Fun little 6'er

DistinguishedPapyrus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely not my first build, but my first build in several years. Took my time with this one but not over thinking it too much. Just a fun little 6 string. The body shape is my own design, but the headstock is kinda inspired by Blackmachine. I love that skinny little headstock design, but I tweaked it a little to compliment the body shape more and not be so aggressive and pointy at the tip.

6 strings, 25" scale
Walnut top and headstock cap, just a nicely figured piece I managed to score
roasted maple FB
black cherry body
figured maple neck and headstock
hipshot bridge and tuners
single coil neck, mini humbucker bridge, volume pot and a three way
22 jumbo stainless frets
binding matches the fretboard wood just to hide the tangs, black plastic side dots only.
set neck construction
two way truss rod
I'm also torn between doing standard tuning or B standard like BEADF#B...

I started this build a couple years ago but lots of stupid things got in the way in the last couple years as I'm sure many can relate, so I'm just now finishing it up. I don't have all the earliest pics but heres the later stages

52210620238_5b8129da5d_k.jpg

52211086770_b52ed0a2e8_k.jpg

The neck joint was cut out just like you would for a bolt on, but kinda snug and then I simply glued the neck in the pocket up then sculpted the heel for good thumb placement up high.

52293078406_4c58e31d4f_k.jpg

52293078371_9e98a03f14_k.jpg

52293078411_5fcf2a9410_k.jpg

Modded the humbucker a little for this project too, took off the cover and swapped out the gold mesh insert thing for a black one. I really dig the gold thing but just not for this build. Not the right color when everything else is black.
52292168107_f9a046cf63_k.jpg

Black and chrome hardware it is! After kicking it around in my head a while I decided to put the switch up top as shown below. I used to play a les paul all the time and it just kinda comes naturally to me to reach up high to hit the selector switch.
52292094517_dbf8c85a58_k.jpg

So the next few shots were all today, doing the final sanding and first few coats of Tru-Oil! Love seeing that grain pop out. I should be able to get this thing strung up in the next few days.

52293078441_eb791c54ab_k.jpg

52292095187_77a4521b31_k.jpg

This is after 2 coats, hanging up to dry.
52292092882_c66de53964_k.jpg

If you got up close on it and saw all the fine details it's got its little blemishes here and there. Some that most people may never even notice. I didn't think too deep into it, like I said it's my first build in a few years. Like riding a bicycle for the first time in a while you know more or less what you're doing but still a little shaky. But I just wanted to get from the start to the finish. This guitar has been sort of mentally therapeutic for me, digging myself out of a bad place. Should be able to string it up in a few days, cant wait to hear it. I've used humbuckers almost exclusively in all my past builds so did something different with this one, a single coil and a mini humbucker. Should be pretty smooth.

Last edited:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Love the shape on this, and that's a nice walnut top! Reminds me of some walnut furniture my dad got a while back that had some real nice figured portions. Not gonna lie, I've wanted to make a guitar out of those for a while :lol:

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

DistinguishedPapyrus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didnt really show the grain on the back of the neck that well, it's just as nice. A few shots of the finish being applied and the grain really pops out of the neck. I was surprised it looks that nice.
52294320514_c5777d222c_k.jpg

52293071857_4f9345c544_k.jpg

52294056376_871f653197_k.jpg

And it's strung up and playable!
52295922217_59e7b1ab24_k.jpg

I have since refined the nut, string height at the nut and bridge and the intonation. It plays pretty well, I still have to tweak a few things for sure but I can play it finally. I stayed up late last night to get everything assembled. I really like the sound of the single coil in the neck position, that may be used in my next few builds as well, but the mini humbucker is just alright. I dont hate it, it does what it does and dose it well enough. Theres a little problem in the humbucker though, it's shorting out somewhere, I have to rock it back and forth a little to get it to work because otherwise its silent and has no output 😤. I need to do a little more fret work too so I'll do the fret work and mess with the humbucker next time I take the strings off, probably in a few days.

Final assembled weight is 7.6 pounds.

Last edited:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I adore this!!!
It perfectly nails the aesthetic of being classy, mature, vintage looking but not all pickguards and huge CBS headstocks, and could make any kind of music.
Plus I've got a huge thing for offset Tele style guitars at the moment.
This, so much.
I can't attest to its playability (though I trust you, and it's cool to see you working on improving it!), but aesthetically and specs-wise, it hits the nail on the head big time.

It is friggin' gorgeous man. Great eye for design!

DistinguishedPapyrus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I adore this!!!
It perfectly nails the aesthetic of being classy, mature, vintage looking but not all pickguards and huge CBS headstocks, and could make any kind of music.
Plus I've got a huge thing for offset Tele style guitars at the moment.
Thanks so much, I kinda was going for that feel overall, it sort of came together.

DistinguishedPapyrus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This, so much.
I can't attest to its playability (though I trust you, and it's cool to see you working on improving it!), but aesthetically and specs-wise, it hits the nail on the head big time.

It is friggin' gorgeous man. Great eye for design!
Thank you also for the good words! The design is actually one of my first when I started building and designing. It was a process for sure. I'd spend hours designing bodies and tweaking every little line on my laptop. for every 20 or so I'd only transfer 3-4 to full size cardboard cutouts, then of those only 1 would be made into a template. I only have like 5-7 templates I liked enough to use as a body so you can imagine the time spent looking at all the curves. It was almost emotional, or like an itch that needed to be scratched. It's actually the first guitar I used this body shape and finished. I built it one other time but that one never got finished, I started hating how the neck was turning out and scrapped it.