GGD STUDIO CABS: CALI OVERSIZED

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Lorcan Ward, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I don't really keep up with amp sims since the market has become oversaturated but this one caught my eye. Nolly is so excited to unveil it and I'm really digging the sound samples. Of course those 4 guys are going to make anything sound good so I'd be interested to hear what its like in the public. The export tool for using with fractal, line6, Kemper etc is a really cool addition.

https://www.getgooddrums.com/collections/plugins/products/ggd-studio-cabs-cali-oversized-edition

2. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

If you haven't seen the Nolly interview from Kristian Kohle, I recommend checking it out. It's pretty interesting, and they go super in depth to the differences in the cabs/speakers over the years.

3. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

My go to IR, the one that always has that "tone" that my ear likes is a Mesa oversized from Ownhammer. Interested to try this out

4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I'll check it out. Speakers and cabs must be a never ending obsession.

5. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

I use GGD Studio Cabs: Zilla Edition for some stuff and wondered for a while when they'd come out with a Mesa edition.

I'll probably check this out, but the Zilla one does have quite a few quirks that I hope they've worked out for this one. It always reverts to the hugest interface size, it hogs CPU like crazy, and all the presets have the gain nudged up a little, a cheap tactic that makes them sound better than they really are in direct comparison to other IRs. On the other hand, once you settle on a sound you can export it into one's IR loader of choice, bypassing all these issues.

I agree about that Kohler interview too. I learned a lot and Nolly is a joy.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You know, argubly one of the perks of using "real amps" is you spend remarkably little time thinking about this stuff. :lol: I just bought a good-sounding Tremoverb cab and haven't looked back.

Mics, on the other hand... :lol:

Crungy likes this.
  7. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I want to pull the trigger but I am sceptical at how much better these are going to be compared to the stock cabs in the neural dsp plugins.

Anyone have any a/b clips. No demo on the Cali stuff so I'm at the mercy of people who dropped the cash sight unseen.

8. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

There's something weird about microphones. They're unexplainably awesome. If I was rich I would spend everything on microphones. Especially vintage ones.

c7spheres and CanserDYI like this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, the one thing that a cab and mic does over an impulse, as good as impulses have gotten... as you have infinite gradients of tone from making slight mic position tweaks, and while this is also their curse - slightly jostling a mic could make a significant difference to how your recorded tone sounds - it gives you a LOT of control while tracking.

10. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I would argue that the curse of mic'ing a cab is that you need the space to do it without neighbors wanting to kill you lol

noise in my mind and beavis2306 like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Eh, that really depends on your amp. I've gotten tones I'm really happy with out of my Mark V at very condo-friendly volumes, to the point where sometimes I have to be careful about the acoustic bleed of the strings on my guitar into the close mics.

12. kidmendel

kidmendel SS.org Regular

This. I would use a cab and mic if I could, not because I think it sounds better but because I think it'd be more fun. But in an apartment building, not practical for me.

One day...

Helix and IRs in the meantime and I can keep dreaming :D

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  13. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Been messing around with mainly the presets but these sound pretty damn good

14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

It's fine, after a few years you won't hear the neighbours any longer.

Randy likes this.
  15. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I'm sure it sounds great. But there's no shortage of Mesa cab impulse responses in the world. I think every single IR maker has done a bunch with pretty much every combination ever. Ownhammer will sell a pack of 100+ IRs with almost every single mic you could imagine.

Nolly himself has also done Mesa cab IRs for his own NeuralDSP signature plugin, and I assume the Gojira suite is also a Mesa cab. It's just really hard to "justify" this one, to be honest.

CanserDYI likes this.
  16. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

I went ahead and spent the 40 bucks and yeah, I have a bunch of other Mesa/V30 IRs, but whether due to a lack of patience to wade through hundreds of them to find my favorites or because of Nolly's legwork to find the best sounding cabs & speakers, this plugin sounds better than my previous go-tos.

I still like the variety of using non-Mesa/V30 IRs sometimes, because yeah, everybody uses Mesas/V30s. But maybe I'm basic because I feel like my IR search is over (for a while, at least).

c7spheres likes this.
  17. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

Not really into these at all… incredibly dark, ridiculously dark to me. Compared to stl tonality lasse lambert suite, these sound like they have a blanket over them.

18. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

Make sure you're using the bright/dark knob, since that's somewhat oddly how they've characterized mic placement. If you like your mic on the speaker cap then you'll want to crank it.

(That knob causes a new IR to load every so often along the dial, made clear by turning it slowly and listening for the sound to change, or by turning it too quickly and watching your DAW crash)

Oh and that new EQ switch might not be your thing if you like a more open tone so make sure that's off.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  19. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Yeah this won't get my money this time around, bought the ownhammer Recto pack and it sounds almost identical to the real Mesa cab I had at the time if you ask me at least. So similar it didn't even matter.

I think we've kinda peaked on this type of product if you ask me. Also is this a plug in instead of a wav file? I couldn't even load this in my helix could I?

20. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

That and the fact that I always have to export a track in realtime processing whenever I have an instance of Zilla on the project, or else Cubase crashes. Hate that.