Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I thought the only reason he could warg into Honor was that he was simple. If Brand can simply warg into anyone, past or present, then, obviously, all bets are off. Just have him warg into whatever enemy and jump off a cliff, then dewarg before the enemy hits the bottom. If Wyllis was a normal person in the past, and Brandon cannot warg into a normal person or use warg powers in a vision, then that explanation makes no sense at all.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Well, all bets are off, but it could also make other weird stuff in the story get an explanation later on, like Bran is the Lord of Light (whispering to people he chooses to) or Bran made the mad king go mad or something equally nuts. Who knows. I wish there was only one season left like originally planned since they've been killing off/grouping up characters at an increased rate since the end of last season. I want the final answers, dammit!

Apparently the current plan is only 13 episodes after this season, but unfortunately given the scope it's probably going to end up some excruciating wait like 7 one year and 6 the next. I guess we get what we ask for, though. I'd rather have it done right instead of having rushed TV production values like occasionally happen.

3. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

Wyllis' eyes do indeed roll back. I didn't fully understand it either but I watched an explanation from Alt Shift X yesterday and then I understood that Bran, while in the past, warged into Wyllis and jumped through time to warg Hodor and that was what caused Wyllis' brain to basically fracture.

Man I can't wait for tonight. Last night I had GoT dreams mainly relating to Tyrion and Arya and although they obviously won't happen it just made me pumped for the show :lol:

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Weirwoods = wormhole aliens, Game of Thrones and Star Trek being in the same universe confirmed.

5. UnattendedGolfcart

I enjoyed tonight's episode a lot, some really great developments.

I liked the Benjen reveal and the Bran line for this episode. I'm really glad Bran has another ally now, especially one that can work with the Night's Watch. The return of Walder Frey should prove interesting. The Faith vs Jaime was crazy though, I didn't know what to expect. It's interesting to see how Jaime and Cersei are so consumed in their "Lannisters are the best, we're the best" mentality that they're almost forgetting that their son Tommen is also a Lannister. They seem to care more about personal power than Lannister power...also the Sam plot line was great. I really can't wait to see what comes of this. Arya was my fav though, got so existential, and now she's on the run from the Faceless Men, can't wait to see this play out!

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I thought tonight's episode was a little bit boring after the awesome opening, mainly cause we got all that junk with Sam and Gilly. I don't hate the characters, but it seems like such a waste of time whenever we see them. I feel like the last time they did anything I cared about was way back in season 3 when Sam found the dragonglass and owned the white walker. I liked that we saw that Sam's sister and mother (and even brother) all seemed to care about him, but at the same time it seems like it was all just kind of light character shading without any real progression to the plot. Well, nevermind, he did get that sword.

I'm glad they blew up the Arya storyline, I was worried this would drag on for a couple more episodes. I don't feel like she actually gained any "powers" from this whole detour, though, so I'm not sure what we're going to expect here. She sure hasn't been switching faces or learning any combat skills other than how to get hit with a stick a whole lot and occasionally dodge while blind. I liked when she laughed at Joffrey dying, but liked more when she seemed to empathize with Cersei, though that may have simply been her thinking that actress was good.

I'm not sure what to think about the Lannister stuff. Given the previous seasons, I assume Margary is up to something since she's been proven to be one of the smartest and most manipulative characters several times over. However, she's been SO wasted this season that I'm not entirely convinced she didn't legitimately turn into a boring religious wacko. Nothing to do but wait and see, I guess.

Bran stuff was good. Danaerys stuff was tedious as usual. How many episodes now have ended with an army of brown people worshipping her Aryan ideal after she delivers some ponderous dialogue in a made-up language? 5? More? Argh! The racism merely makes me giggle, but somehow the character manages to be incredibly boring even when riding on a frickin dragon. The last time I really liked her was that episode where she had the unsullied kill all the masters, it's just been diminishing returns since then. Despite the incredible casting on all middle-aged or older characters on this show, and even on the children, it's odd they have their two conspicuously weakest actors in what may be the two most important roles - Jon Snow and her!!!

7. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I didn't know there were only 13 left after this year. I'm guessing they will start doing the "this episode is 60 minutes, but this one one is 90!" tactic that many other shows use.

Last night felt like a little bit of an "in between" episode. I have a hard time believing that Daenerys gets to Westeros before the end of this season.

If there isn't "the undead" vs Daenerys huge army and dragons at some point I will be disappointed.

8. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I still can't get how human's mind work.
    Everyone realizes that this show is crap, but still watching it, me included.
    And it's not only here, but wherever I go, from anime to movies, to videogames, to music forums, everyone throws crap at this series but no one drops it, it's incredible.
    And...throwing crap at the series is not a fad, it's just because it has become objectively bad.
    For me, non book reader, it was quite fine until season 4; season 5 was TERRIBAD.
    Season 6 has not been as bad as se05 but it's yawn festival anyway.

9. extendedsolo

Are you aware of the meaning of objective?

10. UnattendedGolfcart

This might be the funniest and most simple minded comment I've seen about this show.

"It's crap, objectively" hilarious.

11. extendedsolo

it's like he's made a super concentrated post from the entirety of the internet. "everything sucks because of some stuff I've read at arbitrary places."

12. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

As a book reader, I have to agree a bit. There is so much stuff in both books and series that seems to be going absolutly nowhere for ages.
    To me, the latest episode had the first interesting bit with Arya in it since she left The Hound. Everything in between was just pointless walking around, getting hit with a stick, scrubbing the floor, getting hit with the stick, washing the dead, getting hit with a stick while blind... hopefully she stays Arya, "no one" was a waste of time.
    Daenaerys? Another army ex machina for absolutly no reason, and now she needs "a thousand ships". What a stunning coincidence that on the other end of the world someone just decided to build a thousand ships (without trees or men to man even half of them), sail to Daenaerys and bring her to Westeros. So we'll probably see a ton of Mereen before Euron arrives, gets beaten by Daenaerys and then killed by Theon while trying to flee. Tyron is probably having a nice barbecue and plays drinking games with the two remaining dragons.
    And while i'm speculating: Most of northern Westeros lies in ruins, all the armys suffered heavy losses, the Dornish are probably preparing to march north while King Sparrow sends Jaime north, Walder Frey gets defeated at Riverrun as Jaime decides to defect and support the Blackfish. Sansa decides to lay siege on Winterfell and just starve Ramsay to death. Dorne attacks Kings Landing, Tommen dies on the battlefield, Tyrell forces drive them back, Tommen is now seen as a saint and martyr, Margaery rules, while Cersei, shocked by her brothers decision, throws herself from the highest tower of the Red Keep. Bran goes back in time and wargs Daenaerys and the Night King, rules the world forever after through them. :scratch:

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I thought it was ok. Probably my least favorite of the season.

The gilly and Sam stuff is the biggest flaw. Their story just has no momentum and I have no interest.

Everything else was ok. Thev dragon scene seemed a little tacked on.

On one hand I liked how they slowly reveal the faceless men to really not be the honorable organization arya thought but now she has been on another roundabout going nowhere for another 2 seasons n

Good to see walder again.

14. OmegaSlayer

Objectively is bad.
    Tell me what is good in this show about:
    - Character Development
    - Story Development
    - If you have watched some other TV series you realize that even direction and photography is not as good as many other show with way less budget (and I mean from battle scene on "hugs scale" to 1vs1 that are BADLY coreographed
    - Shock factor is unexistent, as so many characters have been killed just 'cause, and when the watcher doesn't develope a minimal tie with characters, the death is useless
    - Plot holes everywhere
    - Overall Acting (except a couple of individuals, namely Lena Hadey, Victor Pryce and Peter Dinklage)

So, you two scientists (UnattendedGolfcart and extendedsolo) explain what is good in this show and why it is worth watching every day

15. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

Liam Cunningham (Davos) is a huge actor, I like a lot also Conleth Hill (Varys)

16. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Everyone I know thinks the show is great. Sure there are a few weak spots at points but literally every show has them. Clearly this show just isn't for you so why do you even care? More importantly why are you upset that people like something you don't?

17. extendedsolo

No. You are the one making the claim, therefore, you must provide the evidence. It would be like walking into a debate and saying "show me how I'm wrong the proof is there if you look at it."Your examples and "proof" are still very weak. Don't pull this BS where the proof is where you say "just look at it/watch the show it's there! If you don't get it I can't explain it to you" That's such a lazy argument and just shows you are justifying your dislike of the show in any way possible. IT'S COMPLETELY FINE TO NOT LIKE THE SHOW MAN! Seriously, post content with actual critiques and examples from the show or just accept that this show isn't for you and move on. I used to watch The Walking Dead, but stopped because I realized it wasn't for me. I don't hang out on the internet saying how bad it sucks now though either.

Yeah, so much positive feedback about this show from quite a few corners of the internet. Yeah, even they will agree it's not perfect but they still like it. They also probably don't get off on being a contrarian on a high horse.

18. OmegaSlayer

Yes, those are indeed good but just side characters.

- Dorne plot is a joke...Mircella died, funeral...no consequences planned, no pain, nothing
    - Daenerys sets fire to stones...WOW
    - Jon Snow raises from the dead, says he leave the Watch, then he keeps his title to hang the betrayers, then leaves...hypocrite much
    - Deus Ex Machina everywhere to justify weak plots...prostitutes to solve the slavers problem
    - 80% of what happens never has a development build-up, like the Rickon Stark stuff, so it always seems an a**pull and soooo random
    And that's just the first things that comes to my mind from the past couple of episodes

Yeah, if you dig only between people who likes it, it has positive reception.
    Most of the people that stopped to watch it don't even enter a discussion about it.
    Do you write into the "The Walking Dead" thread to discuss it since you stopped watching it?

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

@OmegaSlayer: The acting is great, overall, on the series. The script is the problem. As far as the show being good or bad, it's a personal preference above all. A lot may have to do with changes over time. Season one was great, featuring a fantastic script which was true to the first book, which was the best book, IMO, also featuring Sean Bean. Everything since then has been less faithful to the books, which also haven't been as good since the first book, IMO, and the whole thing went from each episode telling a nice story as part of a grander epic story for the entire season, to plot development seeming more like a chore in several side plots, and the characters being scattered over the world with far less interaction between them. So is the show awful, no, not according to critical acclaim, and not according to viewer ratings. But I agree that it is not as good as it set out to be with the first season.

@This weekend's episode: I was a lot less moved than last week. I wanted more Coldhands and less Sam. The Kings Landing scene was the textbook definition of anticlimactic. The Walder Frey scene could have been much more entertaining. Whereas last week's episode seemed like a whole lot was going on, this week seemed like Coldhands and then nothing else really happened.

20. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

You're the first person I've heard who says the first book is the best. Storm of Swords was way better, IMO.