Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Just watched the final episode. In all honesty, it wasn't a good episode by any means, but it was definitely perhaps the most consistent episode of Season 8. Not much happened, the episode is entirely dialogue based, and it moved quickly and it felt short (at least, to me, personally). The viewer is still left with a lot of holes and loose ends that were obviously outright dumped for the sake of time and laziness, but D&D did use a pretty, little bow to tie up what they could, and every named character who remains is given a happy ending (which seems very unlike something that GRRM would do). Fuck happy endings.

With that said, as an ending to the eight season series, this episode was a fucking boring, horrible, shitty ending on all accounts. So, fuck this ending. What a load of shit.

Issues with the episode:
    - Did a single civilian survive at King's Landing? Clearly not...

- We never see that "symbolic" white horse again. Arya immediately ditched the horse after she rode out on it at the end of the previous episode.

- Grey Worm somehow magically teleports to the top of the stairs ahead of Jon. Grey Worm also later teleports onto a ship ahead of Jon. Seems like Grey Worm has mastered Goku's ability of instant transmission from Dragon Ball Z. Arya uses the same ability to teleport behind Jon at the top of the stairs.

- How did Daenerys even know that Tyrion freed Jaime? She never once saw Jaime, and no one seemed concerned about his disappearance the day of the battle.

- Daenerys, this ultimate character built up over eight seasons, is simple offed by a single knife stab and dies within like ten seconds. I'm sorry, but she deserved to go out with more of a bang after all these years of character development, especially since we just observed Jaime taking multiple stab wounds and being fine enough to still climb into King's Landing in the previous episode.

- Drogon melts the Iron Throne. What the fuck. Like, you're going to tell me that a dragon, who is said in the series to be as sentient and intelligent as a dog, randomly decided to say "fuck this chair" and melt it? Fuck off with that.

- It seems like all of the lords and ladies present at the meeting (and the showrunners) forgot that Gendry had a solid fucking claim to be king. In fact, Gendry had more of a claim that Daenerys ever did.

- Jon is sentenced back to the Night's Watch...wait...there is still a Night's Watch? Is there even a need for a Night's Watch since the wall got annihilated and there is now peace with the Wildlings?

- Why are the Unsullied heading to Naath of all places? And what will they do there? Since there are all castrated men, I doubt they will procreate or do anything of that nature that typically comes with colonization.

- Why does Arya suddenly want to go West of Westeros? Now she is like fucking Captain Jack Sparrow wanting to sail off into the sunset or into uncharted territory for adventure? Where the fuck did that even come from? We as the viewers are left with nothing here.

- So, Bronn got Highgarden as promised, and he became the Master of Coin because apparently Highgarden is still a wealthy castle despite the Tyrell family being wiped out and no one living there. (Ok...) Seems like Bronn ultimately played the Game of Thrones the right way because he got a position on the council despite betraying so many including Tyrion and despite threatening to kill Tyrion. Bravo to Bronn then.

- For all of the fans who were upset about Jon not petting Ghost before telling Tormund to take the direwolf north of the wall, they can now shut the fuck up because Jon and Ghost are reunited. And you know what happened? THEY GOT THEIR LAST-MINUTE FAN SERVICE. JON PETTED GHOST LIKE THE GOOD DOG THAT GHOST IS.

- The ending to Jon's character arc felt incredibly lukewarm and mediocre. I mean, the last shot is just him leading the Wildlings out of the tunnel in the wall to venture further north. But for what exactly?

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    The906 likes this.
  2. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Snow or ash? It was all gone next day.

Those guys that went to the island....uhh....I guess to die off eventually?

1962 George Harrison is the new king.

Good for Jon.

I assume Drocon will be bouncing strip clubs or getting his real estate license now.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I liked the last episode, against most opinions from friends, but I can’t deny this one totally sucked. That was one limpid finale. It made the Lost one look good.

4. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Watch the episode and spot the water bottles that were left in shots that made it into the final edit.

Meanwhile, IdeasOfIceAndFire has already posted his review of the final episode on YouTube.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  5. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

So, I didn't love the episode but I didn't hate it either:

What I did like about the episode was obviously Daenerys dying, because it needed to happen. How it happened, and how Drogon didn't immediately kill Jon for doing so, I have NO idea, so that felt a little out of sorts for me. I will say that this was one of those moments that evoked some emotion from me because I did feel bad for Drogon. He and his brothers were essentially used as pawns to do Daenerys bidding all this time and essentially acts as an animal should other than melting the throne. I'm still trying to understand that as well. That said, he lost the one that cared about him and the one he essentially looked to as a parent so immediately, I think of a dog that loses its master and well... there's the sadness. Yes, I know it's CGI. Yes, I know this is fantasy... Yes I know it's irrational to feel this way about that.

Bran becoming King... not sure I agree, especially since again, technically Gendry has a stronger claim. Maybe he wanted it, maybe he didn't, clearly he didn't care because he didn't speak up. Tyrion becoming Hand, almost not unexpected, but I don't have a gripe with it.

Overall, Sansa becoming Queen in the North was a nice touch. Girl has matured quite a bit, has been through hell and she seems to have a decent head on her shoulders. Arya becoming a sailor... the more and more I think about it, the more I realize it's not so unnatural for her to be in the shoes of a sailor. She's spent most of the series journeying to new places, seeing new faces, and so she's an adventurer at heart anyways. I'm fine with it.

Jon leading the wildlings back home? A nice touch, especially since he's with people that respect him and now he can lead them back home without worries of what's in the night. I am a little confused about the purpose of a Night's Watch now, being that the wildlings and everyone have essentially made peace. The only thing I can possibly see happening that would need a Night's Watch is someone coming back for revenge on Jon, but... I don't know. Lots of people were pissed at what Jon did, including two leaders of different armies so I guess it's possible, but again I don't know. All in all, not my favorite episode, but I didn't hate it. There were some good moments here.

6. wankerness

Sansa’s great. F Bran. Someone finally alerted me to r/freefolk last night; I thought one of their top posts “when you don’t do any work but still get an a on the group project” with a picture of him about summed it up.
    Not just that, but the spectacular pointlessness of everything related to the three-eyed raven and worging in this last season! Or how he apparently let everyone in king’s Landing die for this? Jeez.

I guess it was MAYBE less boring than if Jon had become king, but it was still a lot worse.

Dany’s fate was as boring as it possibly could have been. Ugh.

7. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Arya's fate is perfect for a spin-off series or even some other books.

8. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

I believe that was a great ending with a great lesson.

Charismatic leaders that are convinced of their moral superiority are the most dangerous ones.

Daenerys did not change. She did not go crazy. This was actually telegraphed in previous seasons.

zappatton2 likes this.
  9. wankerness

The last thing we need is more stuff to distract GRR Martin!

Also, she's not a particularly interesting character, especially when you take her away from the good characters that were on the show. Just look at her "arc" in seasons 5-6!

10. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

The show ended exactly as it should've ended.
    They could not please everybody that whatched the series, but I am by no means unhappy by the finale.
    Sure season 8 was rushed, but I really liked the way it evolved, and I wasn't expecting any less considering how Ep 5 went.

If you want to see a series finale that sucked, go watch Dexter.

chopeth, PunkBillCarson and narad like this.
  11. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Or Two and a Half Men

TheTrooper likes this.
  12. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I was perfectly fine with the finale. The real joy though is watching people's heads explode in nerd rage, which truly ranks among my favorite spectator sports at this point. It really goes to show that, no matter how "adult" fantasy and comic franchises become in the mainstream, nothing in these fandoms ever really changes; it's still made up by a large portion of whiny, entitled children who are just constitutionally incapable of dealing with the fact that their favorite show/movie/game franchise didn't meet their astronomical expectations. The only way they know to process disappointment is to hategasm on everything and everyone, with maximum petulance.

I remember thinking that it was a good thing that mainstream media was finally catering to fantasy and comic fans. After spending the past few years watching fans of the genres get furiously butthurt at every perceived slight and spray their bile all across the internet, I kinda wish it had never happened, because these children clearly aren't ready to act with civility.

13. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Now that's a finale so bad it basically retroactively ruined the show for me.

zappatton2 and TheTrooper like this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Now I know the title for the spinoff show:

Weekend at Dany's - a zany dragon gets invited to his queen's beach house at dragonstone, but come to find out, she's no longer with the living!
    Or maybe
    Arya Gonna Go My Way?

Ya know, I was fine with the ending. Seriously, I don't think there was a single finale that would have made everyone happy. Hell, the show even was selfaware of that, according to Tyrion. I guess people were expecting something profound. I don't know how anyone expected it to end, but if it went full status quo, fans would have hated it. If it went totally upside down, fans would have hated it.

Regarding Arya, in the books she was basically the most consistent main character. I don't know why everyone is acting like she didn't deserve to be a part of season 8.

Meh, whatever. Your mileage evidently will vary.

The906 likes this.
  15. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

I think Jon should have ridden off on the dragon and when he looks down back at the cast, sees "good bye" spelt out in dragon stones across the ground.

narad likes this.
  16. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

Oh man, all this time I thought it was “Game of Onions.”

17. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

I actually liked that finale!
    I mean, having Charlie back would've been amazing, but the all "breaking the fourth wall" thing and the self irony about the show was pretty crazy

18. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

No nerd rage here, have never been more than a casual fan. I’m sure you guys are right, they knew they couldn’t make everybody happy. To me, it felt like a lazy, phoned in wrote off.

They were offered two 10 episode seasons. They chose the abbreviated versions. Unless they were sick of it and wanted to move on, why else would you do that?

The906 likes this.
  19. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I thought the death scene could have been a lot more powerful, but that aside I thought the finale was great. Not really sure what more could have been wanted from it, personally. Would have enjoyed the previous episodes to have been spread out across at least a couple more, though.

20. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular