Gibson loses another trademark in the EU (firebird)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Off the top of my head, none do a direct copy. Inspirations abound, such as Phil X's Framus, but checking Framus, Lag, Vigier, Mayones, I found no "same guitar with a different headstock". The only ones doing it are distributor brands such as Harley Benton and Fame.

2. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

Out of the frying pan and into the fire-bird...
    Sorry, I could not resist. Perhaps they can sue Dean again and feel better about the whole thing. Of course, they could come to a mutual agreement and Gibson can release a Dimebag Gibson model for a limited time. There...I solved the whole situation.

3. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Theres also Maybach guitars, which I see going around more and more these days. Straight up Gibson LP clones for about 1500 bucks or something. I've played 2, they're actually pretty nice guitars.

4. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

One could say Gibson LPs are only worth about 1500 anyways. And I own one..

5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Good news, and quite right too, not a failure of justice and not bias.
    Key point:
    "The fact that Gibson waited 50 years since launching the first Firebird models, first filing for trademarks in 2011, also contributed to the decision."

6. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

So just to make this sure.

Gibson tried to trademark the fact that they were the first to shape a piece of wood in a specific form.
    That is it, as a V and a Firebird still function absolutely the same way as any other electric guitar.

What's up with that company? Maybe start building quality guitars for a decent price?

Tuned likes this.
  7. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

The only issue I see with the lawsuit is the fact that they waited so long. As far as building quality guitars at a decent price, their 2019s have been fantastic. I'll put my 2019 1960s LP Standard up against anything. And they are more than a grand less than a PRS CU 24 here in the States. It's been a fashionable thing to shit on Gibson the past several years, but I think they've been putting out guitars as good as anything in their history. And their Original and Modern series are priced extremely well for an American made instrument.