Gibson Les Paul

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by InHiding, Jun 4, 2020.

1. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I have a Private Stock Custom 22 and multiple Les Pauls, and they really couldn't be any different.

USMarine75 likes this.
  2. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

You'd be kind not to torture me. Please. :lol:

USMarine75 likes this.
  3. -niko-

-niko- SS.org Regular

I love my ’90 Custom. Solid and heavy. Terrible to balance when sitting and killing my back when standing But the sustain, sound and feel is priceless. I have to admit that I don’t play it enough anymore because it is just much easier to grab a super light Ibanez.

4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I love my LP's. Hands down my favorite guitars, but I have to agree with everyone on here on the comfort. They are not made for sitting down, and they do get heavy after a while. My advice - hit the gym, get huge! Then they won't feel so heavy. lol

5. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

I mean, I don't recall MusicMan JPs being that much heavier (or lighter) than an Ibanez JPM. But look what has become of John Petrucci since the switch.

Then:
    [​IMG]

Mid 2010s:
    [​IMG]

6. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

There is one giant issue with Les Paul. NO JUMBO Frets!!
    Never seen one with.

mikernaut likes this.
  7. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Love a Les Paul, it’s an icon and a gem and a brilliant guitar design, at the very least from a historical perspective and in so many more ways. We wouldn’t even be here if not for Les- he’s THE MAN!

But yeah they’re not the “greatest” for reasons already stated, and most important one is personal opinion obviously, but sometimes limitations push us.

I have a Studio that sounds great through any amp, and even though bling isn’t really my cup of tea, I wouldn’t turn down a nice custom!

8. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

budda likes this.
  9. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

100% agree. Before I bought mine, I went to the largest store I could find and played more than 10. There was a gorgeous lemon burst one but it just sounded super dead. I ended up with a tobacco burst one, which is not my favourite finish but it played and sound AWESOME. You should never buy one from photos online.

10. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

that's a pro, not a con

stevexc likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There have been a few artist models with bigger frets, I also think some of the GOTW stuff had "jumbo" frets, though all things are relative.

I think I'm missing some others, just off the top of my head.

12. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

There’s an incredible variety of Les Pauls made in the last 10-15 years, some of the more unique ones are not that easy to find used.

I got dizzy trying to figure out the different types on the Gibson Archive- there’s way too many, it makes your head spin!

I think it’s kind of funny how the internet puts out this idea that Gibson doesn’t innovate and always does the same thing...

Well I guess they are kind of doing the same old in 2020 more than any prior years. I wonder if history will view 2020 as the year Gibson “caved” to the Trolls, lol...

13. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I absolutely love Les Pauls and I think they sound massive and for me are comfortable to play. Ironically I don’t own a single one.

14. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

I had the Slash sig for a while, that one had medium Jumbos but eventually I was not comfortable enough with it. They might make one in the future with jumbos. Another Slash or a Black Custom with Jumbos would be ideal. I would like to own another LP at some point. The guitar does sound great.

15. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Gibson is a company that has an amazing line of products and for the past 40 years or so upper management has done everything in their power to absolutely trash the reputation and quality of the brand but it just won't die because they are so iconic. I'm only exaggerating a little bit.

That being said, my 2019 Les Paul classic is my favorite guitar...

... after gutting out and completely redoing the electronics. The difference between the PCB and the old school wiring with good quality 500k pots is night and day. The factory pickups are wonderful in any context, and even have a good split coil sound. The factory fret job was decent, but I think that for a $2000 guitar we should set our expectations a little higher than just DECENT, right? But I just love the aesthetic and the feel and the sound of my Gibson.

16. bigcupholder

bigcupholder SS.org Regular

I'd advise anyone looking for a Les Paul to try an ESP Eclipse. If they still feel the urge to get a Les Paul, then just get one and get it out of your system. Then when you move on to something comfortable that stays in tune and holds a setup you'll actually appreciate it instead of secretly wishing it was a Les Paul. You can't rationalize your desires. I think most people go through a Les Paul phase. It's perfectly natural.

Easy. A custom shop Telecaster. A Les Paul at least has features that make it understandably more expensive and it's a beautiful guitar. The Telecaster was meant to be as cheap to build as possible and looks like a kids woodshop project.

17. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

I have a real '62 Les Paul/SG. It's... ok? PAFs aren't my thing, it almost balances on a strap, and the neck joint is so poorly designed that flexing it almost has as much range as the OFR on my LTD M-1000.

A few months ago, I picked up a boat anchor of a LP Studio that played and sounded awesome. Ended up trading it for the above-mentioned M-1000, and I'm super glad I did. Not a better/worse thing, just suits me more.

My favorite Les Paul is a 20 year old very well done Chinese "replica" I recently acquired. It plays, feels, sounds, and really looks like a sweet LP burst.

18. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I have a 1975 LP Custom and it's lik wearing a boat anchor on your shoulders like someone else said. Not sure the true weight, I'd guess around 15 pounds. Even with a heavy duty strap it's rough.

I prefer super strat guitars and a thinner neck now a days though.

One thing I'll say is I've never really played another guitar that sounds as good through an amp as that guitar does. Sustain is insane, and the wood really makes it something else. I will never sell that guitar no matter what.

19. Amenthea

Amenthea SS.org Regular

My first guitar in 91 was a Hohner Rockwood LP copy. I still have it, and it still gets played. I have replaced all the hardware and electrics over the years due to wear (and going through a black hardware phase) but it is slinky with a nice D profile neck and I love it. I actually had 2 of them at one point, and the 2nd one wasn't anywhere near as nice to play.

I did eventually make my way to Gibsons and found that A) they are too heavy, B) the neck was too deep for my liking and C) it just didn't sound that much different to my £150 Hohner LP. Early this year before lockdown I went into my local and tried a lot of what they had as I wanted something new, and a EC-1000 in KOA landed in my lap. It was beautiful and I wanted to buy it, but in truth it felt exactly the same to play as my Hohner. Yes it was built better but for just over 1k there seemed little point in the purchase when it didn't offer anything new. I tried 2 LP Moderns and a standard and they were OK, but had cosmetic issues and sounded dull which for the price they were asking was not acceptable.

I ended up coming out of there with a PRS Holcomb in whale blue, which did have a completely different feel and was a nice change to what I'm used to. The only Gibson LP I've only ever had serious GAS for is the ltd Edition LPC Chambered Blackout in Orange. It's both hideous and Godly.

Chris Bowsman likes this.