FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by zimbloth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. stennukas29

stennukas29 SS.org Regular

Hey, im sure my pickup problem have gone several time through this topic but i couldnt find answer atm. So i bought a neko claymore 7, it has alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. what pups can you suggest? im considering holydivers, juggs, hawks and maybe some others. i could get divers for sweet price from a friend but i thought i could ask some help.
    Thanks in advance

2. VVolverin3

VVolverin3 Cool beans

^ What kind of sound do you want?

3. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

Hi Nick,

I've got a mahogany bodied, maple / bubinga neck, rosewood board RG7 coming in, musically speaking I'm looking for something between Dokken and Megadeth in a 7, albeit a little thicker / higher gain sounding though still retaining articulation. I was thinking a Holy Diver bridge and a VHII in the neck? Thanks in advance!

4. VVolverin3

VVolverin3 Cool beans

Crash Dandicoot (awesome name xD ) - I have a ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge of one of my Capa Dellingers - Mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board. Sounds absolutely killer for metal. Sharp, articulate, all those things.

5. stennukas29

stennukas29 SS.org Regular

I really enjoy playing nu metal, old school heavy metal, also some different types of modern metal. But I want it to be versatile, also with coilsplit option. In a band I'm rhythm guitarist, so it has to be chunky. I'm using engl savage 120.

6. VVolverin3

VVolverin3 Cool beans

The holy divers might work well, or even the juggernauts.

In your situation I would probably look at a war pig in the bridge and a holy diver neck for some variety. The war pig should work well for all your metal, and cleans up well as long as you're willing to roll off the volume on the guitar a bit, or the tone pot if you have one?! :p

7. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

Thanks for the info! I have a C-Nailbomb in my Jem 77BFP, it sounds pretty nice however I'm curious about different Bareknuckles.

8. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

Deleted content- email send instead

9. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Hi Nick-the pigs worked out perfect for my 7 thanks!

Next build:
    6 string 25.5"
    roasted maple neck with rosewood board
    ash body

Need a neck pickup rec. Looking for smooth singing, hi gain leads. Would sacrifice pick attack and clarity for fat smoothness. I'm thinking:

abraxas
    holy diver
    vh2
    cold sweat

Could you rank these from fattest to clearest? I like neck pickups that have a big contrast to the bridge. Bridge will be a titan or a nailbomb.

Thanks!

10. VVolverin3

VVolverin3 Cool beans

I wouldn't recommend the cold sweat for the neck. It's so mid-scooped it sounds like an open bridge pickup even in the neck pos! (in my experience)

Holy diver probably a good choice, or maybe the black dog?

11. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

Hey Nicck,

First, I have a Jackson DK-7Q (maple neck, alder body) and I want to replace the stock pick ups. I want to use BKP but even with open coils I think I will need to route due to the rectangular base plate that BKP uses. The SD that are stock have baseplates that are shaped like the bobbin and the cavities are tight. Do you have any experience with this?

Second, I would like a pickup recommendation . I am a bassists by trade, so I play mainly rhythm. I use my bridge pick up for distortion, favoring predominously focused and brutal low end (not muddy). Seeking a more modern sound. I use my neck pick up for cleans, favoring the sound of an ultra crisp tones like an EMG S or the Lace sensors found in a Fender Strat Plus. I know that may be hard in a humbucker that splits (4 conductor), but what would come closest?

For the bridge I was thinking Warpig but I have no idea for the neck.

Thanks,
    Ted

12. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Hey man. I think Holydivers would work great. They sound great for modern metal as well, but very versatile and dynamic. Also voiced great for an alder Soloist. The Warpig is a great option too, and they are not one-trick ponies. They coil split well and have good dynamics as well. A bit more "brutal" sounding though.

As for ordering from us vs. BKP: you should save money ordering from us, but they'd take slightly longer to ship since they'd have to come to us first.

In an alder/maple 7-string, I would opt for the ceramic Warpigs or the new "Impulse" model that just came out.

Holydiver/VH2 is the perfect combination for that. I also recommend the Rebel Yells though.

I'd stay far away from a Titan in an ash/maple guitar, way too thin and harsh. I dont recommend the Nailbomb either. In that guitar I'd suggest the Abraxas or Holydiver in the neck. In the bridge I would suggest the Holydiver, Impulse, or Emerald.

You shouldn't need to route at all in that guitar. I would suggest the ceramic Warpig for you!

13. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Thanks Nick! You'll be receiving an order for some holydivers soon in that case! And considering i'm replacing my emg's, what should I order when it comes to all the replacement parts, spacing, pots etc? Total noob here when it comes to that!

14. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Hey Nick! I'm planning a new custom build (7-string multiscale Jazzmaster, ash body, maple neck, ebony board), and I'm thinking about pickups for it. I want something that can cover modern-jazz dark-and-clear cleans (Ben Monder's tone is a fave, though that's a semihollow) through post-doom JCM800 articulate roar (think Pelican - we're definitely not in fuzzed-out Conan/Electric Wizard territory). I was contemplating Black Dogs or Abraxas - your thoughts?

15. Richie666

Richie666 SS.org Regular

Just put in an order for a calibrated Slow Hand set. Really excited for them!

16. zimbloth

Great! To replace EMGs you'd need all new pots. Order the BKP 550K pots found on our website. As for spacing, that depends on the guitar but whenever in doubt go with 53MM as that will work in anything.

I would suggest the Abraxas or Warpig for that. Ash/maple/ebony is going to be quite bright, this pickups have a lot of girth but still articulate.

Thanks man!

17. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Thanks! Follow-up: which neck HSP90 to pair with an Abraxas bridge in that same ash/maple/ebony configuration? I'm thinking MQ.

18. zimbloth

The MQ is great. I also like the Supermassive.

19. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

Hi Nick,

I have a multiscale (25-26") 7 string with swamp ash body, rosewood/maple bolt on neck and ziricote fretboard. Right now it has a C-Bomb in the bridge and a Rebel Yell in the neck and they sound awful. I'm looking for a versatile pickup combo with good low-end clarity. I absolutely love my C-Pig in my 8 string, but I want a little bit less sterile kind of pickup. Is the Emerald set the perfect set for me? Or an Emerald bridge and a VHII neck? Thanks for your help in advance!

20. zimbloth

Yes a C-Bomb is much too bright for an ash/maple guitar. As is the Rebel Yell. Both those pickups are voiced for warmer tone woods in mind, so I'm not surprised. We would have never given you that recommendation had you inquired about ordering through us :)

I would recommend the Holydiver set, Impulse set, or Abraxas set. The Emerald/VH2 could work too but I also worry the Emerald would be a touch too bright in that guitar. I think I'd like the Abraxas or Black Dog better for the lower output variety.