Full Length Album AION Available for Download! Melodic heaviness. Nukes. Long Songs!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rational Gaze, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Just downloaded this after a quick listen. Sounds AWESOME so far!!!

2. WidekMusic

WidekMusic SS.org Regular

Incredible album, love it! You guys gonna be big ! :)

Also mixing on this album is PERFECT.

Cheers!

3. Speculum Speculorum

Speculum Speculorum SS.org Regular

Man, this sounds really great. If you don't mind my asking, what did you use to record the vocals? They're very clear but sit so nicely in the mix. Awesome!

4. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

To add to the top question, what guitars were used? Amps?

5. arsenic

arsenic &

Amazing. Was gonna buy it, then I realized it was free. :( Will look onto that donation link.
    Great job!

6. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

AWESOME. Very nice production. Great job guys !!

7. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

Well, I'm on my third listen through at the moment, its proving to be a very nice soundtrack to Mass Effect 3 :D

Love the chunkiness of the guitar tone and really sits vibe-wise in that territory that Tool, Porcupine Tree, Opeth & Pink Floyd fill for me. I need to sit down with the lyrics and go over some of it.

Really nice release and the first DIY release I've really listened to from a full band that seemed as good or better than corporate-backed music. Excellent job guys, I'm really impressed and you've given me tons of inspiration for my own eventual DIY concept album.

If I had a criticism, the vocals are a bit uneven and in parts don't sit wuite right in the mix to my ears, but that's a seriously minor criticism; this is the best album I've heard from anyone unsigned and I really feel like all the time you spent on it shines through in the overall product's polish and depth.

I can't impress how impressive I find this album and the effort.

8. Rational Gaze

Rational Gaze LithiumDawn Voicebox

Well, to put it simply, I don't have anything special. The entire album was recorded with a PodStudio UX2 and PodFarm2. I've never really had any "real" gear so I've always had to learn to use what I had to its fullest potential.

The rhythm guitars are quad tracked. I melded a very basic "djent" tone fairly heavy on the bass/treble, and an extremely proggy, mid heavy tone with low gain together. In some parts, where I play the low E string, I will actually layer another double tracking in parts, making it a 6-tracked rhythm tone haha. There were some e-bow parts too, and some crazy fucked up patches that I made one night when I was under the influence of various substances ;)

The guitar I used was the Agile Intrepid 828 exclusively and for bass I used a Schecter Studio 6. Again, the gear that I could afford at the time. Everything is recorded direct. No amps. I used PodFarm in stand alone and routed it into Sonar so I didn't have to have a bunch of instances open.

For the vocals, I tried several microphones, but the best one? Good ol' Sm57, again going into the UX2. This a pic of me trackin' the vox. Nothing but a simple pop filter, a sound reflexion filter, and a comforter suspended off my ceiling fan with some clothing pins to soak up the reverb. :)

[​IMG]

Also a pic of my very basic studio setup. Again, nothing fancy.

[​IMG]

And a lot of the sound is post-production and spending hours and hours after work each day for several years getting it right, and being ridiculously frustrated for the longest time. I'm craving to get my hands on some better gear soon. I want a Carvin 8 string and some interfaces that don't look like they came out of a toystore ;)

But I'm glad you all like.

9. Rational Gaze

Dude, thank you so much. I'm dying to hear some more detailed impressions from people. It's like the waiting period for this that I'm new to, and I need to hear this reviewed by someone. It's driving me nuts hahaha. Thank you so much for taking the time to check this out :) A good chunk of the songs were fleshed out and re-recorded while I was in heavy Mass Effect 2 mode as well so that might have some subconscious effect on it too. Cheers man.

10. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

Man that is so awesome to read that you used such minimalist equipment. Between you and Sithu Aye you're really showing that you don't need to spend a fortune to get great results. :metal:

11. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

Didn't know Agiles could sound like that :S. Anyway, I got a couple of friends hooked on this album. Every time I see their msn status it says they are listening to x song from you guys, so that's cool.

BTW, the voice on Status and Perpetual Loss are lower in volume than in Soar. Was that on purpose? Sounds great, but I'm just curious I guess.

12. wasteband

wasteband SS.org Regular

Amazing stuff, love the whole atmosphere of the whole album. Can't wait to hear future stuff!

13. Rational Gaze

As it goes, Soar was the "problem" song. I actually discovered huge mix issues with it after Taylor mastered it. Not of his doing, but of mine pre-master, as I think I was in this weird rush and just didn't hear mistakes anymore by the time I handed off to him. So it's like 3 in the morning, and I have to do a quick mix adjustment. Drums were too loud, etc. Left Taylor's at 5:20am. That song was a mess. The vocals for it were also done over a year ago, and I really like how they sounded compared to a re-tracked version. There were a lot of variables with the song. It got to the point where if I tweaked it anymore, it would lose what made it sound the way it did in the first place, and I really wanted to avoid that for the sake of time, and my own sanity haha.

14. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I get that

My band when i was in high school rigged some weird setups to pull off recording and as far as my playing goes it got to the point where I was like fuck it, good enough :lol:

15. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

its so good. on my fourth listen.

16. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

Perfection from start to finish!

17. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I use a UX1 direct into Sonar via POD FARM as well. I swear by it, and it's a breath of fresh air to see someone else achieve stellar results with it.

18. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

This album is absolutely fantastic. Very much what I expected hearing the teaser you put up. I think the time spent working on the material has been worth it.

I get paid at the beginning of April. I'll be donating what I would have been happy to pay. Thank you for sharing buddy. You guys are very talented. I tend to want a follow up right away, but I'm more than happy to sink my teeth into this for a while... A long while I expect.

19. Ruins

Ruins SS.org Regular

listening to this and reading the thread, man.. wow, respect! you managed to squish some good quality out of your equipment!

i LOVE IT that the vocals are clean and the singer actually shows that he can sing rather than another wanna be a singer screaming dush.

20. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Love it man, nice job