Geezer metalling again

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by TigerSpider, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TigerSpider

TigerSpider New Member

I'm a 52 year old extreme/prog metal lover who has played guitar for 35+ years. But for the past 20 I've mostly noodled on my acoustics or borrowed one of my pro guitarist nephew's 7-strings. I just bought my own: a Schechter KM-7 MKII that I have fallen in love with. It's perfect in every way and feels so silky in my hands. The Seymour Duncan Nazg├╗l and Sentient pups are bliss. So, I guess the nephew is going to be giving me some lessons and getting me rocking. I've been working on some Conquering Dystopia riffs via the Guitar Pro HD tab app on my iPad. I've just splurged on a nice little pedal board, which I am currently running through my little Peavy Vypyr or a borrowed 6150+ combo. I love the latter, but am looking for other recommendations for a tube combo that would be good for my basement riffing and would also serve me in a small bar/club should I decide to cover my bald head and pretend like I'm twenty years younger and get a band going. Any advice is appreciated. I am also looking for some links to some good chord voicing charts for 7-strings.

2. LocoGringo

LocoGringo Member

I'm currently running a Engl iron ball through a custom pine 1X12.Sounds great even with the eight string I'be been playing lately.Remember we're not old metal,we are battle hardened metal.

3. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Nice! Never too old to play!

For recommendations on amps, it'll help to know the sound you're looking for, whether you prefer a looser sound, raw, tight, processed, compressed etc. I'd also say a trip to a decently stocked music store or 3 is a good idea, try out some mesa boogies, peaveys, engls, fryette, well, any high gainer really, and see whatyou like the sound of. These days I'd go for a head+cab setup in all honesty, get the head you want, and then get a decent 2x12 cab (like a nice mesa one). That way you'll have more options available to you too, as not all heads have combo versions.

I'd also not be afraid of getting tube amps second hand, they're all simple inside and not overly complex to fix, and a lot of awesome heads can be found cheap these days on the second hand market as everyone seems to want to go digital/kemper, so it's a good time to get a head.

For basement noodling, I'd recommend just getting an attenuator like a THD hotplate so you can crank the amp, but still have a sane at home volume.

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

People in metal tend to overlook 1x12 combo's, myself included.
    I just always had mental blockage about it. 4x12 or bust was my motto.

But recently I've been noodling on 1x12 open-back combo amps and have been liking it,
    because you can always add a 1x12 closed-back extension cab later on down the road.

The combination of open & closed back makes for some really nice tones.

5. Jamiecrain

Jamiecrain SS.org Regular

Forget 4x12s etc. Stick with 2 speakers, 1 left and 1 right, in stereo, with 20ms ping pong delay. It will change your life.

6. Hbett

Hbett SS.org Regular

Check out the blackstar ht line. Pretty cheap, but great tone and can get loud if necessary.

7. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

EVH 5150III 50watt 1x12 or 2x12 combo. I got the 1x12 combo from sweetwater in November and have never been happier. Based on the bands you're listening to and style you're playing, this amp will do all that easy. Tremendous thump for a 1x12 due to cabinet size and resonant control on the back and you have the added benefit of the power scaling knob on the front so you can go from 50 watts down to 1 watt and the saturated gain will stay there at any volume or wattage setting. You don't need any boost or distortion pedals in front of the amp. All I'm running is a ISP Decimator pedal in front of the amp to keep it silent when not playing and then I have a TC Electronic Flashback x4 in my effects loop that I engage on clean channel and when I play leads. Simple setup that will simply rock and it sounds fantastic all the way down to conversation volumes. But believe, it can get freakin' loud too!

8. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

You had me at geezer metallling.

Especially in a band setting, i really like having at least 2 speakers. 2x12's, especially combos, are pretty damn heavy.

I've become a fan of the 2 stacked 1x12 cabs setup with a smaller 20-40w amp head on top. It will sound big and also stack nicely, and be easy to transport and such. I'm running 2 V30 diavlo 1x12 cabs which sound nice - but they are a bit heavy as 1x12's go (still easy to carry though). I like the 5153 50w suggestion or a Diavlo 20w head

9. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

Best amp overall is either the Engl Ironball or Mesa Mark V 25. Tried both, but own the Ironball. It is about the tone you prefer here.

Amazing tone, but less versatile is a Friedman Pink Taco.

Want a little More power for less money, skip the Peaveys, and go straight for the EVH Mini head. 50 watts, headphone out for practice. No power soak like the Engl (I don't gig, so that is essential- I am a 49 year old metal bassist so we should form a metal geezer club :metal: ) good tone at low volumes but if you get into a band scene then plop it on top of larger speaker and you are good to go with any metal drummer. Still thinking about getting one (it was between this and the Ironball). A used head can be had for $650.00

10. Detested

Detested SS.org Regular

Look into a vypr t60,have one and it does metal pretty good,I use it for headbanging at home (toupee half way off,kidding,just bald)and if I get a blues itch it can do that too,stuck kt88s in it and a vintage mullard with a governor speaker=ballsy warm.Any way friends give me shoot about still listening to metal.
    Hell I still love it!