Getting a new seven string for live and studio use

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Depraved, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Depraved

Depraved SS.org Regular

Hello, I'm looking to get a seven string that can keep my guitar sounding tight and djenty ( we are not a djent band but love the tightness ) in tunings Drop G-F ( and possibly drop E, not sure yet )

I've been looking for something we can use that would fit our sound perfectly in the studio, as we use a lot of feedback and harmonics but also want to keep our chugs low and skull crushing. I'll just also use it live until I can afford to maybe get another guitar if it's not so astounding live.

I've been looking for a long time, and as my band is now prepping to record our debut EP, we're getting some more professional equipment before heading to the studio.

I've been extremely interested in the Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27, but I'm wondering two things.

1. Is this even a good choice? I'd like to go with the best choice within a similar price range.

2. Which of these would be better for the tunings???

This one
    Ibanez RGIR27 Iron Label Electric Guitar, 7-String, Walnut Flat

Or this one?
    Ibanez Iron Label RG Series RGIR27BFE Fixed Bridge 7-String Electric Guitar Flat Walnut | Musician's Friend

Also what's with the weird nut on the first one? Like what's it's purpose?

2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I would probably aim for 27"+ scale if you're going down to F or E.

The problem you're gonna run into is the thickness of strings you'll need to get to that tuning won't sound that tight, just because of how thick they have to be to maintain tension on a 25.5" scale neck. This is where the longer scale helps a lot.

You might be able to do what you want on a 25.5" neck, but IMO it will be a lot easier with a longer scale.

3. Depraved

Depraved SS.org Regular

Yeah I've considered that, do you have any recommendations with a 27" similar to this guitar?

4. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Tunings you want fixed bridge, unless you do actually use a floyd in that case you'd probably want a tremol-no along with it.

EMG 707s IMO have never been the tightest and thats only a 25.5 scale.

My opinion is a Schecter Banshee 7 Passive - 26.5 inch scale slim neck similar but not identical to Ibanez and Seymour duncan Nazgul/Sentient pups.

If you're going to F I'd just get an 8 string, also Schecter. Similar to Ibanez they do a 6 string Baritone, and the fanned fret Iron labels thats about it unless you try to find an old 2077xl or similar RG.

5. Depraved

Depraved SS.org Regular

Yeah well I don't really know how to explain our tone, not necessarily super tight, but something similar to Deftones Diamond Eyes or anything off Sworn In's new album. Like we're quad tracking for a really wide sound but it's not necessarily super tight just tight enough. I was considering switching out the pickups on any guitar I get anyway cause I don't like stock.

Anything for that type of sound? Was really hoping to get a 7 but seems like I might end up having to get an 8

6. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Well Stef in Deftones does use EMG's you can get a tight sound with post processing and EQ.

Stef recently switched over to Fishman Fluence pickups though which are apparently really good they might be an idea for any guitar you get. Look for longer scales, I suggest schecter as they have more Extended 7's and their 8's are 28 inches so they easily handle F.

7. Depraved

Depraved SS.org Regular

8. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

I like them^ played the 8 version very nice. Those EMG's are pretty highly regarded now, Chris letchford uses them on his 7 in Scale the summit you can hear playthroughs of them.

If you can play one play before you buy. But otherwise go for it, I've been happy with every schecter I've owned, my first 8 was 26.5 inch just like that 7 and it handled the F pretty well with a thicker gauge.

9. LTigh

LTigh Banned

^^ Quick caveat:

I'd be careful of any first-year model coming out of WMI (the new Hellraiser Hybrids, the KM6/7 mk ii, etc., etc.). This goes for used instruments, too (say, a 2013 PRS Zach Myers).

There's a bit of a learning curve with WMI, and the first batch or so of every new model instrument will have a higher percentage of dogs and lemons than you would think. Plus the documented management problems at WMI (see the Ormsby thread, for instance) means they've got a few hiccups along the way and may have cut corners in order to meet their original orders.

That being said, WMI puts out some stellar stuff (not just for Schecter). But definitely try before you buy. I've heard of issues with some people having to do the return thing with Sweetwater several times on a new first-run model instrument (or first-run older stock) before finding one they like, or giving up and getting a refund. Most issues have been cosmetic, although with the KM mk ii and the first-run KM (now mk i), there have been some serious borkings.

10. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I have the C-1 and love these EMGs ... the first ever, because I was always an EMG hater ;) The EMG 57/66 is a very versatile set, especially with this wood combination. I absolutely love the Hybrid.

Make sure, you don't choose the new version with a TOM bridge, because such low tunings might introduce intonation problems.

On my 25.4" Regius 7 Drop A is the limit with acceptable intonation!

11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I've been able to go as low as Ab on a 25.5" guitar and keep it intonated, but I dunno about any lower. Seconding the 57/66 set, I don't like EMGs either but those sound really nice.

12. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Let me add two videos to demonstrate the sound of the Hybrid.

In the following video check out the clean tones at 2:00

The clean tones sound pretty passive pickup like (very dynamic), when the guitar volume is rolled back around 40% and this guitar is absolutely noise free, making it a very good recording guitar.

And now some badass stuff:

It's also worth mentioning, that the satin neck is exceptionally "fast".

13. Depraved

Depraved SS.org Regular

That is pretty badass, I think I'm definitely gonna go with this guitar, hopefully I can find one in store, I really don't wanna get a lemon :\

14. TommyG

TommyG Tommy G

I just picked up a used Ibanez Iron Label 7.
    Its the fixed bridge model from 2013 that was all black with the white binding.
    It came with EMG 707's and I switched them to the 57/66 models that I found used here.
    I'm really loving this guitar and the 57/66 combo is great.
    The 707's are WAY hot. Too hot for me...
    I am tuned to drop A so I can't really speak for the lower tunings.

This is a very versatile setup... Best of Luck!