George Floyd...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BlackSG91, May 28, 2020.

1. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

This brings to mind the dude who got shot over having an air freshener hanging from his mirror. The police officer who shot him claimed to have thought she grabbed her taser. Which, in and of itself over the supposed offense in front of her is questionable, BUT. . . how much of her reaction was muscle memory from drills and training exercises where the important thing was the ability to quickly draw and aim your weapon? I know if I've practiced a run that lands on the twenty second fret a few hundred times, I don't suddenly grab the 20th during performance. If she drilled grabbing her gun over and over, and kept her taser in a holster or pocket within say, an inch or two of her weapon, that seems destined to lead to bad things in critical moments.

Just one of those thoughts I've had running in my head over the past week or so.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't disagree with any of this.

But, not for nothing, police are evidently trained to keep their gun and their tasers on different sides of their body for exactly this reason (which doesn't prevent muscle memory from taking over)... and, the woman who shot him was the head of the local police union and had advised several other cops who were involved in shootings during subsequent review, which at least opens the door to the explanation that this was pure CYA material.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's definitely CYA.

Every good union steward knows that malice gets you fired, but stupidity gets you re-trained.

vilk likes this.