Gibson DIP switch functions

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Descent, May 11, 2019.

1. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I think MusicMan came out with this first, where you can do tweaks to your pickup selector wiring without modifying the guitar.

This looks quite cool, wonder who else makes something similar:
    [​IMG]

Now I want something like that but switchable outside on the guitar. I guess eventually it'll get down to the old BCRich Warlock designs

[​IMG]

777timesgod likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

PMT Guitar Max

3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

It sure adds a variety of tones to an HP Les Paul guitar but there are way too many options especially if you play live on stage and you half to think about all these options? I like keeping it simple.

;>)/

c7spheres likes this.
  4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

This is a cool idea. I think it's great for recording or figuring out what you want from a guitar, but over the years I've realized that all I ever use or need is my bridge pickup 99% of the time and the neck the other 1%. My guitar also has piezo's with all the blending mixing etc on it and I never use it. Only the piezo sound, never blended etc. The tones are good and I may use them someday for recording, but I never really found the need since the last 20 years having it. I have revisited the tones hundreds of times over this time period cause I like them, but I just don't need them. I find I can get what I want by simple gain adjustments to the front end of my amp slam (volume knob on guitar/sound sculpture volcano, not amp) and with my fingers and pick position. The pick I use is more important to me actually. I love when this is done on effects pedals and stuff though. I think if you get this system and figure out the tones, you'd probably just end up using the same few tones, but you'd have recording options and really know about what tones you're looking for if needed. Or if you jam in multiple bands you could change up settings, like going from metal to blues to jazz etc. this would be great, especially if you played jazz or blues on a Warlock! That's what those genres are missing, imo, Warlocks : )

XPT707FX and Descent like this.
  5. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

My mainstay is MM Steve Morse, it has 11 tone options, so you can see how I might be drawn to these.
    The Gibson is nice, you can pick what config you want and leave it there.

XPT707FX, Strobe and c7spheres like this.
  6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Right on but that's not the point, that's why they're mostly internal dip switches and not 15 knobs on the outside of the guitar lol. The idea is you find your tone and that's it. It's great because, if you find yourself getting sick of the set tone, you can always tweak it later on. Or if you buy a new pedal or amp and it all of a sudden doesn't play well, you can modify as needed. I think it's brilliant but maybe that's just me.

XPT707FX, Masoo2, BlackSG91 and 2 others like this.
  7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I think the market for that is relatively small.

8. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

You know how usually when you solo you slap the switch all the way to the front or all the way to the back to change the tonality?

Well...it'd be nice to wire the middle pickup as top if you don't want the neck in top position, and so forth...

Music Man came up with something like that few years ago, not sure if it stayed on.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Again, the PMT Guitar Max is what you're looking for. You can buy used/NOS ones while they develop the new version as well.

They're the company that got into a legal battle with EBMM over the Game Changer, which was basically the Guitar Max repackaged.

The folks over at Guitar Electronics can help you out with any info you might need.

10. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Gibson has actually had some great ideas along the way...

777timesgod likes this.
  12. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Game Changer...that's it. Interesting to mention that I had arrived at pretty much the same design and was about looking to patent it same year Game Changer appeared...boy, was I disappointed :)

So, MM doesn't offer the Game Changer anymore? I was hoping to eventually get one of the stock guitars they sell with one.