FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by zimbloth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Hi. I assume you're referring to the RGR652AHB? In that guitar I would suggest the ceramic Warpig indeed, or perhaps the Rebel Yell if you want something a bit snappier that also works for B.

You're welcome!

In my experience the Holydiver model crushes in basswood Ibanez guitars, I think it would work great for that. The ceramic Nailbomb is also a great choice :)

I think you might like the Juggernauts in that for sure, although you may want to look into the True Grit model also. ITs medium hot but REALLY aggressive and clear.

Nah I check in from time to time. Obviously its better to PM or email me these types of questions as that way I can check more often, but I am happy to help people here too :)

BTS likes this.
  2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

@zimbloth hey man! I need a BKP like the Duncan Custom. Which one is that? Alnico Nailbomb?

I need an 8-string in an active housing, so I can’t just order a Duncan. The Duncan Distortion is just a bit brighter and tighter than what I like, for what it’s worth.

Guitar has a Mule at the bridge right now but it just doesn’t have enough mid saturation or grunt for what I want.

Thanks!

3. zimbloth

Happy to help. I would suggest the Black Dog. Sounds perfect for what you're looking for. Its got more angry mids and grind than the Mule, and a touch more output, but still has that wonderful clarity that low output BKPs give. If you'd be so kind, you can order one up here: https://axepalace.com/pickups/bare-knuckle/bkp-order-form/bare-knuckle-humbuckers-covered.html

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Thanks man! I think it’s that clarity that’s getting on my nerves since I’ve started using a Super Lead; bright amp with super clear pickups has just too much jangle and chime. So I’m wondering if what I want is something wound hotter and more compressed, which I fear is not the Black Dog?

5. zimbloth

Well this is the age old problem with 8-strings. You need something clear and tight enough to handle the low end, but doing so without sacrificing the higher strings is a challenge. This one of many reasons why I stick to 7-stings :p But the Black Dog is one of your best bets, for sure. If you want something a bit hotter and thicker though, with less "clicky" low-output attack, then I would look into the ceramic Warpig or Ragnarock.

cardinal likes this.
  6. Yianni54

Yianni54 SS.org Regular

Hey Nick,
    I have a PRS Custom 24 Wood Library swamp ash bosy flame maple neck and ebony fretboard. I was thing cold sweat neck/painkiller bridge but also thinking juggernauts. I mostly play thrash metal/90's metal. Thanks

7. zimbloth

I would suggest the Nailbomb/Cold Sweat in that guitar. I think the PK would be a bit too bright for a swamp ash PRS. The Juggernauts would be cool, but not really an ideal thrash metal sound. The Nailbomb would be my choice, or also the Warpig would be excellent.