Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Just finished watching the latest episode. These two last ones have been great, can't wait for the next one!

Also here is hoping that the Melisandre bitch will burn at some point!

2. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

Kind of dissapointed with how they handle Arya's storyline.

Already calling it:
    Jaqen H'ghar will scold her for killing that guy in the pleasurehouse (I don't remember his name to be honest) and take away her sight. Then she will get it back along with her first face in order to kill him with the coin switcheroo method.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

No way, she's awesome. I hope she is the new ruler of Westeros, along with the foreign Melisandre they showed on that earlier episode (played by that crazy looking chick from The Wolverine). :hbang:

The Dorne stuff was terrible as usual, it seemed like this episode totally negated the point of that entire plotline if that conversation between whatshername longneck lady and Jaime was to be believed.

I didn't like the ending, it was way too obvious what was going to happen from almost the start of that attack (you knew they weren't going to kill all those characters off by the time they got surrounded, so very little tension) and the ambition certainly outstepped the budget, unlike last week's CGI which looked great. I guess it looked better than a SYFY pictures original at least.

4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

That was the worst episode this season. Awful dialogue and full of plot holes. Not to mention completely butchering Stannis's character/book storyline for shock value. Such a shame after how good Hardhome was.

I think I'll stop watching after this season and hope the book comes out soon because they are twisting new plots up to much now.

5. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

Amazing what sequencing can do. Imagine had the scenes been switched: Dany performs her Neverending Story reenactment and then we cut to Cooking with Stannis.

6. michblanch

michblanch SS.org Regular

The Sandsnakes died pretty quick last night after a buildup all season.
    A complete waste of time and was nothing but filler.
    The only good thing out of that horrid storyline was the .... on the Sandsnake with shorthair during the jail cell scene.

Wonder who gets killed off during the finale?
    I have an idea but won't say.

HBO has a great Sunday lineup. GOT , Silicon Valley, Veep Last Week.

7. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

GRRM told the writers of the show she was getting burned in the books too, sooooo ....

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

9. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

10. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

I'm so glad i haven't read the books, that's one thing i can't be mad about at least.

Damn Stan, y u gotta do this man :(

11. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

This is the second time today I've read someone referring to her being blinded as a punishment. This annoys me to no end.

Arya getting blinded is NOT a punishment. It is a REWARD.

Before Arya killed Daeron, the Kindly Man was not considering her to be a Faceless Man. She was just another servant in the House of Black and White, like the waif. When she killed Daeron and told the Kindly Man that it wasn't she who did it, but Arya Stark, she showed a disassociation from her identity that she had up to that point not shown. This disassociation of her identity was a vital pre-requisite to becoming a Faceless Man. Once she demonstrated this ability, her real training began. And the first part of her real training was being blinded to hone her other senses.

So when Arya kills Meryn Trant and tell Jaqen H'ghar it wasn't she who killed him, but Arya Stark, Jaqen will reward her with the first part of her real training - which involves her going blind.

12. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Thought it was pretty good. Dorne was terrible as usual. Drogon was a little predictable but cool.

13. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Except for the fact that GRRM told D&D to have Stannis kill Shireen...

EDIT: I'm late to the show.

14. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

How does it not make sense?

Stannis killed his brother with black magic to get what he wanted.
    Stannis burned his wife's uncle at the stake to get what he wanted.
    Stannis leeched his bastard nephew to get what he wanted.

Stannis is relentless in his what he is willing to sacrifice to put himself on the Iron Throne - he has been from day 1. Why is it just now crossing the line when he's already shown time and time again that killing/using his own family members is a means than justifies the ends?

This is Stannis' modus operandi to a 'T'. Fits perfectly in both book and series plots.

The only reason it rubs people so wrongly is because unlike Renly (who we barely knew), Alester Florent (who was merely mentioned in an appendix) and Gendry / Edric Storm (who escaped with the help of Davos before any lasting damage could be done) is that we were endeared to Shireen for four seasons/books.

Stannis sacrificing Shireen is brutal, but entirely unexpected. I would argue that this has been telegraphed since the first time Melissandre spoke of the power of Kings' blood.

15. wankerness

Gimme a break, there's foreshadowing on him toasting her all the way back in season 2 and it really stepped up as the seasons progressed. Melisandre was saying stuff about how he'd betray his family years ago. He's always been a nut that burned innocent people (if you'll recall, he was going to toast Gendry until Davos rescued him) to appease his God or spawned shadow babies to kill his brother or chopped his buddy's fingers off for stealing, everyone just forgot about all that since he seemed more appealing than the alternative kings presented and made funny grammar comments. I had no problem with the scene whatsoever. It was really disturbing, mission accomplished! It did exactly what it was supposed to and was completely consistent with the setup for the character. He most definitely didn't look happy about it when he did it, either. He believes he saved all his men, who were starving and freezing over the last few episodes and then had all their stuff destroyed by Ramsay at the beginning of the episode. He's always been about brutal pragmatism to go along with his worship of "the lord of light," I reallllly don't get the crying from fans saying "his character is ruined!!!" I think it's just people who were offended by how nasty the scene was (even though it was all off-screen) and are retroactively attempting to justify it.

16. wankerness

There wasn't this much crying over the Red Wedding even though a pregnant lady got stabbed in the belly repeatedly in loving detail. The outrage-o-sphere has really stepped it up in the last couple years. I guess it's helped by now they have the flimsy excuse of "well it's more offensive now because it wasn't in books already."

In summary,

[​IMG]

17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I agree with this. plus add in the fact that his army was trapped and couldn't go forwards or backwards, and could only starve or freeze to death and it pushed him over the edge

18. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I think he said he would burn a girl to save millions if he had to. He meant it, but hoped it wouldn't be his own daughter. And I don't know if they ever mentioned the story of the first Azor Allai in the show, but he murdered his own wife to get Lightbringer. So there is a precedent for Rhollor to ask for awful things of his chosen ones

19. djyngwie

djyngwie SS.org Regular

Overall it was. But I do like Doran Martell quite a bit.

20. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

The reason I think that Stannis killing his daughter is so incredible is because it sets up two contrasting viewpoints of Stannis that both can be simultaneously felt.

On one hand, Stannis seems to have gone over the edge, mentally and emotionally. When I was watching that burning scene I couldn't help but look at how horribly drained they made Stannis look. He's so haggard and at least on some level hates himself. It makes you hate Stannis and want to see him suffer.

However, it doesn't make you want to truly see him fail. Because if he fails, if he falls in battle with Roose or just abandons his quest for the throne, then everything, including the sacrificing of his daughter, will have been for nothing. I would personally rather see him march all the way to King's Landing and fulfill his journey than watch him fail at this point.

I thought this past episode was great with Stannis and I really like him as a character because his flaws are so apparent. I don't know why everyone is flipping out over him sacrificing his daughter, it's crazy but it so easily fits his character.

Also Team Dany.