Getting better at bass again

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by jonajon91, Mar 25, 2015.

1. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

I used to be a pretty competent bassist about a year ago and I would put in at least an hour practice a day (I say practice, lets call it playing). Anyway, I have not been able to play so much other than at my local big band, but that does not push my playing so much. I have been playing my six string again for the last few days and busting out some prog standards, but I can just feel that I am not as good as I was not so long ago. Whats the best way to approach getting better again, should I just play lots or should I do exercises and stretches ETC. Should I use this as an opportunity to re-work a technique? Have any of you guys had similar problems in the past?

2. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Make sure you play slowly enough to get things right. You may have been able to play cleanly at a certain speed before but that might not be so achievable now, so take your time.

3. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

Just play, it doesn't really matter what. You need to get back the feel for the instrument and it'll take a few days, perhaps weeks due to being away for a year.
    It helps to throw in some technique and timing exercises to supplement.

But as long as you're playing something you'll get there.

4. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

What helped me were two things:

Playing over groovy loops at different tempos. And to force myself to play repetitive steps over and over.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel either. I already know how to play (I did it for years) Constantly practicing .... you already do well isn't going to get most people playing music. You've got to force yourself to find that sweet spot note and groove wise.

5. JohnnyVerKlempt

JohnnyVerKlempt Music Maniac

Play with a metronome, or better yet a drummer one on one. Keeping time is what you must master over all else as a bass player. If what you play has to simple musically in order to keep time, don't worry, the technicality will grow with time. And of course, keeping a good Balance between your practicing and gigging is key, will get improve your playing significantly. Just remember, you drive the bus:cool: