big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Loved it.

Jon showed he is a bad ass warrior but not a real leader. It kind of showed that a true Stark would never have been so foolish. I really hope we learn more about Jon's mother through Bran.

Sansa might end up being an extremely formidable character. It really seems we are pivoting to full on female character domination. Dany, Yara, Sansa, Arya, Cersei, etc. I like it.

Loved Dany's stuff. I do wish she'doesn't do more commanding of the Dragon instead of flying it though

takotakumi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Loved the episode :eek: Specially the Meereen part with all the dragons...been wanting that for a while.

....so is Rickon the lamest/useless character from all the series?
He barely spoke or was seen in the previous seasons and contributed not much to the plot. Previous to the last arrow that nailed him, the one that "almost" hit him made me wonder if this was a game changer for him to finally do something in the story but noooo hehe

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It showed Sansa writing letters out of desperation. I had assumed to Littlefinger after the scene where Jon had suggested it, so, not entirely Deus ex Machina, but not exactly brilliant storytelling, either. Watch the old episodes again if you think Littlefinger came out of nowhere for no reason.

Everything up to that point was brilliant.

I don't think anyone was really invested in Rickon. I was very sad about Wun Wun, though. I thought Tormund was going to buy the farm, but he ended up having the best battle scene.

The only part that had me rolling my eyes a bit was the part where the Bolton troops so quickly surrounded the other forces, and subsequently how slowly they pushed inward.

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I loved the episode last night. I'm not a big fan of writers giving the audience what they want, but every once in a while I think it's effective. The thing about this show is that whatever happens always has consequences later. Yes Littlefinger did help Sansa, but it's not like he's going to say "welp that's that and now I'm going away!" He's in it for himself too. I think he'll end up meeting his end, just not sure how.

I could nitpick things about last nights episode, but the good far outweighed the bad.

Any predictions for next week? I think the white walkers show up at the wall next week and Cersei firebombs kings landing and Tommen meets his maker and queen margaery takes over and gets rid of the high septon.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Littlefinger is the best villain in the show, IMO. It'd be foolish to dispatch him prematurely. I think there are too many other things for him to meddle with for now.

The Dany storyline moved ahead a lot lost night, despite it being an episode 90+% about the Battle of the Bastards. I think things are fully set in motion now for a Dragon vs. Whitewalker war in Westeros. Too bad the dragons aren't called Wyverns, because, well, think of Barbara Walters saying "Wyvern / Whitewalker war in Westeros."

Sumsar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really liked the latest episode, especially since I completely mindfarted and forgot about Sansa and Littlefinger, so I was actually genuine thinking that Snow and/or Thormund would die, also caugth myself thinking "Please don't let Thormund die, we need him for romantic scenes with Brienne" :lol:

Anyway if they had actually died it would defiantly have been a really good death scene, with the drowning in fleeing comrades, and those are rare (good death scenes), so I guess they kind of wasted that one on a stupid 'fan favorite _almost_ died'-scene.

Also did they just spend 90% of this seasons budget on CGI for this episode?

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably close to that, yeah. I guess we'll see what happens next episode.

WhiskeyPickleJake

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
80 real horses and more $ per episode on this one episode.. I was skeptical. It did deliver though, and finally punishment for an evil character!

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They did an excellent job following Jon throughout the whole battle. It really gave it that feeling of total chaos which is what I imagine battles like that would have been.

myrtorp

Jiggywiggy
Reaction score
I thought the giant was a bit useless in the big fight. I mean when they were surrounded he could easily have snatched a few spears to get them out of the way and then stomped right through the lines and destroyed the formation from behind. Or bring a huge tree log as a weapon swatting several guys with each blow. Instead he stood there waving his arms at the weapons and killed like 2 guys overdramatically by tearing them apart (which was cool though)

I just think that guy could have built up some momentum and crushed through the enemy crating panic and dissaray!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, he did manage to bash through the castle gate with his bare hands in a matter of seconds. That was pretty useful. But it makes me wonder if Jon Snow even bothered thinking to bring a battering ram. I would think so, but he didn't seem to be too experienced in siege warfare.

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought the giant was a bit useless in the big fight. I mean when they were surrounded he could easily have snatched a few spears to get them out of the way and then stomped right through the lines and destroyed the formation from behind. Or bring a huge tree log as a weapon swatting several guys with each blow. Instead he stood there waving his arms at the weapons and killed like 2 guys overdramatically by tearing them apart (which was cool though)

I just think that guy could have built up some momentum and crushed through the enemy crating panic and dissaray!

I agree with you. He should have been wielding a massive log. The fear alone that he inspired could have turned the tides. No one in Westeros has seen giants. Seeing one walk onto the field with a massive weapon would be terrifying. We have to remember that the reader/viewer is well aware of dragons, giants, white walkers, dire wolves, etc but the common people of Westeros have no experience with ANY of that.

With a large weapon, he could have easily broken their shield wall again and again.

I was sad when he died. ....ing Ramsey Bolton. So happy a true villain got what he deserved.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Looking back, Jon's attack was even more of a trainwreck than I initially thought. Before even approaching Winterfell, he should have taken a day or two to assemble some weapons. Even in a wide open field, Wun-Wun would have been totally useless without some form of weaponry. If he held a tree trunk, he would have also been able to knock down the gate much more quickly.

Some scenarios: Jon was expecting Ramsay to come and get him. That's extremely stupid. Seriously, what's the advantage in having a castle, if you are going to leave the castle in order to face an attacker? That makes as much sense as ... like, setting down your sword so you can strangle someone, or putting away your calculator so that your fingers are free to add on. Anyway, hypothetically, if Ramsay did not have Rickon, all he'd have to do is stand there. I guess Jon was counting on the Bolton troops refusing to obey orders, but since that never happened before and Jon gave little to no reason to make that happen (so Ramsay refused single combat - who is going to tell the Bolton troops that he refused single combat? Jon? And then what?). Jon really didn't seem to have any viable plan to win, even in the best situation.

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking back, Jon's attack was even more of a trainwreck than I initially thought. Before even approaching Winterfell, he should have taken a day or two to assemble some weapons. Even in a wide open field, Wun-Wun would have been totally useless without some form of weaponry. If he held a tree trunk, he would have also been able to knock down the gate much more quickly.

Some scenarios: Jon was expecting Ramsay to come and get him. That's extremely stupid. Seriously, what's the advantage in having a castle, if you are going to leave the castle in order to face an attacker? That makes as much sense as ... like, setting down your sword so you can strangle someone, or putting away your calculator so that your fingers are free to add on. Anyway, hypothetically, if Ramsay did not have Rickon, all he'd have to do is stand there. I guess Jon was counting on the Bolton troops refusing to obey orders, but since that never happened before and Jon gave little to no reason to make that happen (so Ramsay refused single combat - who is going to tell the Bolton troops that he refused single combat? Jon? And then what?). Jon really didn't seem to have any viable plan to win, even in the best situation.

And I think ot all goes to the point that Jon is not a good leader. I love him, but he is a warrior, not a commander.

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And I think ot all goes to the point that Jon is not a good leader. I love him, but he is a warrior, not a commander.

totally

Ramsay showed he was smarter tactician in battle than Jon.

he forced Jon to meet him in open battle where he knew he had the numbers and plan to win .

WhiskeyPickleJake

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the ramifications of needing little fingers help. Maybe the walkers will come in time and none of this will matter anymore?