getting a custom shop guitar...(Legator Group Buy)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by WintermintP, Jan 20, 2021.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That's an entirely different topic, to be frank.

I'm sure there are plenty of nice Legators out there (and at least a few duds).

All else I can say is good luck.

CYPA likes this.
  2. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

What I'm getting at here is that if I do manage to get my LM-9 and it's a good guitar it'll probably no longer be a cursed brand.

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

This in no way answers my question.

CYPA likes this.
  4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

there's just...
    so much going on here.

CYPA likes this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I want to leave this thread alone, but one last thing- looking at your last two threads, OP, where you didn't want to spend money on better bass gear and people piled on you and the thread got locked, or where you got impatient with a retailer that had delayed an order and something about the exchange with users here caused the thread to get locked...

Maybe you think everyone is crapping on your group buy because we are all a sour bunch, but I think we mostly just wish you'd take a step back and observe your own logic with some objectivity.

You bought a used Legator and you haven't even laid hands on it yet. Just stop right there. Any attempt to defend the idea of a group buy when you've had zero dealing with the company just makes this whole thing seem insane, honestly.

If you have not given them a deposit yet, run away now. If you have, then this will not go well, and I'm sorry. If you couldn't scrounge up the patience to wait a couple weeks for a pack of strings, there's no way that, when three years rolls around and you've heard no updates on your group buy guitar, you will be the least bit pleased.

Even if the outcome of this is spectacular by small builder group buy standards, you're going to be waiting well over the 3 year estimated time, without any idea what the delays are (totally standard with this sort of thing, especially if the guitar is made in a non-anglophone country) and the finished product won't compare in quality to what you could have purchased standard by then.

CYPA, Luchilleus, Mboogie7 and 5 others like this.
  6. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

thats not how things work... :lol:

7. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

What kind of Jerry Springer family tree are you a part of? Your sister holds things hostage after mistaken mailing adresses?? How the hell does that even happen?

I mean, this is like saying that I will someday post a review of the Lambo I am going to buy with the lottery winnings I am going to receive from the ticket that guy on the bus bought for me with the 5 dollars I lent to him so that he could buy bus fare to see his estranged son whom he hadn't seen in 5 years.

CYPA, Mboogie7 and cwhitey2 like this.
  8. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

Well SHIT! I didn't know Amway made guitars! Sign me up!!!

CYPA likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

i too want to hear more about wintermint's fucked up family dynamics

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I don’t want to be a debbie downer just for kicks, but another factor is the time length and eventual development of other product lines. Meaning that in 3 years Legator (or any other company) might have inexpensive 9s with those same specs. Maslow’s doing a run of 9s now, and I’d bet if those sell well there will be future runs. And maybe lower end companies like GOC will start doing 9s. 3 years is just a LONG time. Especially when that’s the stated time period. Almost no one gets a guitar in the quoted time frame.

I’m not saying don’t do the run. I AM saying do your research and be completely aware of the risks. What might seem like cynicism is actually closer to reality.

11. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

What a strange mix of brand affinity and bargain-hunter mentality.

I hope for your sake that you have a set character.
    At best, "something" will come out after about three years or many people will have lost money because of your efforts.

If you are an empathetic person, I would suggest to think about it very thoroughly.

Out of interest, have you ever waited three years for anything?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    CYPA likes this.
  12. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Been on SSO long enough to know this thread is absolutely hilarious right now and a completely wretched trainwreck if they get enough deposits going.
    Also, saying it's your signature or whatever on a hypothetical guitar is quite the move.
    Here's to hoping a bunch of people don't get wrecked on this.

13. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

So Legator have the 9 string Fluences before everybody else but these guitars won't be ready for 3 years?

CYPA, Luchilleus, cwhitey2 and 4 others like this.
  14. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I feel bad for the 8 people who made their deposits already.

CYPA, Luchilleus, cwhitey2 and 2 others like this.
  15. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

What I want to know is why the rabid brand loyalty?

You have forum members with knowledge and experience regarding this very topic but you're dead set in ignoring them. That said, get on with your bad self. You do you. Buy that French gator.

But dont expect anyone around here to applaud your efforts nor join in, in what will inevitably be a beautiful disaster.

ThatBeardGuy, CYPA and Luchilleus like this.
  16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’m just waiting to hear that OP is collecting the deposits himself so as to make one simple payment to LegalGator guitars.

AltecGreen, USMarine75 and Luchilleus like this.
  17. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

No I'm not collecting the deposits myself. Everyone's paying their own.

@USMarine75 I'm not dead set on ignoring them, I'm just asking for a benefit of the doubt. I'll do more research on the matter as well. I don't think it's fair to bash something just because it's Legator, because last I heard about them they seem to have turned their image around, and that's why I'm still giving it a chance just to see what will happen.

And yes, I have waited more than 5 years for things before. A year can last pretty long, but it can only last so long.

18. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

Giving benefit of the doubt isn’t a realistic request when you’re asking others to bet on your reputation(nobody knows you, your credibility, etc) , as well as the already known less than stellar (putting it nicely) reputation of Legator.

I also don’t get the blind brand loyalty going on here. You already have a 9 string from them that you don’t think you’ll ever get? How about you go to your sisters house yourself and get it? That shouldn’t be a roadblock at all and if it is, there is no point in blindly going into a group buy.

USMarine75 likes this.
  19. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Take the next month reading this entire sub forum and then tell anyone here that any run really deserves the benefit of the doubt.
    And I’ll say outright that I don’t believe eight other people have put deposits down.

20. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

There's many things to bash here, not just Legator's reputation...
    • A run shouldn't happen in 2-3 years. The way you described it, it's coming from the same factory that does import LTD and Schecter. These are operations with lots of people churning out lots of guitars, not a 1-man show...that wait time is absurd.
    • You're telling people you have a Legator that looks great in pictures and you expect it to be amazing, BUT YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT.
    • Said guitar is apparently being held ransom because your sister doesn't want to pay for shipping. If you can't cough up $100 for shipping, you shouldn't be ordering anything labeled "custom."
    • You're pitching this group buy instead of a representative or dealer. The successful runs of schecter and ibanez that are posted here are handled by guys that sell guitars for a living, not a potential customer. I'd trust any one of those guys that have been around the block a few times and delivered successful limited runs in the past and have dealt with these builders time and time again. Any potential questions shouldn't be answered with "my guy at legator says..." or "I have inside information that..." I'd want any questions answered directly with somebody that knows what's up, not a potential customer that's acting as a middleman.
    • Experience goes a long way, and you've made it clear that you have none. No experience with legator, no experience with limited runs/custom shops. Lots of members here have that experience, and you're ignoring their warnings. You are taking a major risk here. We're trying to save you time, money, and frustration.