Generation Axe Supergroup & Tour - Vai, Malmsteen, Wylde, Nuno & Tosin

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by OmegaSlayer, Feb 17, 2016.

1. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

i got tickets for the Long Island performance, should be interesting

2. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Just purchased tickets. Curious to see Nuno Bettencourt. Wasn't aware that he released solo albums. Dying to see Tosin Abasi play his 8 string Ibanez. This will be the first time, other than on Youtube, that I've seen anyone play a 8 string live. :cool:

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Am I the only one that finds Zakk stands out as being significantly less impressive a guitarist than the rest of these shred-masters?

4. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Scored my tickets. Aside from the VIP packages the prices for this are really reasonable.

5. Michael_Ten

Michael_Ten blergh yas

Seems they've made an attempt to appeal to every demographic of rock/metal guitarist.

Modern gear nerd/tech wanker: Tosin Abasi
    ShRed neck: Zakk Wylde
    Progressive guitarist elitist: Steve Vai
    Neo-Classical bedroom shredder: Yngwie Malmsteen
    "tru rocker, the 80s were the glory days" hair-metal guy: Nuno Battencourt

All so different in style in order to cast the widest net, but so little crossover in actual musical content. Battencourt, Malmsteen and Vai have a small chance of making it work between the three of them, provided Battencourt decides to be the bigger man and stick with rhythm, Vai can keep his ego in check and Malmsteen decides to play some tasteful stuff for once in his life. But throw Wylde in the mix and everything gets messed up as soon as you leave E minor blues. Then you'd have Abasi sitting on the back going like "when can I play my polyrhythms?"

6. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I am reasonable sure that every musician here, even Zakky, is talented enough to make it work together. I am sure they have rehearsed together.

People love to bitch.

7. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

To be honest, aside from the melodic intervals (Zakk being blues and Yngwvie being claissical), I don't find Zakk and Yng to have that different of a playing style.... Basically, they can play *this* fast, so they do.

Yes, Yng prob knows more scales, but is he really contributing to his MUSIC any more than Zakk? I think not.

Mindlessly vampling Vivaldi is akin to and equal to mindlessly vamping Rhoads (may his soul rest in peace).

8. Riffer

Riffer PRS

I'm actually really excited to see Zakk. I've always loved his tone and his style. It sounds like that at any moment he's just going to break a string or blow something up. Also really looking forward to Nuno. Tosin I've seen a few times but it will be interesting to see what he does on this tour. :yesway::yesway:

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

While your post was funny overall, this isn't fair to Nuno at all. :lol:

He's got a lot more going on than hair metal, and Extreme weren't really typical hair metal, anyway. They were more funky hard rock that got forced into a hair metal image due to the time period they came out.

10. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Nuno had some of the best tone to come from the 80's, very woody and strong. His play style was insane too.

11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I really, really, really loved ZW in the 90es. Now he's sort of caricaturing himself.
    He's the only one of those whose music I digged, althtough he didn't write everything by himself. The others are moire on the "interesting" side but I'm not really a fan.
    I almost purchased an ESP replica of ZW burnt LP with the beer capsules in 1995 in Japan.

12. Michael_Ten

Michael_Ten blergh yas

I wasn't aware my post was fair to any of the 5 guitarists featured in this thread.:fawk:

13. Wildebeest

Wildebeest SS.org Regular

Yeah Wylde can really let it rip. I think this tour is going to be great, I would have bought tickets if they weren't $125 at the lowest cost in my area. I've seen Steve and Tosin live, I just really want to see Yngwie at least once. He was my idol in 8th grade.

14. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Tosin for sure & properly Vai have enough theory to play under the others soloing, but will they???

15. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

I'm super geeked for this, I really hope I don't miss out on it!

16. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Vai will definitely play OVER others solos, just watch any G3 jam, if you're not Satriani then he will step on you.

17. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Odd, on the contrary, I thought Yngwie was doing just that during the Satch/Vai/Yngwie G3 jams.

Still awesome either way though.

And I the only time I ever saw Vai play over a solo was when G3 played in Melbourne. Satch was doing the outro solo jam during Always and suddenly a bunch of long sustaining notes were going on in the background for Vai to introduce himself. Petrucci did something similar right afterwards.

18. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I'm not a fan of Zakk but I respect him.
    Zakk is a great guitarist.
    He rips, he's different than the others, and you know it's him from 2 notes.
    And HE can play better than 99% of us in this forum, he just has his style, it's only a pentatonic? Yes but few can play a pentatonic and give it an aggressive meaning like him.

19. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

This is an awesome line up, sucks thats its only in the US and not coming to the UK, only one I am not a fan of (personally) is Tosin

Think its pretty fair to say based on all the other G3 tours and the Guitar Wars tours etc etc that all of them will be giving each other a huge amount of respect and space to allow each other to let rip.

If I was goign to see this then tbh the one I would be most excited bout seeing would be Nuno.

20. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Also a legit observation, it seems to me the equation runs: Planet size ego + Skill + Guitar Jam = Poor Guitar Etiquette.

If you watch G3 in Tokyo Vai does step on Petrucci quite some too. Maybe he realised that he couldn't battle the mass of Yngwie 's ego :D

But in all seriousness, while this kind of thing does make me cynical I am kinda fuzzy over Zakk being there. Sure he's been stuck in a mad rut for probably about 15 years now but he is the reason I picked up guitar and he is probably the only one out of all those guys who still influences me today.