George Floyd...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BlackSG91, May 28, 2020.

1. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I am glad to see the verdict, but I am seeing so much news on how police violence is about race and race relations. I know that by percentage of population POC are killed by police much more than whites, but really I think we just have a police problem.

What I continue to see is that cops just cross the line being overly aggressive in almost all situations without using the discretion they should be using. Kill someone over $20, kill someone over selling single cigarettes, kill someone over traffic violations. Beat up old ladies for shop lifting, beat up children for running away, beat up drunk girls for not listening. Why is it that cops will create a crime much more offensive than the original crime and get away with it? If I beat someone for stealing 20 bucks, I would go to jail for assault. For a cop, it’s all in a days work. This is what we need accountability on. Cops need to be the lesser offender in all these crimes, not escalate because they can.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It can be both of those things. Lack of police accountability plus poor race relations, whether they're distinct issues or not, means you'll have a lack of police accountability in race relations. Even if they're distinct issues, instances are prevalent and overlapping.

zappatton2 likes this.
  3. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

I see already this morning that Carlson & Hannity have already had their say on the verdict. I'm not posting the video or their comments coz they are as disgusting as you would expect from the two of them

John, Rosal76 and zappatton2 like this.
  4. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin SS.org Regular

I’ve already had a person I suspect isn’t exactly mentally healthy tell me what I’m guessing are the right wing talking points. And let me just say it’s disgusting. There’s no possible way any sane person can justify what happen to George Floyd. Fentanyl or not, makes no difference to me. These hyped up mall cops need to learn how to de escalate situations instead of fighting fire with nuclear weapons.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  5. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That laugh Carlson does at the end of the interview with Ed Gavin. My God, that was unbelievably weird. Carlson's laugh is more fake than anything Donald Trump had said/tweeted in the 4 years.

6. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

laughter.png

High Plains Drifter and StevenC like this.
  7. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

really nothing to celebrate. the man is still dead.

pelosi and waters should both be ashamed for their comments.

philkilla likes this.
  8. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I'm glad we got the verdict we got, even if it did trigger some really weird fetishized racist rant from my father-in-law. I'm still trying to process some of it. Not sure how I reconcile liking the dude most of the time with the hate filled spittle laced rant we got from him yesterday.

vilk and Dumple Stilzkin like this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This is a critically important first step, all the more so because despite his killing being captured on video and that video blowing holes in the initial police account, the verdict was far from certain, a 13-year-old-boy was shot to death by another cop less than ten miles from the courthouse while trial was ongoing, and the night of the verdict, a 16-year old girl was shot to death by another cop in Ohio.

What we need isn't a guilty verdict, it's independent and meaningful oversight of America's increasingly militarized police force. However, it's a first step.

vilk, Louis Cypher, XPT707FX and 5 others like this.
  10. nightflameauto

I think another step along the way needs to be de-militarizing the police altogether. Some departments are seriously given the same training that soldiers going to war are given. They are taught to see all people in their jurisdiction as enemy combatants. Which is a ridiculous layout for officers sworn to serve and protect those very people.

I know it's systemic, and it will take generations to sort out properly, but that at the very least needs to be in the discussion at this point.

Drew likes this.
  11. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Cops r bastids obviously...lotta organized crime blue gang violence ...but whose boots ARE these politicians licking?

This shit is pathetic-

BTW-

The Police protect and serve Property. See Supreme Court or some shit... yup!

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

13. philkilla

philkilla Baritone Maniac Contributor

What training are you referring to?

jaxadam likes this.
  14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Worth a watch:

Louis Cypher and zappatton2 like this.
  15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

has pelosi always been this insane.

16. philkilla

philkilla Baritone Maniac Contributor

Got me with the hooks, stayed for the context.

There's a LOT to unpack from that video, and I'm glad it John preaching it.

The militarization of the police is super cringey, and the majority of the time totally unnecessary; most of them look like larpers with no knowledge to back it up.

SWAT teams do serve a purpose, but based on how quickly warrants get approved it's easy to see how that could be exploited for the wrong reasons, and very often.

In all of my 17 years as active duty as an infantry dude, my peers and I have always colloquially referred to MP's (military police) as massive cocksuckers, because they're usually out to screw over their fellow Soldiers.

It seems to reason the average cop shares the same mentality.

Mathemagician likes this.
  17. nightflameauto

This was one of the triggers for me doing some digging myself and finding out how widespread some of these programs are, especially in larger metropolitan areas. I just don't understand how we got there outside of someone with government ties and shit to sell to the military twisting arms until they're hooked into the police force as well. And by "twisting arms" I'm of course referring to "campaign contributions."

vilk likes this.
  18. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

19. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

John Oliver has been brilliant on his coverage of the militarisation of the US Police, that Raids story is scary, especially the footage of the officers after a botched raid on the wrong person then asking him to replay their "raid" on his CCTV so they can film on it on their phones?!

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've ptobably said this before here, probably within the last three pages of this thread, but my old college advisor had a saying, "if the only tool in your toolkit is a hammer, every problem is a nail."

There are absolutely times when a SWAT team is appropriate, or when force is necessary when responding to a, sorry Tom Clancy, clear and present danger. Active shooter, barracaded somewhere with hostages, taking shots at anyone who comes into sight, sure.

But, something that should be abundantly clear to all of us as guitarists, is the things you practice over and over and over again over time become the things you just do when you pick up a guitar. If the vast majority of police training is how to respond aggressively to aggressive threats, then not only are we training them to respond to aggressive threats with aggression (which, eh, training on de-escalation could go a long way here), we're also doing something a lot more subtle and a lot more subversive - we're training them to see all problems as aggressive threats, by very nature of the fact that that's all they ever train for.

That's extremely dangerous, and that coupled with some systemic racism is why seemingly a day doesn't go by where some unarmed black man (or woman... or fuckin' kid) is shot to death by the police. That's what happens when the only tool in your toolkit is a hammer - you smash a lot of things treating them as nails.