Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I don't know what I said about it. I just remember having a feeling almost every week like "man, this show is REALLY going downhill compared to previous seasons," and I kinda had the same feeling in season 4, but to a lesser extent that time. I don't think I posted that I was feeling that way at any point, but maybe I did! This season, on the other hand, I was always thinking "this is way better than last season." I think just about every single episode this season was better than the entirety of last season. I didn't even bother buying the blu-ray of season 5, when I'd preordered the previous four. I'll get it when it hits the discount bin and then give the season a second shot. I liked 4 a lot more on rewatch than I did while it aired.

I like sections of every episode and dislike sections of almost every episode. I don't think that qualifies as "shredding." When they have multiple plotlines going and some suck, it's kind of unavoidable. Even season 1, which was definitely the best season so far (probably due to having the most focused source material and the most adherence to it), had stuff I disliked like Daenaerys's brother getting all rapey with her, Littlefinger directing prostitutes to have sex with each other as some kind of political metaphor, Catelyn doing well...just about anything, etc. :hbang: I guess I don't find "The Chris Farley Show"-style posts to lead to any discussion I want to read or have! That's what you do in bars or when talking to hot chicks that like the show.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Did you see "Terminator"?

That was a pretty awesome flick. ... OK... remember... you remember when you were on Game of Thrones, and you were supposed to be dead, and..., uh..., there was all these clues..., that..., like..., uh..., you played some episode backwards, and it'd say..., like, "Jon Is Dead", and..., uh, everyone thought that you were dead? That was..., um..., a hoax, right?

:lol:

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Haha, that was good. I was thinking more like the Paul Mccartney episode where he was just like "remember when you did x? that was awesome." over and over, but that sure works too!

Speaking of GOT, I just met a new coworker this morning, whose FIRST small talk question was "do you watch Game of Thrones" and then excitedly discussed it for a good ten minutes before we talked about anything work related. I wonder if I look like a huge nerd, or if this is just the new normal!

It was awesome.

4. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

I finally got to watch it tonight. I've been isolated in the hospital so I had no spoilers and such thank God

I liked this episode so much. It was awesome. Cersei proved once again that she is completely ruthless. I thought that entire scene was fantastic. Maergery was indeed clever enough to know something was wrong, but the high sparrow was arrogant to the last moment. I really liked that because I hated him. It was definitely a massive event that set the tone for the whole episode.

Tommenn's suicide was done well. We all saw it coming. I thought there were going to be running footsteps and he'd throw himself out. I liked that he calmly walked out. Jaime has transformed so much and so often. I go back and forth between liking him and disliking him every other episode. The look he gave Cersei made me like him again. Perhaps he shall be the King and Queen Slayer.

I had always suspected something about Jon's true parents. The way Ned so vigorously defended Jon's mother and never gave any details about her always had me craving more information. It also makes me love Ned even more. He faced the dishonor of taking his bastard home and living with him for nearly two decades and allowed Jon to suffer it himself for years to do the right thing. I miss Ned. Too honorable for his own good. Maybe Daenarys will marry to another member of her family as she had always thought she would until Viserys was killed?

Daenarys and Tyrion are a good pair. I definitely like Daenarys so much more when she has Tyrion around. I can't imagine what madness we'll see when they arrive in Kings Landing to find Cersei queen again.

The only thing I didn't care for as much was the Davos/Melisandre confrontation. It felt a little forced to me. Not terrible though.

I can't wait for next season.

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

In that scene, I think he might be considering being Kingslayer again.

6. bostjan

Maybe Jamie will become the Kinslayer. [/dadpuns]

I think the show might now feel like it is at the point Breaking Bad was at late in its run, where the stuff that is about to play out seems overall predictable. We know Dany is going to slam into Westeros, we know the White Walkers are going to slam into Westeros, and we know the White Walkers will be beaten by Dragons. We strongly suspect Bran will warg into a dragon, and it will be awesome. We all know Cersei is going to buy the farm. We all know the Hound will once again become relevant to the story somehow, probably redeeming himself. The kinds of open questions are:

1. Will the Hounds redemption be sacrificial? I.e., will he die in the course of redeeming himself as a good character? My bet is yes.
    2. What role will Jamie play? He's a great character, because he is so messed up. He is almost perfectly straddling the fence between good and evil. I think he will ultimately play out to be an incredible anti-hero, or perhaps even more complex as an anti-villain.
    3. Which other characters will die? I think it's safe to say that most non-central named characters will eat it before the show closes, but some will survive. These characters would be people like Sam, Davos, Jorah (if he makes it much further), Tormund, Brienne, Podrick, Missandei (sp?), Theon, Theon's sister Asha or Yara, Varys, etc.
    4. Will the remaining Starks all survive? I would not be surprised if we lose one more by the end.
    6. What will Tyrion do? I can only imagine his wit is going to be tested in a way we have never seen.
    7. Littlefinger seems to be pretty much revealed as the main villain in the north. I think when the White Walkers come, he will step up the pace of his antics somehow.

7. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I can't see it ending any other way than him defeating the mountain, which would make sense as it establishes him as a great sword fighter again. He's been doubting himself ever since he lost his hand. Then he kills Cersei. I'm not sure where it goes from there, maybe he just rides off into the sunset John Wayne style?

8. bostjan

Hopefully we would get to see him ride North and fight the White Walkers. I, personally, would like to see some sort of battle with everyone left standing versus the White Walkers. It could be interesting seeing old enemies fighting together against a much greater evil.

Either that, or the White Walkers kill everyone and bring back Ned Stark as a Zombie to be the true King of the North. :lol:

9. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

Love it :lol:

10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Or.. we have a big fight to death (obviously only for the first) between The Hound and The Mountain... that would be awesome too :drool:

11. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I think everyone's missing the real question here- will Brienne and Tormund F*ck?
    Best couple in the show.

I liked the episode. The season in general felt a bit weak, but the 2 last episodes were pretty good.
    - The Dorne scene crushed my hopes that a meteor crashed and killed everyone there but oh well, at lease Olenna was there to make fun of them.
    - Beginning scene was good (I didn't feel the need to see Lancel drag himself all the way to the candle personally) and I liked Tommen's suicide. Cerci continuing her traditional action first, thinking later method. I really hope Jamie kills her. He might finally go back to being interesting.
    - Sam is alive! Damnit.
    - I personally hated Arya's plot this season. They dragged us through so much time of dead-people-washing and blind-fighting to finally make her go all "wait nevermind I'm actually Aria Stark" and Jaqen goes all "yeah cool you're no one now". What? How is she no-one? And is he honestly cool with her just walking away and killing whoever she wants using their secret techniques? And now that she became a freaking man-baking psycopath, they better not just make her all "the ol' Arya you know and love", 'cause tha'll mean the whole Braavos arc meant nothing.
    - R+L=J. Cool. I really think Daenerys will arrive in westeros, marry Jon for political reasons (king in the north and all), hopefully they'll f*ck just to make it funnier, and eventually find out they're cousins. Whoops!
    - So They brought back The Hound this season to... have him show us his dick and that's about it. I really hope he won't turn into a good guy- it just doesn't fit his character in my view. We'll probably get to see a Hound/Mountain battle. My Money's on the Hound, zombie-mountain is boring anyway.

I think that's about it... Now we wait for next season.

Also, best ending idea for the show ever: Benjen (Cough deuxexmachina cough) mentioned the wall has all kinds of special spells on it to prevent the dead from passing- So just imagine the giant united Westerosi army on one side of the wall, the White Walkers are showing up with their huge undead army, they findout the can't pass through, the Night King goes all "F*ck this, I'm going home", the end.

[​IMG]

12. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

I thought the last episode sucked....BAD!:noplease:

13. extendedsolo

I heard a theory that the Brotherhood is going to join up with Danaerys and the Hound will be the answer to Cersei's zombie mountain. When they fight Cersei, the showdown will take place.

14. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I personally hoped the giant armoured guard guy would kill more people this season, oh well hopefully he gets some more nice kills next one!

15. bostjan

Sounds very logical. The show seems to be taking a more traditional turn lately.

16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

17. extendedsolo

yes! I wonder if they are going to do like breaking bad did where they do half and half of the season? I cannot wait for the white walker scenes.

18. bostjan

I thought that was pretty much already established. :confused:

As someone who read most of the books and watched the show so far, I am pretty mixed about this. I would have preferred the books to have been available first, or, at the same time.

Overall, I think the show is better than the books. I enjoyed much of the books, but they can really drag at times. The show does a much better job pacing itself, but there are some drawbacks with the characters and some other things left out or changed (perhaps a lot, we'll see)...

Anyway, I guess what I am saying is that I'll watch the show, and then probably either have no motivation at all to read the final books, or read them and be sorely disappointed for whatever reason.

But on the other hand, it feels that I have so much time invested in this story that there is no way that I won't want to see the conclusion of it. The show is seemingly in 90%+ uncharted territory (from the books) this upcoming season. Last season had some huge epic level astronomical spoilers in it for book readers.

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I also much more exited about the show than with the books, I lost interest after the first three, thousand of flaws that ruined the good pace. The series have a lot better groove in my opinion.

They are not going to do half and half. I've read 7th season is going to be shorter, like 7 episodes, so as 8th (and last season). The delay is due to the coming of winter in the plot, they needed coldest scenarios and had to wait for it, that's why this year we'll have to wait to July, it's going to be great to watch it in the 40ÂșC chilly Spain summer. :lol:

By the way, last week I went to the young Ned Stark castle scenario from last season, very close to my girl's place, very nice one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The show suffers tremendously from the cascading avalanche of butterfly effects from changes that result in silly unnecessary plot holes and outright terrible writing. The worst you can say about the books is FFC/DWD gets a little long-winded.

That all being said, the show is still good and I'm definitely watching until conclusion. But I'm definitely anticipating the books way more than the show.