Gibson Guitar CEO Gets ENRAGED If Someone Asks For a Day Off.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I cant believe this was on Gawker but hell, who doesnt enjoy guitar related drama!

Gibson Guitar CEO Gets ENRAGED If Someone Asks For a Day Off

"Gibson is not just a great American guitar company; it is also a hard to place to work, run by a CEO notorious for micromanagement and general bad temper. Would you like a day off for the holidays? "NO."

Gibson's CEO is Henry Juszkiewicz (pictured, with Slash), who became something of a right-wing darling a few years back after he managed to insinuate that a federal raid on his company for illegally importing Indian hardwood was motivated by his own political beliefs, rather than, you know, his company's importation of Indian Hardwood. Over the years, rumors of Juszkiewicz's unpleasantness as a boss have occasionally come our way. The website Glassdoor, where workers can anonymously write reviews of their employers, is full of Gibson employees railing about the company's "poor ownership," micromanagement from the top, and gripes about senior management, and the CEO in particular. "They actually get a thrill from firing people, they actually want you to fail, I have never seen anything like it," goes one representative example. Says another: "all of this stems from the CEO and his manic psychotic neurotic management style (he has to sign off on EVERYTHING: new hires, transfers within the company, promotions, raises, budgets, any funding for new parts or machines."

Today, we were forwarded this email sent by Henry Juszkiewicz late last month, replying to an employee who had requested a day off around Thanksgiving. We're told that something like 20 people were CC'd on this email chain. Does Gibson really have a "manic psychotic" CEO? You decide."

Subject: RE: Personal Day-Thanksgiving Approval requested

NO

I do not allow leaders to be absent the days before and after a holiday. I had asked Tom to make it clear, but apparently people have not understood or the communication was not clear.

You cannot take long weekends or long holidays unless there are special circumstances. You are leaders and these are work days. During work our leaders need to be there doing their jobs. Taking time off when other people cannot do so or causing insufficient staff during working periods shows a lack of responsibility and consideration for all that depend on our business to be there for them.

Henceforth vacations must be taken for a minimum of one week and must be scheduled well in advance. I will expect a vacation calendar from my direct reports for an entire year.

I will turn down all requests for long weekends and for periods of less than 5 contiguous days without special circumstances.

I also do not believe it is appropriate for a request of this kind is to be shared with others. This suggests where you are coming from [employee name]. I also do not appreciate being lied to about being ill so you can game the system to get what you want [employee name]. As soon as I return from my travels, I will schedule a private conversation about this.

I have counted on the personal integrity of people working with me and have refrained from putting in place a rigorous oversight system. I have asked our HR department to oversee this activity on a spot basis which they have not followed through on. The result is I am seeing a continued decline in decorum, a deterioration in discipline in terms of appropriate attire, coming and going on time and other issues that do not belong in a professional situation with executives that are supposed to be examples of appropriate behavior.

It is not alright to leave early Friday afternoon or arrive late on Monday morning. It is not alright to take extended lunches. The list of unprofessional behavior goes on.

We will be implementing HR policies that were developed at Philips and we have appointed [person] as our global head of Human Resources. These new policies will be promulgated throughout our group of companies and these will be enforced strongly. I will take the time to review these new policies with the people that report to me directly.

I will schedule a private meeting with you [employee name].

Henry

Henry E. Juszkiewicz

CEO – Gibson Brands, Inc.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a shitty place to work, no wonder QC has been so bad in recent years.

I do agree with him about going home early and arriving late though. I've never done it and would only ever do it in special circumstances (family bereavement for example).

It sounds like Gibson needs a CEO who enjoys guitars as much as making money. Not a businessman who doesn't relate to the people he's trying to sell guitars to.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
C'mon Henry, its hard enough making guitars with blindfolds on.. Just give em a day or two

:noplease:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I do agree with him about going home early and arriving late though.

Without having any context, I'd imagine an email like that was prompted by something. I've received some evil sounding communications from employers when taken out of context, but it was usually well deserved. No way to know without actually being there I guess.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Without having any context, I'd imagine an email like that was prompted by something. I've received some evil sounding communications from employers when taken out of context, but it was usually well deserved. No way to know without actually being there I guess.

My guess is someone interrupted a soulful jam session he was in the midst of..

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
this is probably kinda taken outta context, surely something would have caused him to send out a biting email such as this? maybe hes just a boss looking to stomp the BS or maybe hes a dickhead, idk

EDIT: and shouldnt the ceo of one of the worlds biggest and most historical guitar makers actually be able to play? :lol:

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
If this is primarily for his executive team (which it appears to be) then I've heard of worse. Those folks (execs) sacrifice a lot, working with pretty intense levels of stress and probably end up with a few years of their lives shaved off because of it, but man they make bank.

Or I could have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just a no-degree-having lab monkey.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I will bet my entire guitar collection that he's taking his holidays off.

This man is pretty much the epitome of the sociopathic mindset that our corporate culture has adopted. What a disgusting "human" being.

I feel like the workers at the factory who quite frankly crank out some fantastic guitars, deserve some basic human dignity to AT LEAST be able to take holidays off.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EDIT: and shouldnt the ceo of one of the worlds biggest and most historical guitar makers actually be able to play? :lol:

Leo Fender was notorious for not being a guitar player.

Though, the biggest difference between him and Nutty Uncle J. is that Leo actually LISTENED to guitar players. :

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
If only he cared less about vacation days and more about QC. It seems like he's micromanaging everything EXCEPT the build process.

Also, in typical internet guitar player fashion, I have to add one last thing...that guy's playing f-cking SUCKS!

iamnoah262

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not convinced this email is nearly as bad as it should have been to call him "manic" do I agree with his vacation policies? Not really. Does he seem like a douche? Yeah. Is this extreme for an email from a CEO railing on someone? I don't think so. Its not a very nice email but I don't think he said anything inappropriate.

michblanch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is he an asshole? Yup.
But are the policies he is putting in place out of the ordinary? No.

The music industry is run by investment groups and equity firms that only care about lowering overhead and cutting manhours.

Build up the numbers then sale the company to the next firm. There are not many companies out there anymore that are long term , slow burn profit makers.

Investors want return on dollar within 3 years. Pump and dump is the game.
I know this because of my business dealings and involvement in seeing the business decisions being made by people who have no love for the industry or craft they are involved in.

I have dealt with psychopathic CEO's who use the divide and conquer technique.
Which is , have all upper management fighting each other. This gives cause to terminate "Non Team players" , which helps bring in lower paid executives who don't know what is truly happening. This makes the board of directors view the CEO as the only experienced enough person to run the business.

Small changes to benefits line the pockets:
Companies are now in positions to drop your health care, because it is cheaper to pay the fine on Obamacare that to pony up money to insurance companies, and offer you a benefit. Which leaves the employee either taking Obamacare at a high rate or having it taken from his tax return by the govt during tax season.

This is one of the dirtiest tricks ever. Large companies with a very large workforce actually make a profit off of their own sick employees.
How?
Ever wonder why your insurance doesn't cover the the medicine it covered last month?

Large Employers negotiate with Pharma and Insurance companies to only pay for certain medications. You pay your share of the medicine thinking "I'm glad I have insurance".
It cost nothing to manufacture meds.
Your Ins. co. And Employer have already negotiated a dirt price for that prescription.
The Pharma / Insurance / and Employer divvy up your money.
"You make it to work we make a profit. You don't come to work because your sick.
We make a profit!"

There are so many tricks it's insane.
"Hey , let's get a tax credit on our electric bill for the last several years"
"Hey, we can get a tax credit from the govt if we hire certain segments of the population".
"Hey, let's reclassify our product as unfinished goods by not putting 3 screws in it. Then we can not pay high tax rates on them. Then we will tell the employees that we are not profitable so they won't ask for raises and are grateful to just have a job. Sorry no Christmas Bonuses we didn't make a profit.
But what we will keep a secret is the tax return and credits we get at the end of the year that we can keep for ourselves".

I hate the corporate side of business. You think the Govt is screwing you? Go look your employer in the face.

Now that is a RANT.

ElysianGuitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is he an asshole? Yup.
But are the policies he is putting in place out of the ordinary? No.

To me, this just says there's something wrong with the ordinary, business-wise. Companies care less and less about the people who make them money and more and more about the money itself.

michblanch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To me, this just says there's something wrong with the ordinary, business-wise. Companies care less and less about the people who make them money and more and more about the money itself.

Exactly.
It's not one particular political party that lets this happen. It's all of them.

The Keystone Pipeline is not a debate about the environment.
The Public is made to think that this is a political issue thru rhetoric and catchphrases.
Keystone is nothing compared to some of the projects going on at this time.
How is Utica, Bakken, Marcelus and Eagleford oil making it to market?
Those fields are larger and less expensive to process than Tarsands.

This is about (2) Massive companies wanting to build this project.
Kinder Morgan and Keystone Energy.
Both companies donate an insane amount of money to both parties. And members of both parties OWN stock in these businesses, thru retirement plans or straight up stock.

Who ever gets the pipeline is going to enrich one of our political parties.

The pipeline is going to get built. There is no stopping it.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Now i feel pretty ashamed for owning 4 Gibson Guitars.:ugh:
It´s always the same, Money rules the World and that´s why People get f.... disgusting.
I bought a Lzzy Hale Explorer and thought it was way too expensive. Now i think, it wasn´t cheap but hopefully they treat their Workers in a better Way.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
No one else noticed this?
"I also do not appreciate being lied to about being ill so you can game the system to get what you want [employee name]. As soon as I return from my travels, I will schedule a private conversation about this."
Might be a bad place to work, but this would make me pretty angry too if I was running a company. More context needed. What is a "leader"?

michblanch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now i feel pretty ashamed for owning 4 Gibson Guitars.:ugh:
It´s always the same, Money rules the World and that´s why People get f.... disgusting.
I bought a Lzzy Hale Explorer and thought it was way too expensive. Now i think, it wasn´t cheap but hopefully they treat their Workers in a better Way.

You are not the issue. We are made to think we can change the mentality of companies thru our dollars.

Some of Gibsons largest endorsers get on TV and stage and talk about rights of workers and people.
Dave Grohl , Sheryl Crowe, Tom Morello, Eddie Vedder, Taylor Swift, Neal Young. But not 1 of them will speak out against the company that puts millions of dollars in their pockets.

For every person like you who says screw Gibson, these endorsers are signing up 3-4.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
I didn´t say " Screw Gibson " but it kinda makes me sad after reading this and i´ll think twice before i ever buy a new Gibson again .
But you´re right, it doesn´t matter if we buy their Guitars. Guess they won´t change their Mindset .