GAS: Agile Doublecut (AD3000)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by budda, Jan 8, 2009.

1. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

[​IMG]

Agile AD-3000M Blue Flame w/Case at HomeOld

as a previous Hamer doublecut owner, and liking how the DC's look - Do Want. and $400 w/ OHSC too!

I'd rather have pearloid/mother of pearl inlays then abalone, but you can't win 'em all...

stupid credit card and it's having nothing on it - i'd be lining up to kick myself in the balls if i bought it.

so gorgeous though... :yum:

what say ye?

2. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I'm still not totally sold on Agile's figured maple tops. They seem really dark and over-stained to me, which kills the 3D effect of the top. The pics aren't very good, but the "natural wood binding" on the top looks to me more like mahogany than maple, which leads me to believe that those "tops" are actually just veneer. Yeah, it's real maple, but if it's not a carved slab or even a bent top, it's not a "top".

I also read at least one report of somebody at the Agile Guiar Forum ordering one of these and getting a guitar that had trapezoid inlays starting at the 3rd fret instead of abalone blocks starting at the first fret.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

that's weird, darren! :scratch:

also, it's advertised as 3/4 thick (what im getting :D) canadian maple top. having not played an agile LP/DC style yet, i cant say anything about the tops.

i still want to rock out on one :D lol

4. AgileLefty

AgileLefty hates brand snobs

it is indeed a true 3/4 inch maple top. here is an actual pic of the guitar, as you can see it's much brighter looking than the stock Rondo photo....

[​IMG]

and here is a link to a review with more pics by the guy who just got it yesterday....

Agile Guitar Forum - - NGD AD-3000M Blue Flame

5. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Note the trapezoid inlays starting at the 3rd fret, vs. the blocks starting at the first fret as per Rondo's spec page. And the buffing/sanding through the finish at the tip of the headstock.

There have also been a couple of recent Agile deliveries that had the bridge mounted in the wrong spot, making correct intonation impossible. It seems the owner of that guitar is also concerned about the bridge position. (And i'm a little surprised after people send these back, Kurt just re-sells them as B-Stock, even if it's got a critical playability issue like a mis-placed bridge.)

That body is REALLY thick! I'm still not convinced about the top... the edges seem too dark to me... flamed maple is normally appears much more "blonde" unless they're using a tinted clearcoat.

Nice small heel on it though. It looks like a pretty sweet guitar. I've always liked the double-cut LP look. I like these more than the Agile "PRS-ish" models.

6. elrrek

elrrek Contributor

I really like the body shape. The colour is a bit "strong" but if it same in a natural finish or even the dreaded black I'd be considering a purchase.

If it was a 7 string and had a 27 inch neck I think the idea of getting an Interpid would be getting bumped ... again!

7. Apophis

Apophis Banned

looks really interesting