Getting started recording

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by _Bleak, Sep 16, 2011.

1. _Bleak

_Bleak Member

So, I'd like to start recording but I have no idea how to go about that.

For some reason my system doesn't play nice with pro tools so that's a no go.

Basically I just want to pretty much plug and play. I'm not looking to do real production or anything. I just want something where I plug in, hit record, and the recording sounds like what I'm playing. I tried using an M-Audio interface with Ableton, and I could never get the tone I was looking for, and just overall didn't like how it worked.

2. holland1945

holland1945 SS.org Regular

For future reference there is a recording/studio section on this site. Not jumping your ass or anything. I just noticed it myself a few weeks ago and I have been a member for over a year. If you are looking for just plug and play there are a couple options people like. The new guitar rig and peavey re-valver are spoken of pretty highly around here. I have also heard some nice sounds from pod farm. Those are the programs I would look into first.

3. GhostsofAcid

GhostsofAcid SuiƧmez fanboy

If you're looking for free there's audacity (freeware) and reaper (shareware).

4. xeL

xeL SS.org Regular

Pod x3 and Audacity for me is uber plug and play, the Pod is automatically identified as the default recording input and all I need to do is hit the record button in Audacity to get an identical representation of the sound.

Is the interface recognised as a recording input in windows/mac?

5. Bryan Griffin

Bryan Griffin Member

For simplicity, Audacity is great...but I cannot recommend Reaper highly enough! Revalver is pretty damn good but I've only ever used the trial version and could never get the tone exactly right - more of a patience thing on my part though :noplease:.

6. mikemueller2112

mikemueller2112 SS.org Regular

What are the specs of your computer?

7. mikemueller2112

mikemueller2112 SS.org Regular

And I feel very interesting

and I feel very interesting

mods you can just delete this when you ban him, but that needed emphasis

8. tvboy123

tvboy123 Well-Known Member

Agree 100% :yesway:

9. Woodmaister

Woodmaister Banana Crab

+1 on this. Audacity's great for simply recording, and Reaper's such an underrated DAW. For VST's, you have a choice between Revalver, Pod Farm and Guitar Rig. If you want some hardware, the Pod X3 is a sweet choice for something cheap that delivers great tone.

10. Ghost40

Ghost40 Dude Contributor

I recently used Reaper, it was fairly simple and straight forward. Pleny of help on the software. It pretty much allowed me to make recordings start to finish that ended with decent quality. I did move on the Cakewalk X1. As far as interfaces, I am using a Engl e530 preamp into a Line 6 UX2, and finishing off with Impulse for cab sims. I am getting a quality I am extremely happy with.

But there are things to consider, your system specs and budget. But the guys here have been great at answering questions