Games that should get remade

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by beerandbeards, Jan 31, 2019.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been wanting to play that one too - but it's hard to get a hold of if you don't have a Wii U... which I don't. I've been wondering if I should get one just 'cause it has a lot of stuff you can't get elsewhere.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, the Wii-U is really worth it if you're a zelda nut. I have virtual console versions of skyward sword, minish cap, majora's mask, and then disc HD versions of twilight princess and wind waker on there and not on any other system. Minish Cap is really fun, I'd put it above Link to the Past for fun factor for sure, I just sort of lost interest at some point cause I had too many other games in my backlog.

TedEH likes this.
  3. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

The same Capcom studio made Minish Cap.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I was thinking about how much I really enjoyed UN Squadron on the SNES, and being my number one favorite side shooter game on the system. That's a game that definitely needs a remake.

Not just some half assed reskin, ether. Name it Area 88 and put the REAL story in it. Not the watered down anime/OVA series, not that stupid stuff Capcom USA made up on the international UN Squadron manual. Lean right into the Area 88 manga story with the tragic protagonist and plot going completely off the rails into insanity and kill off most of the cast by the third act.

Go full 70 percent realistic flight sim, and 30 percent Japanese ridiculous to the point of goofy nonsense, Ace Combat 7 style. But this time add a bunch of RPG life sim elements that happen off battle. Since the story is about mercenaries, money management will play a big factor in buying planes and weapons (like the original), and building better relations with fellow mercenaries allow stronger wing men who can pull you out of a pinch. Make the protagonist central to Shin, but allow certain side missions to play other characters like Mickey, Greg and a few others.

Basically Persona meets Ace Combat but in the Area 88 universe. A lot to ask yes, and nobody other than me would probably want it. But I can dream right? :lol:

5. wankerness

KOTOR remake coming to ps5, apparently. I definitely was not expecting that. That’s awesome. Hopefully it’s more than just the pc version ported, but I’ll get it either way.
    Alan Wake remaster coming to everything, guess I’ll maybe try it.

XPT707FX, gabito and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  6. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

The original KOTOR is one of my favourite games ever and I spent a lot of my extra COVID lockdown time playimg the online version, ‘The Old Republic’.

I think KOTOR is more Star Wars than the new trilogy and I’m delighted to see it being reestablished in the Star Wars canon.

My choice now is whether to try to get a PS5 or whether just to invest in a new gaming PC...

Choop likes this.
  7. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

A few games I'd like to see get remade, because I enjoyed them immensely and we're great games, would be a couple of adventure games. The genre is not so popular anymore, as they were point and click adventures, but the stories were great.
    First is The Longest Journey and the other one is Grim Fandango. Not sure if I posted this before. I'd not even update the graphics, just make them more available for new systems lol.

One game that I'd like to see an update in games mechanics and graphics is the first Max Payne game. Nice story and gameplay but the skins and graphics are really outdated.

8. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

They should remake every entry in the THPS series from Tony Hawks Pro Skater all the way to THPS Underground.

Then make it available it online modes to play as well as online free skate in every level cross platform on every system so everyone can play.

If that happened I would probably actually play video games again, more than like twice a year.

9. wankerness

It sounds like the PS5 version will be coming out earlier than the PC version. But, it's probably at least a year or two out, anyway. It's kind of funny that now it's a PS console exclusive when the original was associated with Xbox for many.

My guess is a PS5 will be cheaper and easier to get than your average quality graphics card right now, but in two years? Who knows. Though apparently the chip shortage is expected to continue through 2023. Awesome.

10. Choop

Choop n______n

Sad reacts only. :'C

11. wankerness

Hey, I know! I went through all the trouble of getting a PS5 and now find out that all the big fancy exclusives I was hyped for (GOW:R and HZD2 mainly) are going to be coming out for PS4, too, since no one would buy them if they were PS5 only since barely anyone has the damn system. So, they'll probably be less fancy in the technical department than they may have been without having to be cross-platform.

I want to keep my PS4 pro cause I need a streaming device in a second room of my house and I might occasionally game on it, too, but man, it's tempting to resell the damn thing. They sell used now for about what I paid for it brand new!! This shortage is nuts.

gabito likes this.
  12. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

River City Ransom and the Double Dragon series. Either some new sequels in a similar style that isn't cheesy and lame or remakes into a large open world format. Some leveling/perks/items to barter type stuff would be cool too. I like the hunt and gather aspect (and crafting/item repair) of games like Fallout. Optional multi-player stuff is cool, being forced into it is not. Offline single player would also be a plus.

bostjan likes this.
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I love RCR, DD, and DD2. I still play those every once in a while.

As an old fart, I can't believe that offline singleplayer is something people have to beg for now.

Crungy and gabito like this.
  14. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

Fallout 76 got better about not requiring you to do quests with people. I'm hoping whenever they make another FO game it has an optional online feature, sort of like GTA V but with some crossover instead of it being a totally separate thing.

15. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

Same here, they're always fun!

bostjan likes this.
  16. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I'd love a Chrono Cross remake, except I literally don't trust Square to do anything right these days.

17. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The side scrolling brawler is a tough genre to remake. The rise of 3D has either made them evolve into games like The Bouncer or God Hand/Ashura's Wrath style beat em ups (and to an extent the Musou/Dynasty Warriors games), or go the way of old school nostalgia trips. Remaking the brawlers can either follow the Bouncer route or lean hard on nostalgia with modern graphics like Streets Of Rage 4 or River City Girls.

That said, I too would like to see more of them come back. Namely the Capcom arcade version of Alien Vs Predator. That game was much better and deeper than it had any business to be.

Crungy likes this.
  18. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Why's that?

19. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

So much lazy garbage out of them the past ten years. I haven't played FF7 remake yet, and I will at some point, but aside from that I can count two games from them that I've really enjoyed in the same time frame. DQ11, which is the Enix half and the Dragon Quest team has been basically unchanged for 30 years, and Nier Automata, which was Platinum and pretty much everything they do is fucking awesome. One of my favorite SNES games of all time was Seiken Densetsu 3, and I was super stoked for Trials of Mana when it was announced. All the life the original had was sucked out and it just felt crappy. Same went for Octopath Traveler, I went from excited for it to being bored for 35 hours because the story and characters made it probably the most milquetoast rpg I've ever played. I'm not going to go into Marvel's Avengers, Balan, KHIII, Bravely Default, the mess that FF XV was for 5 years, that last Star Ocean game etc. Now they're doing a retelling/remake of FF1 and having Eidos do more Marvel stuff? I just can't bring myself to care about anything they're doing in this current direction. I used to be a huge Square fan, I played all their shit back on SNES/PS1/PS2 but at this point I just wish they'd sell the rights to Xenogears to Monolith and hopefully leave the enix side alone to keep making decent dq games.

StevenC and narad like this.
  20. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Interesting. I agree with Octopath -- went in for the visuals, stayed for the ... well... didn't stay. But I loved the FF remake. For the purposes of this thread I would love a Tactics or Xenogears remake, but yea, I guess the fact that I'm thinking 25 years back on this is a bit telling.