George Floyd...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BlackSG91, May 28, 2020.

1. Randy

Randy Tony Lazuto?! Super Moderator

2. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Watching protests all across the country tonight. Crazy stuff and I wish we had a leader that could help tamp this down instead of pumping the bellows.

Dineley and vilk like this.
  3. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

It's a bit of a stretch I feel. I find it difficult to imagine people truly looting with grief and justice in their hearts. If anything the video with the guy smashing the windows highlights how we shouldn't treat protesters as one group -- there are many people out there protesting, and there are some people out there looting, the extent to which these groups overlap is actually a bit unclear, and to glom them together feels like a typical conservative trap of discrediting the voices of the people.
    To say that looting the stores is like some spin on looting the black community/black bodies is an argument that tries to legitimize looting as protesting.

Looking at the scenes inside the store and at the protests in general, it looks to me like a massive, largely peaceful protest. Separately, a small group of people are trying to capitalize on the disruption and loot. But the effect this has is when I called my mom last night and mentioned "Minneapolis", she replied like, "Oh I know, isn't it terrible, they're looting and setting fire to everything". The looting wasn't supposed to be the headline, and I think emphasizing the disconnect between protesters and looters, especially the numbers of each, is the better take on it. There's a percentage of profiteering scumbags in every community...typically these people go to business school, but in another life, looters. Can't let those guys represent the entire event.

4. Randy

YMMV. I think his point about the social contract being broken is spot on. This is what a breakdown of society looks like :shrug:

Dineley, XPT707FX, Vyn and 3 others like this.
  5. Randy

Arguing that protesting racial injustice needs to be peaceful and not inconvenience people is a favorite conservative troupe. The point being made is simple, you don't treat our people as human beings, we'll make it as painful for you as possible. Being polite got nobody nowhere.

Dineley, XPT707FX, Vyn and 5 others like this.
  6. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Not sure if this was posted, buy CNN reported that the charged cop used to work security at a local club together with the victim. So they already knew each other before the encounter. Kind of makes the situation worse for the cop in my opinion. He should not have been the arresting officer once backup arrived.

Edit: Oh wait, according to the police report the charged officer *was* the backup...

7. narad

I still think he was mostly spot-on, and I found the whole video to be a really fresh and well structured argument. I mean, it's his job to do these sorts of narratives but he's making me feel stupid living in Japan and getting rusty at stringing 2 coherent sentences together off-the-cuff.

But where I separate is not on the grounds of "peaceful protest", but about looting -- stocking up on items and running away with them. If you're out there destroying things, your only incentive to do that is protest and destruction. If you're taking a shopping cart full of autoparts back to your car, I find it a bit disingenuous to shout "Justice for George!" while doing so. I really just view these groups as separate things -- there's peaceful protesters, non-peaceful protesters, and looters. I suspect the split is something like 95/5/1 looking at the actual protest videos, so I feel like it's overall sad to let the 1% become the symbol of the rest.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  8. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

every time this happens, people are always quick to defend the capital of a corporation over the murder of a black person.

who gives a fuck if a Target gets looted?

XPT707FX, fantom, Edika and 5 others like this.
  9. Randy

I have a hard time believing any of those people went to Target with a shopping list. Except one white dude I saw clutching a box of Legos. That guy was planning that for a long time.

Not exactly an endorsement but it's comparable to invaders/conquerors throughout history. It wasn't peaceful negotiations, it wasn't my army versus your army like chess pieces. It's overrunning the cities, pillaging, stealing and burning what's left to the ground.

On a very, very visceral level, this is what people do when broken down to their most basic components. Its chaos. There were a handful of looters but a lot of people just destroying things and picking up anything around them. I don't think looting is heroic but it's a spin-off of the kind of discontent that's been sown. I don't throw out the value of the outrage, the protesting or even the rioting because a couple people pocketed stuff in the process. Would it have been more acceptable if they just burned the whole thing down before anyone got a chance to get inside? :shrug:

DiezelMonster and zappatton2 like this.
  10. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Their looting is much cheaper for the economy than the looting big businesses and politicians have been doing during the pandemic.

Walter W., XPT707FX, fantom and 4 others like this.
  11. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs

I hope that cop that knelt his knees on George Floyd rots in fucking hell!!! What a complete utter asshole and I feel frustrated that this kind of shit happens. That fat fuck of a police officer who was standing by over should have his colon disemboweled. There are good cops and there is FUCKING SCUM!!!:pissed:

;>)/

12. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I agree with this 100%.

Target and every other corporation has money to burn. Shit, they've been making a killing on toilet paper for the past 2 months.

1 year from now that Target will be repaired and it will be like none of this ever happened but George Floyd will still be dead. Fuck Target and every other major corporation & fuck all thier stockholders too.

Dineley and JoshuaVonFlash like this.
  13. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

14. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs

The street protests continue...I can see this developing into a national crisis. I remember the L.A. riots back in the 90's...you haven't seen nothing yet!

;>)/

zappatton2 likes this.
  15. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

These protests and riots have done more to bring Americans together in solidarity than Dems and Republicans have done in about 20 years.

Edika, BlackSG91 and Randy like this.
  16. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

I assume people try to get info as much as they can before replying but its seems its still not the case even when information is so widely available

BlackSG91, DiezelMonster and narad like this.
  17. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

For target's sake? I don't really care. For the sake of the people who live in that community and rely on target for a paycheck? I care a lot. The looted businesses are going to be closed down for a while at least, and a lot of the jobs gone with it.

And shitting on large corporations also sidesteps the problem of small community owned/non chain businesses that are getting looted and ruined. Insurance might help, it might not if it's bad enough. I remember back during Katrina hearing stories about all state yeeting out of the area so they didn't have to help. I've also lived most of my life in a small community where everyone was barely making ends meet. I watched my entire town basically fold up because of rising rates of everything.

I don't care about the corporate big wigs, they'll be fine. I care about the poor folks living month to month who this will make it harder for.

This is why I think if they're going to loot and burn, loot and burn the police station and other political/legal establishments that fail to treat us like fellow humans. Which they at least torched the offending precinct, to which I say good job.

Dineley and shadowlife like this.
  18. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

And what happened in-between the end of that video, and Mr. Floyd being on the ground with someone's knee on his neck?
    You're the google expert- where's the video of what happened in the interim?

Man, I hope some of you guys never end up on a jury.
    "Trial? We don't need no stinkin' trial- we saw the video on youtube! Send him straight to the electric chair!"

Alexa run my life likes this.
  19. Cabinet

Cabinet :O

Have we heard any news on people instigating riots? I'm skeptical that they are all locals. In other places, out of state license plates were spotted, and I think non-residents are more likely to instigate those sorts of things.

20. narad

And I'd hate to see you on the jury with the logic you're espousing now. "Well, we don't have footage from every angle of every moment prior to the cops piling up on him for minutes until he was dead, so... non guilty!"

XPT707FX, Chokey Chicken and StevenC like this.