Ghost Bath live gave me things to think about...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Metaguitarist, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Metaguitarist

Metaguitarist SS.org Regular

So I went to see Ghost Bath perform last night here in Portland, Oregon. I have lived here my whole life but had never set foot inside the Crystal Ballroom, a venue we are well known for. This concert was held in Lola's Room, which was really cool. It had a spacious floor, plenty of tables, a bar, and several comfortable couches, which my girlfriend and I utilized after having arrived early.

Originally I purchased my tickets for the event to see He Whose Ox Is Gored, a recent favorite of mine. I had the pleasure of seeing them last time they came to Portland, and they are awesome people to talk to. Brian and Lisa gave me a lot of confidence to continue to pursue my own music, despite the difficulty of doing so with a child and limited financial resources. Just a couple days before the show, I checked out Ghost Bath by watching their two music videos and was really excited to see him/them perform.

Agalloch was the 2nd metal band I ever saw live, and they were the first extreme metal band that I ever really loved. My friend had introduced me to Opeth when I was about 15, but my musical mind wasn't ready for the harsh vocals at that stage. But then I heard The Mantle. I didn't know what Post-rock was, but I fell completely in love, and Ashes Against the Grain became my most listened album for a few years. I definitely get my sense of melody and song structure from Agalloch.

Seeing Ghost Bath last night brought me back to that first time seeing Agalloch back in 2006, when I was only 18 and didn't know .... about the music scene. I was essentially a doe-eyed kid all over again. The honesty, the seriousness of Ghost Bath's performance shook me to the core. It made me think about life, death, desires, needs, existence. It was unfortunate I had to share the evening with a few morons who liked to yell stupid .... for laughs anytime it was quiet between songs. After the first song, there was almost 20 seconds of what I believe was stunned silence from nearly all 40 people in the crowd before said idiots yelled a few things. During those 20 silent, contemplative, alien-feeling seconds, I was in another world, living another life. It was as if, the culmination of Ghost Bath's obvious years of work were slammed into my mind, pumped into my blood. In the first 10 minutes of his music, I experienced the years of hard work and pain he went through for his art.

I don't go to shows as often as I should, a trend I'm looking to change. The other bands that night were also good. I was especially surprised by the local openers, Urchin. It is a two piece consisting of a tiny female drummer and scuzzy bearded guitarist vocalist, whom like to describe their music as Sea Sludge. I was really surprised by the depth of sonic textures they were able to produce with such a limited number of people on stage. Check them out at https://thebandurchin.bandcamp.com/, I think they are onto something very promising, lots of talent here.

Thanks Ghost Bath, HWOIG, Urchin, and Underling, for a great night out. I will see you all again.

2. CGrant109

CGrant109 SS.org Regular

I don't have much to say to this, but I loved your description of " I was essentially a doe-eyed kid all over again. The honesty, the seriousness of Ghost Bath's performance shook me to the core. It made me think about life, death, desires, needs, existence. It was unfortunate.... After the first song, there was almost 20 seconds of what I believe was stunned silence from nearly all 40 people in the crowd before said idiots yelled a few things. During those 20 silent, contemplative, alien-feeling seconds, I was in another world, living another life. It was as if, the culmination of Ghost Bath's obvious years of work were slammed into my mind, pumped into my blood. In the first 10 minutes of his music, I experienced the years of hard work and pain he went through for his art.".

I've had a few concert experiences similar to that, and it's a very out-of-body experience that reshapes your consciousness and sits with you for days after the show. Very inspiring feeling that you don't tend to find elsewhere, for me at least. I'll have to check out Ghost Bath live if they're ever in Chicago.

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

... He Whose Ox Is Gored... :lol: Your generation is totally out of good band names.

That said, its awesome when a band delivers the goods and make you fall in love with the music all over again. There have been a few shows over the years that have done that for me - going back to Metallica in 86 and Zappa in 88 to L'Arc En Ciel just a couple years ago. When you feel that thing inside you go aflutter, you know the band is playing more than just the strings on their guitars.

4. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

Your extremely eloquent review inspired me to check them out (I hadn't heard of them before); I'm really enjoying Moonlover. It has a very authentic sound, down to the sometimes noticeably imperfect performances. It's a breath of fresh air in an age of overly polished production.

It sounds like the live show was a real experience! Experiences like that just make you realize how life wouldn't be the same without music.

5. Metaguitarist

Metaguitarist SS.org Regular

I'm glad to have turned you on to them. Its been a very long time since words failed to describe an experience I had. Ill be seeing Ne Obliviscaris tonight, so I really am getting out to more shows. Tonight will be very different, however.