Games that should get remade

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by beerandbeards, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Funny since I thought the Trials of Mana remake was great, not excellent but enjoyable. Granted that it did absolutely nothing new, but did 'almost' everything right, or at least better than the Secret of Mana remake... which in hindsight, the original has not aged well at all. Seriously if you want to play a good modern Secret/Trials of Mana game, just go play Ys VIII or IX instead.

I've given up with anything to do with the Chrono and Xenogears property. Squenix has kept them chained in their basement, and barely letting them out for air in the form of crappy ports and the odd new arrangement soundtrack or two. Those two properties are long dead, and even Monolith Soft can't even remake Xenogears well enough. But I guess that's what happens when Takahashi's ambition was just to big that any attempt on making a product just collapses under it's own weight.

Yeah, funny that. Past me was so naïve. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

When did you make that post and what were you referring to? I assume it was before the FFVII remake came out as it contains all of those bad qualities you listed!! What "good" remake did they release?

Nier: Replicant's good, but I think it was outsourced. Also it was after FFVII.

3. Bloody_Inferno

May 14, 2020, a month AFTER FF7R was released, and after I played it. And if anything, this thread actually documents me in the minority who didn't really care for that game.

I was also being unsubtle with "all those bad qualities I listed" pointing directly to FF7R. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Hmm, I guess I'm confused by the post, then. Was it just sarcasm and you'd expect any Chrono remake to be split over 10+ years like the FF7 remake surely will? :p

I HATED FF7 remake, like I felt it was one of the worst games experiences I've had in years. The voiceacting and writing was utterly wretched on top of me completely not jiving with that chaotic excuse for a combat system. Maybe I'll try again sometime with Japanese audio to distance myself from the awfulness a bit. Maybe not till the PS5 version goes free on PS+ though!

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Windows Solitaire, but add a multi-player campaign...

6. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Wait just a minute! What was wrong with Bravely Default?

7. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

DD/RCR in a 3d/open world adventure environment with some beat em up is what I'd like. Nothing against side scrollers but I completely agree it would a tough or nonexistent sell these days.

I've never played Bouncer or Dynasty Warriors, are they no good?

8. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I just haven't liked pretty much anything Asano has done, going back to the FF III remake for DS. They all have the same style and none of it appeals to me. I tried BD2 when it came out cause I read some pretty flattering things about it, but it was more of the same from his previous games that I didn't like.

9. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Hmm, fair enough. I love BD, BS and am waiting patiently for my brother to finish BD2 so I can play it.

10. Bloody_Inferno

So there's talks on leaks from Nvidia GeForce NOW that a Chrono Cross Remaster and a FFIX Remake is happening.

The former seems more likely than the latter, but I guess it's a sign Squenix still want to let everyone know that the Chrono property is still alive and theirs, whilst sorely neglected. I guess the modest overbloated little sister of Trigger can come out for nourishment every now and then.

The latter, well that'll be interesting. There's a FFIX children's show already in development apparently, it'll be interesting to see them follow through with a full remake, or at least see how they can screw it up.

Either way, I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  11. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

Did anyone mention a Suikoden 3? That's one I keep picking up over the years and then don't finish it for some reason. A modernization of it LoZ style would be cool.

12. Bloody_Inferno

A new Suikoden ANYTHING would be nice and welcome. But we're also asking Konami to budge from their contempt in making new games.

EDIT: turns out there's an upcoming game called Eiyuden Chronicles, supposedly a spiritual successor. Makes sense since the studio developing the game is made up of Konami refugees mostly who worked from the Suikoden games. That's at least something.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Mathemagician likes this.
  13. Bloody_Inferno

There may be only one other person other than myself that was wishing for an Actraiser remake.

Then this happened.

Squenix is taking my money again. :lol:

WarMachine, rokket2005 and StevenC like this.
  14. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

If Enix is doing remakes of SNES games they should get on Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma next.

Mathemagician likes this.
  15. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Me too! For YEARS I was dying for a remake or sequel. Didnt even know this existed until Saturday night. Quickest Steam purchase I've made short of RE8 Village. Maybe I didn't give it much a chance yet, but so far honestly I'm really let down on it. Pre rendered graphics and every 2 steps a tutorial. But again, I only played up to the sim section of Fillmore and cleared out the 1st monster lair. Dont wanna rag on it too hard until I can sit and grind it out. But I was really expecting to be blown away after all these years..

16. WarMachine

if they end up making a soul blazer remake(which i HIGHLY doubt), and its not given a better treatment than this did, then ill be about done with sqeuenix.

17. Bloody_Inferno

I'll probably do some long winded post about Actraiser Renaissance in the other gaming thread, but I'm up to the 4th land and while I'm having fun, I have a ton of bugbears.

I'll be the first to raise a hand begging for a Blazer trilogy remake, as documented throughout this thread. Renaissance literally came out of nowhere, no hype, no ceremony, nothing. Just announced and released at the same time. I can't remember the last time a game company has done that, let alone a triple A corp like Squenix. If, and a big IF, they do end up releasing the 3 Blazers (Terranigma will make bank with US release), I'll be on board just like Actraiser. And I'm sure there will be modern gaming flavoured problems there too.

WarMachine likes this.
  18. WarMachine

That's interesting, i never new Terranigma tied into either of the other 2. Great game also, i didn't get to play until a few years ago but man it was great. Fucked up, sad story but great game! One of the few if only from the SNES where the story was well written enough that i felt bad for the main character lol.

19. Bloody_Inferno

Terranigma isn't tied to the other 2 per se, certainly not officially. It's just developed by the same team as the other 2 as well as shares the same theme of world regeneration. And there's a few references between each other as well to show some sort of spiritual continuity.

I adore Terranigma, and it's a game I tend to revisit every few years. Easily one of the best action RPGs in the twilight years of the SNES.

WarMachine likes this.
  20. Bloody_Inferno

Forgot to reply...

The Bouncer was one of Squenix's odd ducks, where it was a 3D brawler mixed with cutscense. It's got the spirit of an old school beater (the 3 small/medium/large archtypes, various moves, beat up a ton of goons etc), it was just weird coming from Square. The game was also too short. I remember renting it for a weekend and completed everything.

Dynasty Warriors... that's a whole new genre of hack and slash, but it does carry the spirit of brawlers, just much more loosely. The primary gameplay loop is similar, run around and beat 'em up. This time you're a one man army slaughtering legions of goons on a set map. It'll certainly give the same catharsis as a brawler, even if it feels like a whole new sub genre.