Fun nooby songs/licks?

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
So I just inherited a bass and I'm having some fun noodling around on it but I rly don't know any bass stuff.

So far I've learned schism(tool), hyper music and hysteria(muse) which are lots of fun.

Anyone know any other simple songs / licks that a guitarist can wrap his head around that are fun? I'm also really interested in learning slap (I've been trying to learn some slowly on my guitar) so anything that would get me in that direction as well would be awesome.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Tool is definitely the right direction.

Some Rage Against The Machine stuff, very simple, yet very effective. Play with extreme authority!

Cake is another great band full of fun bass grooves:

You also can't go wrong with the classic funk masters:

(lots of Earth Wind and Fire)

I'm usually hesitant to present Primus for beginners, but this track has plenty of guitar-like fills to keep the fun factor high.

As for slap bass, a very good start would be this:

Very simple and both highly effective and memorable.

Sly And The Family Stone have very simple slap bass grooves too.

Bass is such a fun instrument. :hbang:

Murmel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Muse is pretty fun to play, and not overly complicated either.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
So far I've learned schism(tool), hyper music and hysteria(muse) which are lots of fun.

:ugh:

Wow I actually got way more suggestions than I usually see for guitar related stuff xD

Learning seinfeld now, holy shit this is the funnest thing since fun was invented! More like this!

Also, do any of you guys have nails and if so how do you get around them? I've been growing / grooming the nails on my right hand as I was learning classical guitar this last semester and picking up this bass they seem to get in the way a lot. My pointers nail grows so thin I keep it pretty short still so I can use that without much issue but the other 3 fingers notsomuch.

How would you get around that?

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Been playing lots of classical myself. I tend not to grow my nails too long (unless I get lazy or too busy to remember) for classical. Some of the length of nails of the guys I've seen, I don't think I'd be able to do, for both personal preference and necessity. My nails are usually only 1/2 a mm or even less over my fingertips so I can play both bass and finger style guitar. That and they don't get in the way when I start tapping.

Though admittedly I play bass predominatly with a pick, and it did take a bit of time to get my classical tone right, so IMO it's all personal preferences.

EDIT: Whether it helps the playing or not, I actually play my bass as low as Dee Dee Ramone... :ugh:

Nublet

Sevenstring wannabe
Reaction score
Don't know how "nooby" you are so I'm gonna post some of my faves that got me into playing bass.

There's lots more from both artists plus a lot of funk songs that, even if they aren't your cup of tea when picking what to listen to, rocks your socks on bass.

Regarding slapping, just practice this :D