod route and pick up any old LPC and throw about another $1k at it.

IgniteTheSky54

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah i remember her paid i believe $3800 to $4200 for it and then sold it for only like $2500. I thought that was surprisingly cheap but he just needed cash quick. I really liked the silverburst with the maple board only because it does catch your attention cause that was really the only one id ever seen. I really dig the iguana burst and the lemon burst but not with the maple boards. Surprising that how rare they are they are actually worth less. I am interested in modding one though if you wouldnt mind sending me some links id appreciate it. Not exactly sure what i want but before i spend $3000+ i defintely want to check out all options. thanks again for the info

ricky bobby

Beef Supreme
Reaction score
Guitar Center often has maple fretboard Les Paul customs. They have 2 used natural tops right now. Best part is if they order it in and you don't like it you can return it..

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
The spending a lot of money part is definitely true. Good friend of mine has a Custom Shop Flamed Top LPC with a maple board and the cost of that guitar makes me cry just thinking about it :lol:

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are a handful of LPC's that were made in the Norlin era that have maple fret boards, they were all silver burst or solid colour's.

This isn't totally accurate. I don't think they actually did silverbursts in the norlin era with maple boards. I've never seen one anyway. I assume they've done a few in the modern custom shop at some point. But they definitely made them in natural and they aren't all that hard to find. If I had to guess, I'd say that was the most common, based on the frequency I see them.