Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
I wonder who is responsible for the slaughtering of those people around the Hound. "The night is dark and full of terrors" would point at the Brotherhood, but the last time we heard of them they weren't exactly slaughtering innocent for sport.

It's been a while, but as I recall, after the death of Berrick Dondarrion and the advent of Lady Stoneheart in the books, the Brotherhood went kinda kill-crazy.

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm just hoping the Hound completely redeems himself. He is probably my favorite character. Please let him ally with the Starks in some way or "reunite" with Lady B. In don't really like straight up "good" or "evil" characters. I like the kind of good/neutral but terribly flawed ones like Sandor.

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
been thinking on it and I still liked the episode

thing that irks me a little it seems like Arya is gonna finish this season having gone no where , again

when she headed off to look for the faceless men I had high hopes for her story line. but it is really in a holding pattern it seems

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here is a theory I heard about arya and how that will be resolved

That basically Jaquen is Arya right now and uses her last kill as him. She knows the waif is coming for her and he has already shown he can use her face. Kinda flimsy but still. We see her jumping from windows in teasers for next week I think

or
She goes to the actors/actresses she helped out and they nurse her back to health. My impression was that they were traveling?

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the main problem the show is running into is it has lost all sense of urgency. For the first couple seasons the clear focus was on the Stark family and the throne. It also made it clear that no character was safe just because they were a beloved main character and used this to great effect. I would be anxious to find out what would happen in the next episode because there was always a very real risk that it would take a turn for the worse, which also made "wins" on the show that much more impactful.

Then they started to overuse the whole "brutally kill beloved character" thing to where you just kind of develop a complacency towards the character's lives because suddenly and shockingly killing a main character is only shocking so many times. Additionally, at this point in the show the only ending that actually makes any sense is Daenerys taking the iron throne and fighting the white walkers. They've made increasingly clear that the white walkers are the true threat and that the infighting in King's Landing is inconsequential, and yet continue to fill 90% of the screen time with the stuff they've just convinced us was inconsequential. I have no problem with "slow" episodes as I don't really think action has ever really been the show's strong suit and the exposition was always interesting and became crucial later on, but at this point it feels like they've already kind of shown their hand and are just waiting too long to follow through.

It's just a shame because this has been hands down my favorite show since I found it and while I still enjoy it, it really feels like it's losing steam.

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I wanted to read the books, what should I buy? The Song of Ice and Fire box set?

Edit: I took the plunge on the box set. I'm so ....ing excited. I haven't read a novel in years. Embarrassingly, not even a book. And I consider myself kind of an intellectual. Feels good to have a book on the way again. Maybe this will open the flood gates for me.

Fraz666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here is a theory I heard about arya and how that will be resolved

That basically Jaquen is Arya right now and uses her last kill as him. She knows the waif is coming for her and he has already shown he can use her face. Kinda flimsy but still. We see her jumping from windows in teasers for next week I think

or
She goes to the actors/actresses she helped out and they nurse her back to health. My impression was that they were traveling?
Interesting!
I read another one:
She and his killer are the same person, all their interactions are in his mind (Fight Club style). when she asks Jaquen to kill Arya, it is to complete the transformation

vividox

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the main problem the show is running into is it has lost all sense of urgency.
I think people are getting desensitized. GoT had a fairly even pace between Seasons 1 and 4, then Season 5 was super rushed in comparison. (And indeed, Seasons 1 through 4 covered the first three books and Season 5 combined the last two). The impression I get is that some people just want the story to be all buttoned up and finished already. They want the White Walkers to march, Dany in Westeros with her dragons, and Jon Snow to play his part. Almost a Monty Python "GET ON WITH IT!" if you will.

But the story isn't done yet. Season 6 got back to the pace of the first few seasons. Which, if anything, I will call an extremely positive thing. There is maneuvering, plot development, character development, and posturing still to take place. And that is happening every single episode. People who want to rush to the end are very quick to say "nothing happened" just because we don't see a Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, or Hardhome every single episode. But you can't have that every episode. You have to have all the pieces in place for episodes like that. Every single one of these episodes has moved entire armies, created or manipulated alliances, or killed off main characters. IMO, you can't say the show has lost urgency, you can only say that last season the show was rushing itself and it stopped rushing itself this season.

vividox

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I wanted to read the books, what should I buy? The Song of Ice and Fire box set?

Edit: I took the plunge on the box set. I'm so ....ing excited. I haven't read a novel in years. Embarrassingly, not even a book. And I consider myself kind of an intellectual. Feels good to have a book on the way again. Maybe this will open the flood gates for me.
Definitely made the right call getting the box set. It's simply a lot cheaper that way. Enjoy, the books are a real treat.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't mind there being different stories.

I actually like the ideal of having each episode tell a story, each season tell a story, and a grander overall story for the entire show.

In fact, they kind of lose me a little when an episode doesn't tell a story and they really lose me when a season doesn't really go along a particular story.

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Winter is coming.

No really, winter will be here before I finish these.:lol:

Simic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn, now I have book GAS hahaha :D Need to get myself a box set for the summer as well :)

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn, now I have book GAS hahaha :D Need to get myself a box set for the summer as well :)

Dude I read 300 pages of the first book today. Highly recommend it.

Its amazing how well the TV series captures the essence of the books. I like that ive watched the series first and am now reading the books.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
They just posted the last two episode titles for season 6. Huge spoilers for whats ahead so I'll just post a link. Needless to say, but I'm excited.

Game of Thrones Is Getting a Wun Wun-Sized Finale for Season Six

Oh boy! I'm excited about this!!!!one1!

790824.gif

SD83

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Massive disappointment at Riverrun. And I don't really understand where they're going with that. So that Jaime can go back to Cersei? How does Lord Edmures transformation work? He was rubbish at everything back at the Red Wedding and now here he is, after months/years of imprisonment at the Twins, of all places, stronger than ever and almost as badass as the Blackfish (who apparently had about 10 minutes of screentime in the entire series by now)? And why is everyone falling in love with Brienne lately?
Arya's part finally was interesting to watch, and there seems to be at least one thing she's good at, fighting in the dark.
The Hound and the Brotherhood... I don't know what Martins plans for Lady Stoneheart are now, but if they didn't even hint at her in this episode, it probably means she's really not going to appear. Unless the weird camerawork when the Hound was taking a piss is supposed to mean anything except for "hey, let's do something weird and pointless"
Mereen.. that was a suprise. Looks like we might get a massive battle for Mereen including 3 dragons in this season. Yay.

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Loved the episode this time. I can't wait until I catch up in the books. I've almost got.the first one finished.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mereen was fun until Daenaerys showed up out of the blue in the most low-budget manner possible and didn't do ANYTHING and just left everything totally hanging. Maybe this way the season finale can involve another sea of people worshipping her.

Arya's stuff was absolutely terrible. The way the waif was acting like the T-1000 and very slowly walking unexposed through the crowd to give Arya the maximum amount of time to run away and bleed and .... was idiotic, and then the way they had the slow reveal of the wall, like there was any chance at all of her losing?! And then the end, where Jaqen doesn't have any dialogue that explains any of this recent BS, and doesn't give her anything. What an awful plotline. She doesn't seem to have learned anything other than how to defend herself in the dark over the last two seasons.

Everything else in the episode was pretty good. I loved everything with the Hound especially.

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mereen was fun until Daenaerys showed up out of the blue in the most low-budget manner possible and didn't do ANYTHING and just left everything totally hanging. Maybe this way the season finale can involve another sea of people worshipping her.

Arya's stuff was absolutely terrible. The way the waif was acting like the T-1000 and very slowly walking unexposed through the crowd to give Arya the maximum amount of time to run away and bleed and .... was idiotic, and then the way they had the slow reveal of the wall, like there was any chance at all of her losing?! And then the end, where Jaqen doesn't have any dialogue that explains any of this recent BS, and doesn't give her anything. What an awful plotline. She doesn't seem to have learned anything other than how to defend herself in the dark over the last two seasons.

Everything else in the episode was pretty good. I loved everything with the Hound especially.

You know, I've thought about the Arya thing and I'm guessing she must play a massive part before the end of the series. I'm thinking that her plotline could've just been condensed and then we don't see her for a season. I'm under the impression that the writers didn't want to do that, or she becomes a badass later and is The Hand of the King or something. I've said this multiple times, but I'm waiting until the conclusion of the series to judge a story arc. It's still possible that there was a reason that her arc was so drawn out. In short, I'm not a big fan of it right now.

Next week though......any predictions? I think that Ramsey will lose but NOT die. He will retreat like a coward and we will get to see scared/terrified Ramsey suffer. I'm also banking on the supporting armies coming and helping Jon, LOTR style where they show up out of nowhere.