Gibson Gary Moore ? WTF

twiztedchild

Banned
Reaction score
When i tested that guitar, the switch was a 2 position, one position turned off the guitar signal...

According to the shop thats because garry likes the effect in the sound of quickly turning off and on the sound of the guitar...

:scratch: so there is really only use for one pickup? if that is the case WHY the hell did they put in two?

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Tom Morello. Buckethead does a lot of the same thing although I think Tom was first of the two...Randy Rhoads and Van Halen have both used the same trick, as well as a couple of others who's names escape me :)

twiztedchild

Banned
Reaction score
Tom Morello. Buckethead does a lot of the same thing although I think Tom was first of the two...Randy Rhoads and Van Halen have both used the same trick, as well as a couple of others who's names escape me :)

yeah thats the dude. :lol:

I just remembered that My old AX7221's had a weird switch issue like this. IF I had the Neck pickups volume down and put he switch in the middle it shut off the guitars sound but when I brought the neck volume up the sound came back :scratch:

PnKnG

Banned
Reaction score

I just remembered that My old AX7221's had a weird switch issue like this. IF I had the Neck pickups volume down and put he switch in the middle it shut off the guitars sound but when I brought the neck volume up the sound came back :scratch:

On every LP I tried it does this to. Seems something with the design of a 3 way toogle switch that makes this happening.

Also about Tom Morello. Tom uses 2 different "technics" to do the killswitching. As examples we can take his 2 most famous guitars.
Arm The Homeless (ATH) and Soul Power (SP).
On ATH he turns down the volume on the neck pickup to 0 and leaves the bridge at 10. Than he toggles via a 3 way switch between the bridge and the neck. The same thing can be done on every guitar with 2 seperated volume pots.
On SP he has an actually killswitch (2 way toggle switch). The switch just grounds the whole guitar signal. I have turn my Kramer into a copy of SP.

As some already said RR and Eddie have done it before Tom via the ATH technic. But Tom was the first that actually used it as a playing/picking technic.
The way Buckethead does it (a button instead of a switch) is faster but I like switching more. Just looks more stylish.

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When i tested that guitar, the switch was a 2 position, one position turned off the guitar signal...

According to the shop thats because garry likes the effect in the sound of quickly turning off and on the sound of the guitar...

:noplease:

the BFGs, rather, all of bfgs come with 3 control knobs which control vol/vol/tone. then comes with two toggle knobs. one is a kill switch which only has two positions. garry doesnt have that on his other les paul, so it not something 'he likes'. the second switch is a 3 way toggle...

P-90's dont create that twang that the green/moore guitar had. its just a different pickup that combines whatever the singlecoil and the humbucker produces. it creates this harsh tone that is really really aggressive, but it also sobers down rather easily with the control of the volume knob. you can see em being used in random metal bands, but also in more mellow stuff like david gilmors gold top les paul

and for all you guys bitching about one thing or another. here. the exact same guitar with same features with the exception of the guitar looking like all other les pauls
http://www.gibson.com/press/usa/product/2007_GotW/Q3 2007 Guitars/LPSBEBCH1_.JPG

PnKnG

Banned
Reaction score
I don't get why they put a killswitch on an LP. ITS ALREADY BUILT IN. just turn down 1 on the pickups to 0 and toggle with the 3 way switch.

Russell

Banned
Reaction score
i believe gibsonare doing there best to finally put there company out of buisness ,totally shocking send that back and ask for an apollogy.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Off-topic, Okeechobee is an awesome-sounding name! :hbang: Those native americans and their crazy words.

On-topic. The way volume knobs work in a guitar is that the volume pot bleeds the electric signal to ground and this draining of electricity is varied by the moving internals of the pot. Since guitar electronics are wired in series, when you put the switch of a Les Paul in the middle and turn one of the volumes all the way down, both pickups' entire electric signals are sent to ground by that one pot. It sucks. That's why I always mod my guitars to have only on volume pot. I never use those quirky "one-volume on 5, the other on 8" settings anyways, and to tell you the truth, I get confused as to what volume knob I need to turn down to cut the sound off in the adrenaline rush on stage.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I would never buy a production Gibson anymore unless I had a chance to inspect and play it first. The fact that the neck was set in too low on this one is absolutely unforgivable. There is literally nothing you could do to fix it, short of removing the neck and putting on a different one.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
stitch said:
I'd hate them more if they weren't so damn easy to sell. It feels like I'm clubbing baby seals when I watch my customer leave the shop.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.