Geddy Lee DI-2112

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Spinedriver, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I was looking at the picture of it and it appears that there's no on/off footswitch (or otherwise).

[​IMG]

At first I thought it was just a prototype/mockup picture but apparently this is indeed the final product. So apparently, if you dial in some grit, there's no way to turn it off or on, it's just a 'set it and forget it' because there isn't even a jack for an external footswitch.
    Is it just me or is that a REALLY poor design choice to not be able to turn a pedal like this on & off.

2. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

because it's literally a rack preamp in a different form factor, it's not designed to be used as a stompbox, it's always on.
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/ged-2112/
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/di-2112/ "Merging the design of the rackmount and the portability of the pedal, the SansAmp DI-2112 offers yet another new format that is designed to be equally at home on a studio desk-top as well as an amp-top."

but if you want there's the sansamp YYZ : http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/yyz/ which has a footswitch

Veldar, Spinedriver and Zhysick like this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah they designed this as pretty much a desktop version. Was meant to be a home-friendly version of the rack, without sacrificing some of the features like the YYZ does.

Spinedriver likes this.
  4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

There are lots of rackmounts that have been 'made into pedals' but this is probably the first premap/od pedal that I've ever seen (that's been made in the last 10 years) that didn't have a footswitch to buypass the effect or at the very least switch 'channels' so it just struck me as being really odd.

5. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

it is meant to take up two inputs at the snake or interface, then recorded to two tracks. You can dial in/out the grit as needed from there.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I noticed Sweetwater advertising this thing as a pedal, but I think they fucked up in that regard. It doesn't seem like it's built to fit on a pedalboard. Sansamps seems like they want you to use this running into a mixer/computer or in your gig's backline, rather than a pedalboard. It's meant to be something to tweak on your desk, or set-and-forget when you're gigging like the rackmount version.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It was built pretty much to Geddy's exact specifications and requirements, take it up with him. :lol:

Veldar, Spinedriver and budda like this.