Games that should get remade

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by beerandbeards, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Crafting, plus open-world, and "progression" as well for me. They all have their place, but they often seem to be tickboxes that publishers want now.
    The progression thing is horrid in some cases. There are lots of people out there playing games they actually don't particularly like, just for getting more XP, or skins, or levels, or whatever. It's bonkers. Of course the publishers love that, because it means more microtransactions.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Sort of on topic for the thread:
    LGR just posted a video about a guy who re-implemented Duke Nukem II without having the original source to work off of.
    And it has a web version:
    https://rigelengine.nikolai-wuttke.de/

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I like progression in 1 player games. I don't like games where you are static for the whole game in power level as much, I guess. I'm big on needless RPG mechanics.

If you're talking about multiplayer shooters, yeah. There's about to be a real reckoning with that bullshit. Basically, machine-learning aim-assist is finally being perfected, a really good one came out a week or so ago, and it's COMPLETELY undetectable via cheat scan mechanics because of how it does inputs (it's like super-auto-aim instead of the instant snap-tos with traditional aim-bots, and it runs on a SEPARATE COMPUTER so no scans of the player's computer will pick it up), and it works on console as well as PC. So, already some games like Apex Legends are becoming unplayable with an army of aim-assisted people just killing anyone that tries to play legitimately nearly instantly. There's vastly more incentive for players to just turn on the cheats and grind out the XP when there's huge grinds that are sped up by being good. And the more this spreads, the more "legit" players are going to just quit out of frustration and the more money the companies are going to lose. I think multiplayer shooters might be dead soon if this keeps up. And good! I HATE competitive multiplayer games, especially shooters, unless I'm purely playing with friends. And a lot of these games have made it difficult to only play with friends. And the XP grinds are just exacerbating peoples' desire to cheat instead of having fun. Go back to UT2004, where it was purely fun and there were no grinds, and I bet you'd have a lot less cheaters. Still some, but hey.

Crafting blows. I hate it. But, some people legitimately enjoy it. So, I don't really view it as a flawed mechanic, just one I don't like. The simpler the crafting system the better, IMO. I certainly will engage with it in games where it can be a huge part of gameplay/character progression like Skyrim or whatever, but usually I try to avoid it if you can get better weapons without using it, and if you can't, then I usually just try to do the bee-lines for crafting the best objects and skip any time wasted making any less-good items (ex Yakuza 7, Dead Space 3).

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

At the same time, the way you just described it - feeling like there's no point for "legit" players is how a lot of people feel about those genres anyway. They've been incredibly inaccessible (IMO) for a long time already, and cheating has been a thing for a long time already, and people who do it on a "pro" level probably aren't playing with random people who are likely to use bots or something. I can see it making a dent and being a big headache for people, but I can't see it killing the genre.

In a lot of ways, it's the Skyrim-esque grindy crafting that I don't like. Or any game where you have to spend hours grinding for raw materials to feed into a process to make more materials to feed into a third final process to finally make something with a mild stat boost over what your enemies are going to drop anyway that will become obsolete in a few hours after you get it anyway. It's the grind. I hate the grind. It's not the fun kind of grind. It feels like doing a job, and I don't want playing a game to feel like doing a job. All the power to people are like that kind of thing, but it's not for me.

There are ways to do things that are technically "crafting" or crafting-adjacent that make sense and don't feel like a grind -> like if materials are abundant and a result of the core game loop anyway. If crafting is implemented in such a way that it's just a system to reinforce player expression/choice within the bounds of the core of the game loop, then sure. Beat a boss and it gives you juuuust enough materials to upgrade your weapon but with a choice of what stat to prioritize? Alright, fine. But I don't want to spend 50% of my playing time running around empty fields and beating up low level enemies for leather and plants that I then need to spend another 20% of my playing time in menus to do something useful with to support the rest of the time actually doing fun things.

5. Choop

Choop n______n

Lol gawd.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Right. No one likes that. But, honestly, that's been a faulty game mechanic for decades. As much I love the Dragon Quest III / Dragon Warrior III, the amount of grinding required at certain points in the game sucks the fun out of it.

I feel like some of the modern games that people rave about (ahem Assassin's Creed) just seem to have too many of the flaws compounding on each other to make them at all enjoyable to me. I wonder if people play these games because they find them fun or because they are invested in the franchise.

I was hoping Doom (2016) would push things back into check. I'd love to see a reboot of Wolfenstein with a similar style and without weird demonic amulet powers (although that was still a pretty good game) or a Blake Stone reboot (does anyone under 40 even know about Blake Stone?!). I still play the old Heretic game a lot. I loved the quasi-medieval setting without the cumbersome RPG mechanics. If Heretic got remade, I have very little confidence that the developers would do so without adding in some garbage crafting or experience leveling system.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Loooool Blake Stone. I played a lot of that. Or at least a lot of the demo/shareware versions.

I think some people do like that though. And so it stays. I assume that this is most of what grabs people who are really into something like Animal Crossing. Those games are just chore simulators at their cores. Same for people who spend their time hunting down trophies and achievements.

8. bostjan

:shrug: Maybe I should put out a want ad for people to do the chores around my house, and I can pay them by emailing them digital trophies, then. :lol:

But I guess you're right. I always thought it was more of a thing that we put up with hoping that a good game would start happening than something people enjoyed for the task itself. But then you had FarmVille or whatever over a decade ago that was just logging in routinely and doing the same tired old tasks to collect whatever meaningless thing, and it totally blew up. I actually never played FarmVille, so maybe I'm mischaracterizing it a little, but it sure *seemed* like that's all it was.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Having been involved in a few mobile games that had sizable audiences, you'd be surprised which mechanics or details some people will latch onto.

10. wankerness

Dead Space 1 remake ala RE2/3 remakes confirmed, it will be "current gen" only ala Demon's Souls, but will get a PC version. I never played it, so cool. I think I have it on Steam and never played it, like most of my Steam library on my long-unused PC. I definitely played through 2 and 3 and enjoyed them (2 on 360, 3 on PC). First might be too scary for me, but hey. I'm sure there are plenty of people jazzed about this.

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I’m jazzed. That first game was excellent. Never played the second two.

12. bostjan

Too bad there will never be a Silent Hill (1) remake. That was the first game I beat multiple times in a row. I busted it out not long ago, and was amazed at how much worse the graphics were than I remembered.

13. MFB

MFB Banned

Dead Space 1 and 2 are horror classics, they're legitimately just RE4 in space. I'm hyped for this remake/remaster, and would love for it to relaunch the series.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

100%

crafting, cooking , all that. I avoid it unless its something you need to do to progress the game .

I just finished Witcher 3 and didn't forge, cook or craft anything . just used stuff I found and ate raw food

TedEH likes this.
  15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I can deal with crafting. Weapon durability can fuck itself. Probably the reason I never got that far in Breath of the Wild.

spudmunkey likes this.
  16. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I think I've said it before in this thread but weapon durability seems like such an antiquated feature and I kinda can't believe that Nintendo put it in BotW. The only reason I can think of is to encourage the use of different weapons and variety in play. Otherwise in games like Diablo it's totally pointless. At least in Divinity Original Sin 2 I think your durability only goes down when your character dies.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno that antiquated is quite the word for it - I've never thought of it as an "old" mechanic, especially not compared to all the other things we still do in games for some reason: hearts, lives, generic-fantasy-guy-with-sword stories, etc.

18. Choop

Choop n______n

Weapon durability is mostly OK, it's just that in BotW the items appear to deteriorate way too quickly.

19. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Weapon durability in Diablo 3 is especially pointless given that unless you are just terrible with managing your gold, it's merely something to do at the blacksmith. It's usually a negligible amount of gold, especially compared to how much drops. You could have gold in like 10 figures, and your repair bill after a rift or something might be four digits at most.

20. wankerness

The games I’ve played where it pissed me off the most were Fallout 3, BOTW, and dark souls 2. Usually it’s mostly ignorable and just a thing you have to do at a vendor periodically, making it pointless. BOTW it’s to force weapon variety, and you can’t repair weapons so it’s not just a gold sink, so I get it, I just hate it since durability doesn’t scale at the same rate as number of swings required to kill the average enemy.

ds2, your weapons lost durability faster the more you upgraded them and you could get screwed if you went too long between bonfires and didn’t have either repair powder or a backup weapon. It was mostly an annoyance, I guess probably designed to encourage variety. I guess at least it had more of a point than DS1 where it only mattered if you went a realllllly long time without repairing at the smith and suddenly your weapon would give a low durability warning and you’d panic!