Gibson Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by tehgriffmeister, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister SS.org Regular

What model of Les Paul studio is it, is it one of the faded brown Les Paul studios with a natural finish ? :)

2. Dan_Vacant

Dan_Vacant Hi I'm Dan.

My mom thought I was nuts when I said I'm going to buy a $300 guitar I told her that is cheap. She probably now see's it's cheaper then other guitars I look at, but still not cheap to her.

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Don't ever tell your mother when you take up the violin then. She will have an attack. :lol:

4. Bekanor

Bekanor Renegade Folk Hero

That kind of dogmatic brand loyalty is just as annoying as dipshits who turn up with a 100 series LTD and plead that "It played and sounded way better than any of the high end ESPs in the shop".

Also for what it's worth, my Edwards LP Custom is a fantastic guitar that I love to bits, but I wouldn't even think about attempting to put it up against a Gibson LP Custom. They are just two different worlds.

5. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I've got killer LP Junior or 1 p90 singlecut gas

[​IMG]

Anyone played recent production Gibson LP Juniors?

6. MythicSquirrel

MythicSquirrel #menswear

I've only played the gloss singlcut Juniors, but they're amazing. The P90 has a nice crunch to it, and for around $700 it's pretty hard to beat.

7. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

Its a studio satin with a 60s neck and the 490/498 combo (I think).

[​IMG]

8. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

After cycling through about 10 different guitars over the last 5 years I went back to Les Pauls for good. Nothing sits down on my thigh and locks down like a Les Paul. Plus the tone and sustain is legendary. I have really big hands so the necks are a bit strange but I love the overall feel.

I've got a Gothic Les Paul which is basically a studio and a Epiphone Gothic which is real similar. I really like them expect neither is heavy enough. So yeah I like the heavier thicker body on the Custom but I hate all the binding on the body and fretboard plus the ugly gold hardware and inlays. Why can't they just make a thick body Les Paul but with all the hardware the Gothic has?

So yeah, long story short after the holidays are over the Gibson custom shop will start to take orders again is what my guy is telling me. So basically I'll have them make a Custom Gothic with the black matte finish heavy body, black hardware, EMG's and Grover tuners. Does that sound right?

9. SkullCrusher

SkullCrusher SS.org Regular

I've had 2 gibbons in 2012 (lp studio and sg standard) both of which had to be returned because of neck faults. Never again.

10. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

I love every gibson and epiphone i have had. A lil overpriced but worth it.

11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

For 2012:

Gibson 50s Tribute LP: uneven frets, neck wider than fretboard, sent back
    Gibson LP Traditional Plus Top: awesome guitar, no flaws, keeper
    Gibson SG Standard: wet glue in case glued the furry case lining to the guitar, exchanging

Hoping the replacement SG is as good as my LP Traditional, it goes out fedex ground monday :lol:

12. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

I've had a bunch of Gibson guitars this year.

1981 Les Paul Custom - Awesome guitar, Norlin-era Gibson goodness.

2010 Les Paul Traditional - One of the best guitars I've ever played, period. I'm dead set on getting another one ASAP and I hate myself for getting rid of the one I've had, even though it helped me put a down payment on a car.

2012 Les Paul Standard Plus - Not a fan of all. I traded my '81 Custom for this one just to flip it, chambered and weighed like 9lbs, the finsh was super sticky. Luckily it was an easy sell, haha

2011 SG Faded - Probably one of the best newer model Gibson guitars I've ever played. Even for a cheap guitar it sounded and played like a champion.

2008 Les Paul Standard - This thing sucked too. Weight relieved, felt like a toy. Case smelled great though!

1980 Les Paul Deluxe - My baby. Never leaving the stable. Another Norlin-era that weighs a bajillion pounds but it sounds and plays great.

13. grogarage

grogarage stay metal

like some have said, Gibson USA guitars have a brand ''power'', it's a bit like Harley Davidson motorcycles. People who know nothing about motorcycles knows what a Harley is, now try to explain you have a yamaha Road Star...a what? Brand image is a major selling point, and Gibson have a long history with many legendary players. You rarely see a major band playing ''similar to Gibson'' guitars, they play the ''real'' thing.

On the 3 or 4 USA LP i tried (std, custom, traditional, studio) there was only one that i bonded with playability wise, they all had good tone but the traditional for whatever reason was fantastic. So it goes to say no mather the hype of the brand you will find gems and shitty exemple.

I have a first year LTD Ninja Amott sig that sounds awesome. The day i bought it, the first thing i did was playing it unplugged and what sold me to it was it's resonant and loud tone. I said to myself that pickups could be swaped if not to my liking but it starts with good wood. The jb/59 set on it is excellent.

On stage, do i look like a 37 yrs old kid with my LTD? Would i look more mature, serious, professional with a nice USA LP ? To many, yes. It's not a fun reality but it is none the less.

Brand image my freinds...

14. longfxukxnhair

longfxukxnhair Banned

Here is a pic of most of my Gibbys

[​IMG]

15. SkullCrusher

SkullCrusher SS.org Regular

Awesome guitars for the cash

16. jam3v

jam3v wat

Gotta say:

I finally got myself a 2009 Silverburst, and the thing sounds and plays incredible, for the price.

Granted, I'll probably only use it for the coverband thing, but it excels at that.

[​IMG]

17. goldsteinat0r

Thats sexy. :hbang:

Don't count it out for heavy stuff. Thats what they do best, I think.

18. engage757

engage757 Banned

:barf:New Gibsons...

19. Aztec

Aztec On a perennial quest

I really want to get a Traditional Pro. Anyone got one? Impressions?

20. goldsteinat0r

Almost bought one instead of my Studio. Fantastic guitar. Kinda the archetypal "Les Paul" as you think of it. Can do basically any Genre.