George Floyd...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BlackSG91, May 28, 2020.

1. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life SS.org Regular

I had a lengthy post typed up last night but deleted it because it wasn't worth it.

I never mentioned Alex Jones, or conspiracies, or phone tracking anywhere in this thread. Actually I never mentioned Alex Jones or phone tracking anywhere. You put words in my mouth....so I wasn't going to bother.

The TLDR was that the cop was totally wrong and killed the man when he didn't have to. It's absolutely disgusting if he gets a slap on the wrist for it. The cop should have eased up when the guy couldnt breathe. This cop should not get away with this.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    c7spheres likes this.
  2. philkilla

philkilla Baritone Maniac Contributor

It would've been nice if the looters waited a day or two before burning the city down.

jaxadam and c7spheres like this.
  3. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Hey now I'm not advocating for anyone to get killed. I'm just saying the peaceful approach has not worked for the black community and armed occupation seems to have worked out great for the rednecks. I don't think the military will help much if they are ordered by trump to take down some angry black rebellion. The military has a huge amount of minorities and I don't see them pulling the trigger on their own people. Granted, there are a lot of white guys that join the military just for the chance to get to kill brown people with no repercussions just like the ones that join the police force. I think those jobs just attract that "type" of person. It's not even that they want to kill a black person, they just want a chance to kill someone (and it just happens to be easier in America to get away with killing black people for no reason). I saw it in Iraq all the time. Americans treated all of those people like they were subhuman. Like they were all the enemy. Guilty until proven innocent and even when proven innocent, still less human than an American. I've seen the same type of shit these cops do to black people in America (and worse) done to Iraqis by American soldiers. There was a patrol coming to fuel up that had the body of some poor asshole thrown in the bed of a hummer like a dead deer only with what must have been a hundred bullet holes in him. Even if he was shooting at them there is absolutely no reason he needed to be shot that many times. That was just sick assholes getting their morbid rocks off just the same as all these cops. That is why when people talk about the high suicide rates of cops and soldiers, it is difficult for me to feel bad. I have seen the crazy sick shit soldiers do. It doesn't surprise me in the least that their conscience can't handle it.

vilk and c7spheres like this.
  4. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

This whole situation is fucked and I don't expect it to get better any time soon. What the fuck do you expect in a society where people even a few years younger than my parents couldn't marry outside their own race? A lot of the alt-right types I personally know seem to think that just because now, on paper, blacks are equal (especially because we've had a black president, don't cha know!) that somehow you're going to erase that ingrained racism. Go ahead and for hundreds of years say "these brown people are sub-human trash with no rights," then one day, not that fucking long ago, say "welp time to give them rights" and then see how many people can just shake the generations worth of ingrained hate. People will find ways to skirt around it... Hiring, or giving loans to someone named "John Miller" over a "Jamal Washington" or some shit.

We're far too close to our country's troubled past that it's not even in the rear view mirror yet. Racist ass people raised by racist ass people, who were all raised in a racist ass society, and they wonder why people who are legitimately innocent might fucking run. Step on their necks because they had a fake $20. Is $20 really all this guy's life was worth to this cop/these cops? You're really going to crush someone's neck because they may or may not have had a fake $20 bill?

The two incredibly unfortunate things here is, obviously, the death of a person who did not deserve being killed, and people lashing out in a way that is further fucking their already fractured community. I think it's absolutely logical to not be so peaceful about it anymore... Hell, I saw a meme on facebook recently that basically said "you told them to be peaceful and you shit on them when they kneeled quietly at football games." And that's fucking true... People have largely tried being peaceful for a long time and it's done nothing. The entire legal system needs reworking, and it's so deeply ingrained that I don't think it's happening any time soon. I'd hate for more injuries and loss of life, but I find it really hard to care about a police station getting burned down because people have lost hope and confidence (yeah right) in those who are SUPPOSED to protect us.

I don't know how to feel. I don't know, and never will know, how these communities feel. I wish everyone could just take a step back and honestly question why they hate "xyz" race. To question their upbringing. I'll be the first to admit I was brought up wrong and had some shitty views... I remember personally trying to justify the shooting of Cornel Young Jr. It really didn't take too much critical active thought to turn my views around. Why are you gonna kneel on this guy's neck for spending fake money? Why are you, in a 2v1 situation, going to choke out a guy for selling loose cigarettes? Why are you going to shoot an unarmed man in the back? Running or not, he clearly wasn't a threat to anyone. Would you kneel on YOUR kid's neck for spending fake money until he died? Would you choke out your kid if they were selling loose cigs? Shoot your kid in the back for trying to run away, despite knowing they're unarmed and not dangerous? It's sad, and nobody is having the right conversations or taking the right actions to fix it.

zappatton2 and c7spheres like this.
  5. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Black Lives Matter were immediately lambasted as being "loud", "unreasonable", and "counter-productive" and eventually were labelled as extremists. Kapernick was told to stay in his lane and "just do his job" once he started using his platform to engage in a peaceful protest, white people didn't want to see it.

The reality, which is revealed again and again, is that in the eyes of society there is no acceptable way for marginalized communities to bring up the subject of police brutality or systemic racism. The insistence that optics must be the primary consideration of any movement and that the victims of these abuses must strive to meet a constantly shifting standard of what is "acceptable" in order for their concerns to be accepted as legitimate at all is ultimately just another tool to demoralize and ultimately silence those who would otherwise speak out.

Chauvin was finally arrested and charged with third degree murder and manslaughter. We'll see what happens to the other cops.

6. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

You are very much correct, and I know it's just wishful thinking on my part hoping that the majority of white folks can take a step back and critically think about how things just aren't okay how they are. It's easy to think everything is fine when you don't have to worry about having your neck crushed for committing non-violent crimes, or in many cases just doing absolutely nothing wrong at all.

I didn't watch the videos because quite honestly I'm tired of seeing the same shit time after time. It's heart breaking. That said, I know the alleged crime and I know it didn't warrant the actions given. I also don't know the extent of the other officer's involvement. It seems more likely that if they were just there and didn't actually commit the physical act that killed Floyd, they're probably just looking at manslaughter. Which is still not something good to be charged with, but I can't help but feel that the family won't feel justified unless they all get tried/convicted of some form of murder. I'm glad to see that Chauvin is getting charged with murder of some sort. Because let's be real, what he did was murder. Hopefully this begins to set a new precedent.

On the plus side, as grim as it may be, it feels like things really are changing... Not fast enough, and it'll probably get much worse before it gets drastically better, but it feels like this time one or two years ago, these fucking scuzzbags would be sitting at home getting paid to do nothing after killing someone.

zappatton2 likes this.
  7. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

I just can't understand all this rioting since the murderer cop already got busted and is waiting for his sentence and yet all these people rioting are screaming for justice. Well, that's justice in a civilized nation. You don't go and lynch someone because they did wrong. Just my 2 pennies.

c7spheres likes this.
  8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

This situation is actually constantly happening on a nation-wide scale and goes mostly unreported. In any other country, like Finland I'd imagine, if something like this happened it would make sense to believe it's a more or less isolated incident and that justice could be appeased for that one event and it would be "over", but unfortunately that's nowhere near the case here.

XPT707FX and Kaura like this.
  9. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

the protest was for the most part peaceful until the police came and started doling out the tear gas and flashbangs. that guy who first started the fire at Autozone was allegedly a St. Paul cop. reports of what are most likely agent provacateurs also starting shit.

the state started the riot.

XPT707FX and possumkiller like this.
  10. Alexa run my life

Yeah. They're ending racism one flatscreen TV at a time.

efiltsohg and c7spheres like this.
  11. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

For those that haven't seen the man shown in this video breaking the windows of AutoZone (the first business to sustain property damage) is a police officer from St. Paul.... You can even clearly see other protesters telling him to stop AND the person filming say "I don't want a part of that shit" and move away.

He was sent there by the police to commit property damage allowing them the justification needed to deploy "non lethal" force such as tear gas and non lethal ammunition, which as I said before can still put a person in the hospital. The protests were 100% peaceful up until that point. They literally planted a false flag operator among the protesters in an attempt to justify the use of force and bend the narrative to suit thier will.

So what was that about how property damage and looting isn't ever justifiable?

XPT707FX, Edika, cwhitey2 and 4 others like this.
  12. Alexa run my life

So the peaceful protesters should have stood by and watched that one supposed undercover cop do that by himself and make him look like a jackass. No one forced them to jump in and make it worse. Nice excuse makingthere.

narad and shadowlife like this.
  13. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I hate to break the news but that is nothing new. The same thing happens with all protest groups. Police or FBI plant agents to start violence that allows police to respond with force and the message of the group to be ignored.

XPT707FX, Edika, shadowlife and 2 others like this.
  14. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I think you may have a problem understanding the time line or exactly the role a false flag operator plays in this scenario, or how law enforcement abuses power under the guise of justifiable force. Though it was deleted my original point in my last comment directed at you still stands. I'll double down on that. Everyone else started looting and destroying corporate buildings AFTER the police initiated the use of "non lethal" force. They justified that because "someone" started breaking windows. It's really a matter of who cast the first stone: law enforcement.
    Oh I'm well aware. Just felt the need to bring it up in this case especially when people are trying to say that the destruction of property is never justifiable.

15. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I hope you realize that these comments really make you come off like a troll. I don’t understand why you and a couple others seem to throw out these comments that dont build up any constructive conversation and seem designed to get you attacked by the forum. Do you just like upsetting people or do you actually think that theft invalidates the purpose of these riots? These are low income minority neighborhoods being beaten down by cops and the system. Of course there is going to be theft interspersed with the political demonstration.

XPT707FX, vilk and broj15 like this.
  16. Alexa run my life

No It's a serious matter but I think people are making excuses to loot and vandalize places lile stores. Vandalizing the police station, I can understand....but not Target. That's their community. That's their jobs and livlihoods. Stop trying to start drama by calling people you dont agree with, trolls. Ive already stated my stance on this topic earlier today, go and read it. (Kindly)

shadowlife and c7spheres like this.
  17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

People want free shit and like to destroy stuff. They're the reason why racist exists to begin with and as said above provocatuers and cops will get the problems started to justify thier uses of force. It's why the best thing to do is not show up to a riot or a protest. Protests don't do anything at all except cause problems. Everyone already knows it's not something people want or like and there's no changing the minds of the people who do want it. It's like trying to talk someone our of thier religion. It's likely not gonna happen. When is the last time a bunch of people protested and the evil fuck they were yelling at said "you know what? you're right. I'm gonna make it all better now."?
    - Some of this stuff has to do with race but I think most of it has to do with a war on the poor and the homeless. The more people you can force into your cheap labor camp the better it is for business. They don't care what color you are, they care that you become they're tool. This stuff happens to white people too. It's getting even worse now that a lot of the police and prisons are becoming private.
    - Until people actually unite they won't be united. As long as it's always made into a black/white thing and you have idiots trashing their brotha's store for some free merch then this problem will always exist.
    - The root cause of all these problems is scarcity due to greed and selfishness. It's not even about the have and have-not's, it's about the kind and fair people and the selfish hurtful people. It's about good and evil. You're on either one side or the other. It's a subjective thing yes, but everyone knows they shouldn't be burning shit down, looting and killing in response to this. Everyone know that's wrong. They just want free stuff. If they really wanted to stand up they'd start a killing spree against all the cops, but this isn't really about war or justice for them. It's about free stuff. The people that really want justice and want to fight the actual enemy or system etc are not looting or killing or hating all white people etc., because they actually want change, not just free stuff or to destroy stuff.

18. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Not trying to start drama, I honestly think you are begging for it with some of your posts.

What you are writing here is something that we can have a constructive conversation about. I would say that burning and looting a Target is not something I can condone but the members of that mob do not see Target as a part of their community or livelihood. Target is a giant corporation that doesn’t care about these people lives or community. Target is there to take make as much money and supplant as many existing local businesses as possible. These people do not view their minimum wage stocker or cashier job at Target as a livelihood, it is a temporary gig. The lack of involvement, engagement, and ownership for minorities in the businesses of their communities is a big part of the problem.

XPT707FX and StevenC like this.
  19. Alexa run my life

Target cares just as much about lives in poor communities in the same amount that a high end retail store cares about rich people in wealthy communites. Businesses goes wherever they can do business.

Everyone always says these "giant evil mega corporations" as if it's some wizard of oz that we never see hiding behind a curtain. All corporations are are multiple people with money.

But Target wasn't the focus of my point...its just one of many things apparently being destroyed. Just an example.

shadowlife likes this.
  20. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

As tragic as the death of Mr. Floyd was, I have to ultimately agree with this ^^^ regarding the looting. I'm not commenting on protests or even riots. But it's the looting that ultimately causes me to disconnect with those involved. There is much more hardship that you are instilling upon your community if you are vandalizing, torching, and ransacking any business... locally or internationally based. If someone is part of this, then they are not bringing awareness nor change... and they're not doing it to suit any selfless cause.

The most positive thing to come out of the news today was that officer Chauvin was arrested. Accountability needs to be the focus here and that includes any police officer that acts negligently or in any abusive/ immoral manner. I hope that George Floyd's death will not be in vain but I'm not necessarily holding my breath. It's up to everyone to move forward and to do so with an elevated mindset of walking in someone else's shoes and to practice restraint, empathy, and humanity... all leaders, all citizens... no matter their race nor their convictions.

I'll continue living every day of my life trying to appreciate how my actions might affect others, and I'll make mistakes. But I think that we owe it to ourselves and to others, to always try to consider other people and situations that are outside of our familiarity. If nothing else, we owe that to society.

shadowlife and c7spheres like this.