Gibson 2020: '70s V/Explorer, Adam Jones, and Tony Iommi sig models

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 12, 2020.

1. fps

fps Kit

Oh no. An Adam Jones signature model. Oh no.

2. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

There is absolutely nothing 70s about those Vs. Like literally all they did was take the same standard V they were making for the last 30 years and slap some pickup rings on it and paint the headstock to match the body. It's a 90s 67 reissue body with a 57 headstock. Pickguard is not right. Headstock is not right. Tuners not right. No volute. Neck is mounted at an angle and the fretboard is almost flush to the body. 70s necks were mounted parallel with the body and the fretboard was high up off the body. Wrong knobs. Wrong bridge. I just left a log in the toilet that bears equal resemblance to a 70s Flying V.

3. Rotatous

Rotatous SS.org Regular

I don't care what they're called. They're still rad.

mlp187 and park0496 like this.
  4. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Adam Jones "sig" start out life as just an off-the-shelf Les Paul? If so, what's so "siggy" about it? As far as I can see, it's just a Les Paul with a burst paintjob.

fps likes this.
  5. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Not just a silverburst paint job, a teardrop shaped burst—the ugliest kind. I think it has a JB in the bridge or something like that too. Maybe it has some relicing like his too. Should be everything you’d need for some monotonous drop D riffing.

Mathemagician and Ataraxia2320 like this.
  6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

As if I needed more reason not to buy it, now I find out it has a JB in it? Pathetic.

failsafe likes this.
  7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I don't think they'll be JB's. More likely Duncan Distortions or a custom/vintage version of those. Whether that's better or worse is up to you.

8. fps

fps Kit

Good, good. Comments like these are helping me.

9. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Gibson is already doing Explorer sigs with the FFDP guy Jason Hook. In their view that probably more than covers that niche.

I’m hugely disappointed no one here has mentioned Airborne!!!!

fps likes this.
  10. Deadpool_25

I’m not a Gibson aficionado, so I’m legitimately curious. What is ever “siggy” about Les Pauls? Like...what’s so special about Slash’s or Bonamassa’s, etc? I’m thinking just pickups and maybe colors? Oh I guess neck shape as well?

11. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

For those guys, it’s more about the name drop because they’ve played them pretty much their whole careers.

The one Slash got famous with wasn’t even a Gibson, it was a luthier built copy that Gibson ended up copying themselves for his sig.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

You have it more or less. Bridges too occasionally. But that’s not really any different than the 50 different signature Strats that Fender makes.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  13. Deadpool_25

Ah. Yeah that’s what I figured. Cool. Well I’ve been lucky enough to hold Adams number one and if is sig model is like that it’ll be HEAVY. Also the neck is quite chunky, but not crazily so. I am curious if they decide to relic it. His is pretty well beat to hell.

Oh and I’ll laugh if they put that makes-no-sense screw in it. I’m pretty sure they won’t but it’d be hilarious imo.

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It really depends on the specific model and what price point it sits at, how it's going to be marketed.

They can do anything from taking an off the shelf model and changing up the finish or pickups, to full on exact replicas of unique artist owned guitars.

Gibson has the capabilities to do just about anything, and usually don't give the artist too many limits. Things like neck shape, body weight range, hardware, pickups, body thickness/size, materials, finish/graphics, headstock, etc. are all on the table.

Guys like Slash and Bonamassa rarely play off the shelf guitars, sticking with thier various CS models and vintage pieces, so they usually target collectors with special runs.

A good example would be Buckethead's LP. He wanted a longer (28") scale and a bigger body (10% larger silhouette), multiple kill switches, no inlay, and custom hardware and it wasn't a problem.

Gibson sigs, like many brands, are only ever as interesting as the artists who spec them.

Deadpool_25 likes this.