Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Season 1 - A Game of Thrones
    Season 2 - A Clash of Kings
    Season 3 - A Storm of Swords (First half)
    Season 4 - A Storm of Swords (Second half)
    Season 5 - A Feast for Crows AND A Dance of Dragons
    Season 6 - The Winds of Winter (not yet released)

Mostly. After the first two seasons, the "Season to Book conversion" gets pretty sloppy. Lots of plot points bleed over from season to season or are radically shuffled around / omitted / changed / etc. Essentially, once you get into AFFC/ADWD, it's pretty much impossible to read the book then watch the events that happened in that book.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Season 5 has some material that hasn't happened in the books yet. Season 4 had some stuff from the later books, as well (particularly Reek stuff). If this guy is trying to avoid BOOK spoilers then he shouldn't even watch season 4 until he's finished all 5 books. :p But yeah, by and large this post is accurate. I started reading book 3 after the 9th episode of season 3 aired, and I started at the point in the book where the episode had left off, and wasn't lost at all.

3. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

^ just to clarify, I had watched everything up to date before I started even thinking about reading the books.

4. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

It's also worth noting that A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons are concurrent novels: they both take place over roughly the same time period but each focuses on a different geographical part of the world. The two books line up again towards the end of ADWD. That's why they were combined for season 5 - so you didn't go an entire season without seeing half of the characters. This is due to the fact that Martin wrote way too much material for the fourth planned book and it had to be split into two books - AFFC and ADWD.

A lot of people aren't fans of the geographical split, but it is what it is. I actually would recommend reading through them twice - once in the order of release, and then a second time with them combined like this. I wasn't much of a fan of them the first time I read them, but after reading the combined version, I absolutely love them.

Anyway, enjoy your read through. The books really are special, especially on re-reads (if you've got the time). Martin is just an effing genius.

5. djyngwie

djyngwie SS.org Regular

Speaking of the books: I just finished reading through ADWD. The books are a lot more deep and interesting than the show (I still love the show). After reading the books, I've been checking out some theories. In particular this guy called Preston Jacobs has some intriguing (and tin-foily) theory videos worth a look, IMO.

In short, I'm now very much looking forward to both season 6 and The Winds of Winter ...

6. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i just caught up to the ending of season 5. all i gotta say is WHY?!

some things i liked or didn't understand

FINALLY deneris is out of mereen! that town was really pissing me off as they spent over 2 seasons there with very little development over the bigger picture (ie westoros). though i dont really get, and this is where tyrion was getting at, is why must one rule over westoros and not the eastern continent. what inherently makes westoros more valuable aside from the iron throne, and aside from 'legacy of the fore fathers'. but maybe thats me as i'm not sentimental and dont care much for traditions...regardless, i am curious to see if the dothraki's will once again be sided with deneris or not.

the other thing i didn't like was that end of season 4, they show bran with what seemed like the spirit world. i was expecting to see him at ANY point of the season. not one glimpse of him. sure, they mentioned him twice....but thats about it. i was almost missing hodor.

and i'm bad with names, so dont know her name, but the red witch who gave birth to that weird shadow...i'm guessing she'll bring jon snow back from the dead? they mentioned in the past seasons that there are people with power that can bring people back to life and use fire. now if they bring em back, i wonder if they will be like the mountain, or completely different creatures, or be back like they once were.

and maybe its just me...but westoros as a whole is looking a lot like pissy little people bickering over who gets the last cookie. all their squabbles seem so petty and not necessary...but again, maybe thats just me as i go by the 'live and let live' motto.

but seriously...WTF!? why jon snow!? :(

7. wankerness

Based on the resurrection done by "the lord of light" previously on the show (whatshisname the leader of that group of bandits who fought the Hound with the fire sword), he could be the same just with nasty scars. Zombie mountain was done by the creepy magister guy and I presume that was similar magic to making the zombie Khal Drogo back in season 1, both of which seemed to be different and involve the soul being gone. Khal Drogo obviously turned out terribly, but the witch seemed to be intentionally trying to screw it up cause she hated Daenerys. Zombie mountain seems to be an improvement over what he was previously, but still a zombie. I do vaguely remember some dialogue between Melisandre and the bandits where she expressed disbelief and said she never had anywhere near the ability to resurrect anyone, though, so maybe we'd get messed up zombie jon. I'd laugh in the 1% chance he just didn't get resurrected at all, though. Book people would RIOT. All those years of theorizing for nothing!

Not sure why you used a huge wall of spoilers on something that aired months ago, no one is going to read this thread without having caught up, and if they do they deserve it!

8. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i just used spoilers to be on the safe side. i'm enjoying that people who are watching/reading game of thrones aren't spoiling things for others who are behind. its something i haven't seen in other shows. even shows like dexter, where if not the fans watching it, it was the actual official facebook page was spoiling things for people who were maybe 1 or 2 episodes behind. for example, in season 4 ending, the facebook thing said something like 'so what is the difference between miguel and rita? nothing. they both are dead'. for people who are on the second or third last episode...not cool.

and at the same time, its irritating for those who want to binge watch the show but people spoil it.

9. wankerness

Season 6 marketing has been released, and guess who the face of it is!! :/

[​IMG]

10. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

11. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Man, I was really hoping Winds of Winter would come out a week before the season started, but it's really getting to be pinch time for something like that to happen. Outlook not so good.

12. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

What happened to the one kid the girl a the big guy? Seems to be the only male of the family left and he vanished from the show.

13. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Also the many face god girl can go, every scene with her sucked last season and dragged on to long.

14. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I began reading the books 3 months ago, and having made it to "a storm of swords, 2: blood and gold" I feel like the books are much better than the series (I guess that is kinda always the case), so I think I will not watch the new series until I have read the corresponding book, as it would be nice to read a book without knowing what is going to happen before hand :)

15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

They three first ones were.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

With George's track record and how slow he works we would be lucky to get the book by the earliest 2017-2018, then another 5-6 years for A dream of Spring. The show is going to finish way before him, even though they're telling their own dumbed down story thats gearing towards some very different outcomes there will still be a huge backlash from "book" fans which will only discourage George even more. Right now the future of the series is up in the air and has been for many years, he started panicking last year and cancelled most of his trips/plans to concentrate on TWOW but it wasn't enough time to get it out before next season.

17. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

FTFY

18. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Don't agree, I enjoyed a lot the first books, but the last one was a nightmare to read. Story opening more and more, new unnecessary characters and plots, fewer and fewer exciting moments... I got sick of it. The series is a more down to Earth project, more cohesive and storylike for me.

19. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

LOL .... no. Books 4 and 5 are two of the slowest, most poorly written books I've read in my whole life, and I've read a few hundred including some eBook only self published specials

20. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Slow: yes.
    Travel-log-y: yes.
    Poor: no.

FFC/DWD is a tough slog the first time through because it's a complete departure from the first three and is more of a set-up than a continuation. Personally, I think they are a much better read the second time, much better to read together chronologically, and will look a lot better when WOW/DOS get here.

Dany's story line in particular gets a lot of flak from readers, but once you realize the themes of her story (a struggle between Dany's "Mother of Dragons" and "Mhysa" personas which are directly thematically tied to what her dragons are experiencing) and what it means for her role in the coming books, it's probably the most important story of the entire series so far. Read these if you don't believe me: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4.

Anyway, I happen to think FFC/DWD are not poor in the slightest, in fact I'd say they are incredibly good. The one damning thing I can say about them is that they are two geographically separated books instead of one giant ass book.