George Floyd...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BlackSG91, May 28, 2020.

1. Randy

Randy Tony Lazuto?! Super Moderator

I don't give a shit if you've got a difference of opinion as long as you're earnest or you're consistent. Arguing this faux-spiracy shit about phones tracking you or whatever, but then jumping straight to 'man why you gotta make everything about race' when a uniformed cop was kneeling on a guys neck and the guy dies is peak contrarian anti-liberal derangement. Can't decide if you like authority or not until you hear what side the Democrat in the room is on.

2. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

A violent man with an incredibly long history of complaints against him & has killed multiple people in the past, also happened to work as security at the same club as a man he later pinned to the ground with his knee on his neck and slowly choked the life out of him in front of a crowd of terrified civilians.

The murder victim was unarmed, had committed no crime, and was not resisting arrest in any way (yes, there’s video showing things from much farther back).

This now former police officer is a murderer, and it is looking highly likely that this was premeditated. If you defend his actions or those of his three accomplices, you are a disgusting piece of garbage, and you should be ashamed of who you are.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Wrecklyss, Dineley, XPT707FX and 15 others like this.
  3. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

i wonder how many more black folks are going to be killed by a state apparatus with well-known and well-documented white power affiliations before people can finally retire "let's hear both sides of the story"

Dineley, XPT707FX, Edika and 4 others like this.
  4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I'd bet if any citizens tried to physically help the person the cops would have probably felt threatened and started opening fire on them to protect themselves.
    - Rioting and destroying property of people who were not involved is not going to help. It's why many people probably hate their neighborhoods. It's because of these stupid ignorant hypocrites.
    - These officers may get charged and still go free. Though in this case I doubt it, but I wouldn't really be all that surprised.

5. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs

MetalHex = METAlhexa run my life :agreed:

;>)/

Edika, Strobe and GoldDragon like this.
  6. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

There's alot to unpack in this situation so I'll just break it down as coherently as I can:

1) 3rd precinct is up in flames tonight. An absolute win for the people imo. If we can accomplish that with shear numbers and little to no organization or training just imagine what could be done if people were more prepared.

2) the officer in question had 18 complaints filed against him.... 18.... How many of us would still have our jobs if we had 18 complaints filed against us? Further proof that the system is inherently flawed.

3) yes, it was the 1 cop with his knee on the victim's neck, but 3 more stood by making them complicent. There are no good cops. Even "good" cops help uphold a racist and oppressive system. IDC if your uncle or cousin or whoever is a cop and you swear "no no, he's really a good guy". ACAB. Period.

4) law enforcement exists to protect property. Not people.

5) looting/rioting/property destruction is NOT terrorism and is 100% justifiable. It's the actions of a population that is so disenfranchised & at the end of thier rope that they feel as though they have no other option if they ever want to see a measurable amount of change to a system that has repeatedly and unjustifiably targeted them since day 1. Fucking Target & AutoZone (multi million dollar companies) will be FINE. And for further proof, just look at the picture of Moon Palace Books in southern Minneapolis. Other businesses were destroyed and looted, but Moon Palace was left completely untouched. Why? Might have something to do with the massive sign that reads "Abolish Police" hanging up in thier window. Looting and property destruction is not a senseless thing. It's a tactic, and apparently the only one that seems to even be slightly effective against a capitalist system. It's almost like the people in charge care more about money than thier fellow humans.

6) the protests were peaceful until militarized police in riot gear started deploying tear gas & using non lethal ammunition (which can still seriously fuck a person up)

7) Truly peaceful protesters were met with violence at the hands of law enforcement, while just a couple weeks ago heavily armed right wing extremists marched on the capitol building in Michigan because Karen & Robert wanted to get thier haircut and go to Applebee's and the police just stood there like the fucking queen's guard outside of Buckingham palace. It's almost like they only choose to "enforce the law" when whoever is protesting is a perceived threat to the current system (aka capitalism).

8) the murder of George Floyd was executed in the streets in front of many people and then broadcast all over the internet for the entire world to see. If I'm being honest, I believe that Derek Chauvin should meet a similar fate. Lynch him and string him up for the traffic lights for all to see. Make an example out him so that this doesn't happen again.

9) let's not forget Breonna Taylor, a ER tech/former EMT who was shot 8 times in her home when "plain clothes police officers executed a 'no knock search warrant' ". The officers in questions DID NOT identify themselves upon entering the home, causing her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, to open fire on the police believing that they were Intruders. One bullet fired by Walker grazed one lousy pig in the ankle. He is now facing attempted murder charges.

10) Law enforcement had the video depicting the cold blooded murder of Ahmaud Arbery (carried out by a former police officer and his son) for almost 2 months. It wasn't until the video was seen by the public & the ensuing outrage that charges were filed & arrests were made. Once again. The system is broken and EVERY cop is complicent. ACAB. Period.

Edit: I feel ashamed for forgetting this, but there actually was one good cop. His name was Christopher Dorner and he sacrificed his own life so that things like this wouldn't happen anymore. RIP you can't corner the Dorner

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Wrecklyss, XPT707FX, Edika and 4 others like this.
  7. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life SS.org Regular

Edit: Nevermind

8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

This is just as dumb as anything I've read from the opposing view in this thread. What an overgeneralization. There's more than half a million cops out there. There's whole precincts that engage, care about, and look out for their communities, that are basically role models and better-than-your-average-joes. Just donning the suit doesn't make someone a terrible person or complicit in a racist system.

TedEH, tedtan, mlp187 and 1 other person like this.
  9. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I acknowledge your point & understand why you may believe that, but I will spare us both and go ahead and say that no one will change my mind. I will recognize that there are cops who do BELIEVE that they are fighting the good fight, and on a day to day basis do not commit any wrong doing. But the fact is, is that the justice system as a whole has a strong bias against minorities and I view being a part of it in any form as complacency.

TLDR, I do disagree with you wholeheartedly, but I do so respectfully & appreciate your opinion.

If you do care to have a dialogue I'd do it over pm. I feel like that's a much deeper seated & broader topic than what this thread pertains to so i'd rather not clutter it up.

TedEH, BlackSG91 and mlp187 like this.
  10. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I won't get specific, but I am involved in law enforcement. I am also a person of color. I do my best to make our shitty justice system less shitty.

I don't think destroying their own communities, the livelihoods of their brothers, is any way to get back at "the man." Robbing stores owned and run by your neighbors sends a poor message and only hurts yourself. It's like getting mad at someone for shooting you in the foot and instead of shooting/fighting back, you cut your own hand off. It's not just big corporations effected/getting looted, it's small business. Even big businesses employ and in turn feed their neighbors. Large businesses are already strong arming the less skilled/poor workers out. Stealing and looting won't help them or their cause. They need to take the fight to those who wronged them.

In this case they seem to be doing that on some front. They've set the precinct on fire, and THAT I understand. I wish things COULD be handled peacefully, but people aren't listening to peaceful. I find it terrifying that people can even try to justify hurting themselves to get back at the people who are hurting them. As if somehow running your brothers out of town is going to stop racist corrupt cops from doing what they've been doing.

I'm not suggesting people calm down because calm hasn't worked. I do however find it incredibly disheartening to think that robbing stores, run on ground level by your neighbors, some owned and operated by them (some of which are probably also barely making it by as is,) is progressing anything in their favor.

While I wouldn't personally participate, I understand torching the precinct. I don't, on the other hand, understand hurting their neighbors who are also effected by this tragedy. (The death of Floyd and the blatant societal racism I mean.)

steinmetzify, BlackSG91 and tedtan like this.
  11. narad

I mean, I feel similarly -- I'm not going to have my mind changed into thinking all cops are bastards -- so I don't think discourse is beneficial.

I agree that the judicial system has long-standing racial biases (and often argue about it here in Japan) but it's a -bias-, it's not the whole thing. It's right there in the word. You can be an officer and hold everyone you encounter with due accountability. In fact, if you are a good person, it is even more reason to view joining law enforcement as an additional good you can do in the world.

And similarly, you're going to have a much better chance at moving the needle from within the system than outside of it, pushing an agenda of us vs. them that only enforces solidarity among officers of different yokes. So pushing ACAB type rhetoric is likely only making the situation worse IMO, since good cops can't speak out / act out -- they have neither the support of their community or their fellow officers.

TedEH, tedtan, mlp187 and 2 others like this.
  12. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

The problem is people keep getting away with shit like this. As long as people get away with it, it will keep happening. I don't understand why when these cops keep being set free after obviously murdering innocent people, nobody comes out to kill them anyway. Even if the system lets them get away with murder, the people should not let them get away with it. I doubt anything will happen to these cops because history already says nothing happens to white cops that murder black people for no reason. The system doesn't punish them and the people do not punish them so why would they be afraid to stop?

13. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I wouldn't exactly say that. Things are slowly changing. Very slowly, but people are outwardly getting sick of the shit and are starting to not take it sitting down.

It's worth noting that we went from pretending nothing was happening to putting them on administrative leave to outright immediate firing. They're baby steps, and clearly not enough, but things are (hopefully) shifting. I think it's a very real possibility that these guys, or at least the one, are getting some form of hefty charges. 2nd degree murder doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

Of course time will tell, and perhaps I'm just being too hopeful. I do know that the public at large's trust and patience is waning. Things will need to change or it's just going to get worse.

BlackSG91, tedtan and zappatton2 like this.
  14. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

At any rate arresting journos isn’t a good look

XPT707FX and mlp187 like this.
  15. narad

It's even worse from the view on the other side of the vehicle:

"The floor is hot lava! Gotta stay on top of the black guy, can't touch the floor or you're dead!"

16. Randy

There's nothing wrong with posing a question but we've gotta be careful of advocating things like this. :nono:

To the overarching point, it's true that there's a bubble that seems to surround some people, and it goes beyond 'the blue wall of silence'. George Zimmerman was not a cop but the protections he's enjoyed ever since, despite proving himself to be a generally scummy person, tell the tale. Karma seems to be taking a rest, I guess? :shrug:

Nothing's gonna change on the systematic police protections, though. The cops have strong unions that limit the powers of their bosses intervention, then the department holds a lot of sway with the DA's office, and the DA's office holds a lot of sway with the criminal courts. That's what makes abuses of power so abhorrent. Because you're carrying out an unnecessary level of force with the understanding that those you visit it upon are put in your care, and with the understanding you're likely in minimal harm (ie: you have a gun, they don't, there's a several of you and one of them, etc). I don't think this country is especially good when it comes to handling abuses of power at any level.

17. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life SS.org Regular

Insult reported.

We'll see how the mods deal with this

18. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

All "good" cops are complicit with the systematic abuses that are carried out by the "bad" ones. If they weren't, this movie would not have so many sequels.

Dineley, XPT707FX, cwhitey2 and 5 others like this.
  19. narad

Without a medical report I'm guessing they'd go with (a), but maybe I'm open to other conclusions.

20. Randy

Didn't see that. It's been dealt with.

We can argue, we can debate and it's an intense subject, so I expect emotions to run over but we can't advocate killing people FFS and we gotta not name call.

shadowlife and Alexa run my life like this.