Games that should get remade

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by beerandbeards, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

I bought the Dishonored Definitive edition on PS4 like a month ago!

I had just the vanilla Dishonored some years ago on X360, and was only half interested in it and made it, maybe 10 mins total and it totally fell off my radar for whatever reason. I'm trying to wrap up Darksiders before I start it since I'm like half way through it, but with moving it's all been put on hold.

How are the Thief series? I know people loved 1-3(?), and then I think it was the self-titled or maybe it was actually called Thief 4, that everyone disliked enough to make you think the game came to life and shit on their chest. I've never played any of them, but I feel like mechanically they're probably dated by this point that it'd be missing the QoL we'd expect from a stealth game.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Which is why I'm baffled they're doing it

TedEH likes this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've posted about them in the other gaming thread pretty often but to sum it up:

Thief 1 is janky but a lot of fun. Does a lot of things that were novel for the time and sort of seminal for stealth games going forward. Modern PCs need you to play with OpenAL drivers to get positional audio working, but it's worth it. Story kinda goes off the rails at times but never gets outright dumb. Recommended.

Thief 2 takes everything about the first game and makes it better. When people talk about liking Thief, they're usually talking about this one. Level design is better, the narrative is tightened up, the sound still works great, has a ton of character. Really great at creating a sense of ownership of an area, feeling like you're sneaking around places you don't belong, hiding little things in the world to reward exploration, encouraging player agency, etc. Still janky in terms of visuals, but that never bothered me. This game is, IMO, where a lot of immersive-sim games get their inspiration.

Thief Deadly Shadows sort of console-ifies the formula and is still a pretty good game, but suffers from some movement janky-ness as a result of how the same movement applies in 1st and 3rd person views. It's still got most of the Thief character of the first two, but made a bit more palatable for your average console gamer. Huge visual upgrade from the first two though. Lots of atmosphere.

Thief (2014) is a huge visual and mechanical overhaul (as well as a narrative reboot) that alienated a lot of fans because it didn't adhere very closely to the things that made the other games good. If you had never played a Thief game before and were expecting a discount Dishonored, it's not a "bad" game despite having significant flaws (the worst of which is the loss of positional audio and frequent loading gates). Changing the main character's voice actor and personality were a pretty big slap in the face to fans too. It can be a lot of fun if you temper your expectations going in. I honestly think the visuals and presentation of this one are top notch, and there was a lot of potential, but the ball was dropped in some key areas preventing it from taking it's place as a solid "Thief" title.

AxeHappy likes this.
  4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There are a lot of QTEs to remove

5. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I'm still debating with myself whether to try 2014 after my current Deadly Shadows run is done. I struggle with the changes in Deadly shadows to be honest. I've always boiled it down to 2014 not even having a jump function/button and nope out of it.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO, I'd give it a shot if you own it already, but if you would have to seek it out and buy it, I can't fault anyone for passing on this one.

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Oni

BlackMastodon likes this.
  8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

First game I got on my PS2, even before I had a memory card so I got very good at clearing the first 3-4 missions in one sitting. The third person shooting was pretty rough, particularly with the sniper Rifle that couldn't zoom, but damn was the hand to hand combat ahead of its time. Would love to see a full remake of it.

Ralyks likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

THIS. But with actually good controls ffs.

Ralyks likes this.
  10. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

Interstate 76 and Rise of the Robots

Really dating myself here....

Marked Man and Brutal08 like this.
  11. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

Hold my beer. :cheers:

I always loved video games as a young kid, but I really got deep into them during the first gen of D&D role playing games. The best of these to me was Pool of Radiance. Great, epic story line. I'd like to see that and Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, etc, rest of that series faithfully remade. And of course change some things just enough to make them new adventures without losing the core story.

I remember that I discovered Candlemass around the same time Pool of Radiance came out and always thought "A Sorceror's Pledge" was a sort of theme for Yarash the Sorceror or another like him, and would sometimes listen to music of that type while playing since there wasn't much game music at the time. I can imagine how well a great designer could redo the Yarash quest, Valhingen Graveyard, Sokol Keep, etc. Ahh epic times, and summer days seemed 25 years long then......