George Floyd...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BlackSG91, May 28, 2020.

1. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

The picture going round of Kaepernick kneeling juxtaposed with Chauvin kneeling sort of sums up "being civil".

XPT707FX likes this.
  2. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

looting, rioting, protesting... all of it is part of the same narrative that has been happening in this country since its inception. what do you think is going to happen when people finally lash out after being beaten down for centuries at this point? of course it's not going to look pretty.

Dineley, c7spheres, XPT707FX and 3 others like this.
  3. Randy

Randy Tony Lazuto?! Super Moderator

The message is that authorities like mayors, governors, police, etc are given that authority by the people. When they disrespect and murder the people, with total disregard and expecting impunity, violence and breaking the bonds of standard societal discourse works as a reminder they have that power because we let them. Society works because we let it. Protests, turn riots, turn looting serve as a reminder we can take that privilege away.

XPT707FX, JSanta, zappatton2 and 7 others like this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just checking in to let you guys know to check Instagram/Twitter/etc. There’s videos of what appear to be undercover cops starting the breaking of glass. There’s footage of Mr. Floyd being manhandled constantly leading up to his death, Target has announced they’ll pay everyone their wages, there is footage of officers covering their body cams with tape while pepper spraying peaceful seated protestors at point blank range, and more. You are unlikely to see it on the news but it’s updating constantly online in real time.

Stonewall Riots, Boston Tea Party, suffragettes, MLK’s marches, this country was built on people protesting. It’s hard to feign confusion over the anger of citizens when their reasoning has been stated repeatedly for decades alongside peaceful protest like I don’t know, kneeling.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  5. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life SS.org Regular

Theres nothing that can happen in the public streets that would affect the outcome of the coming case verdict. He's been arrested already. You can all stop rioting now.

shadowlife and valkyrie like this.
  6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Why would they go home? No new legislation has been passed, body cams still aren’t 100% mandatory, and there were 4 officers involved in this death and the coroner already cranked out a report that effectively states the man died through no cause of the police officer. - it’s online go read it if you’d like.

So why would the protestors go home?

XPT707FX, vilk and SpaceDock like this.
  7. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

don't bother engaging them. they're only here to crack off moronic takes

vilk likes this.
  8. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

rioting, stealing and destroying other peoples property (and possibly lives in the long term) is a movement?
    i understand civil protests.
    btw, that "lie" about outsiders was told by the citys own mayor.
    it's also suspect those media outlets streaming it seem to forget about covid completely now. according to their message in past months this should be a catastrophic scenario now.

efiltsohg likes this.
  9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

:poop:

10. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Yup, the coroner report is an irrelevant joke, made even worse by the joke of a criminal complaint that seems to be worded in favor of the supposed defendant. Talking about how big he was and how he actively resisted, as if either of those things matter when he was already detained when they killed him.

I smell a lot of trouble over the horizon.

XPT707FX likes this.
  11. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

The Coroner Autopsy report reminds me of this (and then some white folks wonder why people go Ape shit...):

upload_2020-5-31_12-57-7.png

12. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Also no everybody participating in Riots are douche bags

upload_2020-5-31_13-5-20.png

13. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Apparently in a lot of places the cops are protesting with the protesters.

c7spheres likes this.
  14. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I would say that no one participating in riots is a douche bag, unless standing up for your rights makes you a douche bag.

Also to everyone still crying "waaaaa they're destroying thier own neighborhoods and cities waaaah" just Google the MOVE bombing. Philadelphia police BOMBED and entire residential neighborhood killing many women and children.

Also, the CEO of Target has now issued a statement saying showing solidarity with protesters and rioters, saying that Target has ample money to fix the damages and that all employees of damaged stores will still receive thier full paychecks...

So yeah, if you still don't support the protests & riots then you're either a closeted white supremacists or a regular white supremacist.

XPT707FX and JoshuaVonFlash like this.
  15. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

They can mobilize the riot cops that might as well be call of duty juggernauts at this point and the national guard at record speed but where was the PPE for the healthcare workers? This shit is fucked

steinmetzify likes this.
  16. Chokey Chicken

Again, that's target. That's not the small family owned businesses, or the other less fortunate businesses.

I am not a white supremacist either. In fact Im not even white, but go ahead and keep generalizing.

17. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

You know... I really dig your posts here on SSO. Whenever I've seen your avi come up, I say "Oh it's that broj dude. He's usually got some interesting thoughts" and then I read your comments.

But damn, man. How in the hell do you make such damming remarks about people that you don't even know the least bit about? I don't understand lumping a bunch of people together with such conviction, when some of those people are simply asking questions, trying to see things thru other people's eyes, feeling genuine sympathy for all those affected, already hating on this current administration, someone whom has always despised the division and inequality that others have faced in this world, and on and on...

And if others don't automatically side with something as simplistic as "if you don't support the riots..." then you simply label them as white supremacists? That type of hatred can truly diminish one's enthusiasm to learn and to help. How does that bring awareness? How does that garner understanding or support? What a horrible label to blindly start slapping onto others.

Okay... Have at it... Riot, loot, vandalize. But why knock others down before they've even had a chance to process all of this? At least I realize that you are only one voice and that you don't speak for everyone because I honestly don't think you're helping anything by spitting out such venomous assumptions. .

tedtan, shadowlife, XPT707FX and 4 others like this.
  18. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life SS.org Regular

^ nice post

"They're rioting because they tried peaceful protests and that didnt work".....

.......yeah well I guess a football stadium was the wrong place to try and do that. Go take a knee at the police station as that might actually have an affect on the ones being protested against.

shadowlife likes this.
  19. Chokey Chicken

We had riots and looting in Raleigh last night. Funny how target saying they're still going to pay their employees doesn't comfort the people who don't work at target. Apparently the looters were setting fires outside of buildings that had apartments on the upper floors above the businesses. Funny how it seems like the poorer folks, and around here it's largely black communities, are suffering while the white lawmakers and politicians sit in their cushy comfortable houses unaffected by 90% of this.

Edit: I will not get behind that bullshit "don't protest at football games" nonsense. Protesting is not meant to be pretty or convenient. That is the least offensive and intrusive way a person can peacefully protest and people told them to fuck off.

tedtan and Dineley like this.
  20. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

When people go out of their way to shit on absolutely every way black people protest police violence, I really have to question what kind of prejudices you're working with. Obviously becoming a symbol to millions of people, and the attention of the entire country, would be better than your suggestion. A football player really has no power to change things that directly, rather than to inspire a much larger movement of people all over the country, in all walks of life.