Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12 loaded w/ Eminence Swamp Thangs... Am I crazy?

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Was wondering what these might sound like in that cab. I do tend to prefer a slightly darker, somewhat thick tone, and I love the quad of them I've had in a Marshall 1960B 4x12 for awhile.

Haven't needed to use the 4x12 in a long time though, and keep it in storage. I keep the G-Flex handy for reasons of space and practicality.

So, I find myself wondering.... what if I transplanted a couple of Swampies' into the G-Glex? I'm certain it will sound massive. And i'm not too worried about muddiness... my rack is an AxeFX Ultra into a Mosvalve 962 power amp... I got plenty enough EQ options to add all the cut and midrange I'd need.... just wondering what that'd sound like pumped into a big, resonant cab?

if it matters... I'm not playing live, nor do I even have anyone around I jam with... I mostly play straight into my desktop recording PC using IR's in the Ultra and stuff. The cab is just what I use when I occasionaly just want to plug in, toke up, turn up, and shake my balls a bit. Although, in a pinch, I'd like for it to be functional in a band situation and cut well.... I'm really a rhythm player, also BTW.

My only concern here is if there a danger of damaging the speakers? I've read that ported cabs can sometimes be an issue for certain speakers. But none of my Google-Fu has turned up much in the way of whether Swamp Thangs can be used thusly.

xero7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Should be fine. I ve have used the eminence in Marshall 2x12 and it was surprisingly good compared to the other pairs of speakers I had at the time. Swamp things probably not as dark as you might think compared other speakers .
to me they just sound unharsh with big low end and decent mids. Best of all the eminence I ve have tried. I have the g flex cab with the oem eminence speakers which I think are great so I would probably just ride those out unless the need the extra headroom.

cGoEcYk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have never heard about ports being risky for speakers.

The main thing may just be that the cab (dimensions, ports) is probably tuned to deliver a certain response relative to the specs of the stock speaker.

Swamp may sound awesome or better than the original, or it might sound muddier. Speaker rolling is kind of experimental. IMO generally the best sounding cabs are ones where the design was engineered to match the speaker.

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can use the ST in a ported cab, no problem. Power handling remains the same according to Eminence. As long as you don't mind the off axis boominess of the G-flex, you are good to go.

Metalman X

Reaction score
Should be fine. I ve have used the eminence in Marshall 2x12 and it was surprisingly good compared to the other pairs of speakers I had at the time. Swamp things probably not as dark as you might think compared other speakers .
to me they just sound unharsh with big low end and decent mids. Best of all the eminence I ve have tried. I have the g flex cab with the oem eminence speakers which I think are great so I would probably just ride those out unless the need the extra headroom.

Good to know! I may just give this a go now. Just gotta dig the 4x12 out.

I don't mind the stock speakers either... their pretty damn good, but I'm a tinkerer, and I can't hep but wonder on the "what if's", y'know?

I'm actually thinking, while i have the 4x12 out, I might take the stock EMi's from the G-Flex, and X-pattern them in the 4x12. Could be interesting. My only concern is that, I fell like the Swamps are gonna overwhelm them, since they seem to just be louder than alot of other speakers I've messed with (higher sensitivity, I believe?)

Your correct though about them not being super dark either. I mean, I've had them in that 4x12 since like 2004-05 I believe. They've seen many a rehearsal and gig, and I never once had a problem cutting through with them. I find they have a balanced mid-range, and treble, to go along with that extended low end (I don't think theirs a better speaker for taming super harsh ice-pick highs, in fact). And I think I'm just used to that, since I feel like that gives me more leeway in the EQ to boost the mid and treble frequencies i want, but not have any baked-in massive peaks to contend with (that said, when i record, I do tend to use IR's of V30 loaded Mesa cabs, cuz they just work so well in that realm).

I did have a pair of Texas Heat speakers in the G-Flex for a bit, but I found them a little too peaky in certain areas of the high end. I just love that syrupy thick grind the Swamps do so well. Only other speaker i heard that also achieves that is the Celestion KT-100's. Those are nice, but TBH, the Swamp does a very similar thing with a lower price tag and a higher headroom, so theirs that.

Metalman X

Reaction score
I have never heard about ports being risky for speakers.

I read in a couple of places that it can damage the suspension in certain scenarios. That being said, I've never actually witnessed that, or knew someone personally thats mentioned that happening, so could just be internet hear-say. That being said, I'm unemployed, and waiting on a disability case, soooooo I can't really afford to have anything going kaput on me since I'm either gonna need to sell it soon, or it's gonna be one of the few things I'll hold onto since I wont really be able to make any serious gear purchases in who-knows-how-long now.

You can use the ST in a ported cab, no problem. Power handling remains the same according to Eminence. As long as you don't mind the off axis boominess of the G-flex, you are good to go.

Well, like I was sayin'... this is really just for loud basement-apartment jamming (and still overkill for that, really... but hey, I frakking love Overkill! :hbang: ), so this won't be cranked anywhere near any of it's limits... hell, with their headroom, and the Mosvalve (those are louder amps than people realize... possibly the loudest SS guitar amps I've personally heard) I imagine everything will be safe. the boominess... well, we'll see. Even if I was in a live scenario, cab and mic placement would be able to deal with that in most cases I'd imagine.

I dunno guys... i think this is gonna be my weekend project! :metal: