Giant Steps for guitar

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by buck fever, Apr 11, 2020.

1. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

Does anyone have tabs or chord changes for Coltrane’s Giant Steps on guitar?

2. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

I mean this in the nicest way possible, if you need someone to provide tabs or write chord positions for you then you need to stay very far away from a piece like Giant Steps.

ElRay and ramses like this.
  3. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

Haha. Always at least one cork sniffer in a jazz room.

I’ve been playing that chart for 20 years. A friend’s kid is getting into jazz guitar and I don’t have time to give him lessons right now. I figured I’d do what I could to gather charts for him, since that’s what got me going when I was 16.

It’s that attitude that keeps tribal knowledge from being passed down. If someone wants to try to play along with something challenging, so be it. Let them stumble and fail; if they’re determined enough they’ll eventually get it. And everyone is a different type of student - nothing wrong with starting out on chord charts.

4. TGN

TGN SS.org Regular

Maybe this site is of help:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/giant-steps/

Chords and some useful ideas around how to comp and solo over it.

(If someone is just getting into jazz I don't think this is a good starting point, though.)

USMarine75, bostjan and buck fever like this.
  5. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

I flat out don't believe you started playing Giant Steps with any success getting into jazz at age 16 if that's what you meant. Do the kid a favour and recommend some actual approachable pieces, there's more to being a good teacher than saying have a go (and fail in this case) at anything you want. Why don't you just point him to some solid resources yourself,

And as for me being a cork sniffer I'm far from well versed in jazz guitar, why don't you drop the dumb insult and actually justify why Giant Steps is a good place for a beginner to start.

6. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Wrong.

It's ^^^THAT^^^ attitude. If you were serious about helping the kid out, you'd make time. Clearly, you're not when you basically came to a forum to ask someone else to do something for you, when a pretty simple internet search would yield adequate results.

triangles and budda like this.
  7. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

Some of is have full time jobs, pal, but thanks for the input. Pulling together materials for a youngster is a pretty good effort, I think.

And isn’t this the same as an internet search? Isn’t that exactly what this is for? Maybe you and Lemons can get together on a zoom call and sniff corks together!

8. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

I didn’t ask anyone to do anything *for* me. I just asked if anyone had resources, similar to 90% of all posts on this site. I’ve been here since 2011, and that’s been our way a a group, to use one another as resources.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'd recommend some easier pieces as well. Giant Steps is fine to include in a collection, but for a beginner, it's a stupidly difficult song just to follow along. My first foray into jazz was more along the lines of Red Top, Minor Swing, and Autumn Leaves. Songs like Giant Steps are really directed toward impressing other musicians.

But if it's in there with a bunch of other charts, I think it's nice of you to provide some support.

akinari, buck fever and Lemons like this.
  10. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

If you're going to continue slinging insults at me why don't you at least address what I had to say. No one cares that you're asking for resources on this site, asking for tabs of Giant Steps for a beginner to get into jazz guitar just shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how to help this kid out.

11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'd love some tabs for it. Tab's save time for us slower folks : )

USMarine75 and buck fever like this.
  12. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

There was a pretty aggressive quote earlier, but it was deleted. I’d take mine down, but I’m actually not sure how to delete a post.

Anyways, here’s the thing. You’re making a ton of assumptions. This kid is 17, is drum major in his high school band, has played piano (including jazz) since he was 4, is an amazing woodwind player and is just now picking up guitar. He’s been taking music theory since middle school, and is dual enrolled in community college, not only taking credits for a jazz theory class (his first semester), but also taking guitar lessons once a week. I said that they’re ‘just getting into jazz guitar’, not, ‘they just learned what music is and they’re curious’.

I didn’t owe you that. I just asked for simple chord chart that I have in my Real Book. I’ve gotten it to him at this point, but yesterday I was at work and was just going to shoot him a quick email if someone had it on hand. Big freaking deal. You don’t need those details, and I don’t need to be told how to teach someone. I learned the chord changes to all of Giant Steps, Blue Train and Bumpin’ by Wes Montgomery all before I left high school. And how did I do it? I took music theory in community college as a dual enrollment and I bought a Real Book, then practiced my ass off.

edit: It’s super important as a teacher to assess your student’s abilities and learning style. Everyone is different. It’s our job to recognize that and build on it.

Anyways. Best of luck on your journey.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  13. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

I do agree with all of this and totally appreciate the constructive comment. Although, if you just remember it’s mostly continuous II-IV-I progressions just separated by a major third, it can come together fairly easy. And it’s just the type of song to light a fire of excitement under a young musicians butt!

14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

SOMEONE PUT UP THE TAB ! ! !

buck fever likes this.
  15. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

here you go...

e—————————————————
    B—————————————————
    G—————————————————
    D—————————————————
    A—————————————————
    E—0—0—0—1–0–0–0–0–0–0–0–3

budda, c7spheres and buck fever like this.
  16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Damn! That is some crazy changes there. This is gonna take me months : )

jaxadam likes this.
  17. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

I'm not sure what you don't understand about the fact that you asked for tabs, there's a huge difference between asking for that and a chord chart. Of course I inferred that neither him nor you had a solid understanding asking for guitar tabs to that piece. It's almost as if you could've included all the relevant information in your initial post, we could've avoided you getting so upset about either him or you being labelled as a beginner.

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

So what you guys are saying is that, maybe he should start with little steps?

D-Nasty, USMarine75, StevenC and 4 others like this.
  19. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Well here's a video. I haven't watched it all yet, but Beato seems to know his stuff from Other stuff I've seen from him. There's a chord chart he shows too. As a side note, his kids got that perfect pitch too which is crazy, but that's a differnt video. These people are all crazy.

USMarine75 and akinari like this.
  20. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

‘Tabs or chord changes’. OR.

I don’t need to qualify a request for a chord chart. Get over it.