Fun LoZ8 Pickup Experiment

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by studmiester7, Mar 24, 2020.

1. studmiester7

studmiester7 Official Logo

I have done 2x experiments with these stock RGA8 pickups (Ibanez LoZ8).

1. I attempted to replace the 2x-AA battery system with a single 9v. Verdict: Sounded AMAZING...but way too hot for the circuit; reverted back

2. I added 2-more AA batteries for a total of 6Vs. Verdict: sounded so much better still! No ringing from the circuit this time. Gave my to wife as experimental success.....*POP* battery just exploded! Reverted back to 2x-AA system

Final verdict after reverting back a second time: Something is different. Original batteries & circuit are A-OK but my tone is different. Almost like that extra 1v (circuit is 5v) "blew something out", like a microscopic imperfection. These pickups give almost a passive Dimarzio Ionizer-like sound. Suuuuper weird but will totally take the anomaly.

Here is a short little clip of the 4x-AA battery mod right before the off-camera explosion (happened as soon as she cut the camera! lmfao)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-InyOwJ50A/

2. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop

Would be cool to show the before/after comparison, because it's hard to tell this way, and even harder through the camera microphone. We could use some recorded clips !

studmiester7 likes this.
  3. studmiester7

I will be updating the playlist as I continue to experiment. I wish I had recorded the clips at 6v and 9v through my DAW, though.

https://soundcloud.com/travis-royer-586026454/sets/rga8-lz8-pickups-shoot-out

4. studmiester7

Next experiment is running them at 4.5V