FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by zimbloth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

One question: i have a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme (5 piece maple/walnut neckthrough, mahogany wings, quilted maple top with ebony fretboard and Floyd Rose) that in need of a change in pickup. I'm looking for a thick, chunky sound with a good amount of "grind". Something with lots of mid, thick but punchy bass and enough treble to round out the sound. Articulation and dynamics along with split-coil/parallel is also preferable as i want versatility too. Also if it help i play in E standard, so it should working with the tuning as well. And my amp is a solid state Blackstar ID 15TVP.

2. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I would strongly suggest the Holydiver set! You can order up here.

3. DarkNe0

DarkNe0 SS.org Regular

Hey zimbloth! I recently acquired a KM-7 and I'm not too happy with the SD Nazgul. I want a pickup that is very saturated, nails metalcore tones (trivium, KSE, all that reamins, shadows fall) but isn't a one trick pony and can cover a wide array of styles, though, most of what I play lays around that style so I need something with loads if saturation and gritty punchy, full palm muting sound. The Nazgul was also too bright on the higher strings so I'd prefer if it was something a bit warmer. Was thinking about either a Miracle Man or Black Hawk, what would you suggest?

4. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Went for a choice out of left field and ordered a Painkiller nick to go with my C-Bomb. Now is the time to wait patiently...

5. zimbloth

Yeah the Nazgul is awful IMO, you'll be much happier with a BKP. I would suggest the ceramic Warpig or Blackhawk. I don't care much for the Miracle Man.

Nice!

6. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Still got some 550ks left over from my last order from you, so those are going right in with em!

7. DarkNe0

DarkNe0 SS.org Regular

What would you say is less bright? Also, if Black Hawks, shall I go ceramic or alnico?

8. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

I recently picked up an ESP II Eclipse from Nick and we dropped in a matched set of BK HolyDivers.

Anyone who has one of these guitars and wants to try a different pickup should take a look at these, very versatile and with
    the coil taps we put in (push/pull pots) I can get just about any type of tone I need out of this guitar (except Death Metal).
    so ...thanks for hooking me up Nick :)

9. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Would it sound a bit too classic though? I'm aiming for a more modern sound.

10. zimbloth

Warpig. Ceramic version.

Not at all, its great for modern metal too.

11. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

12. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

13. Yianni54

Yianni54 SS.org Regular

Hey Nick,

What do you recommend for a PRS custom 24? Standard tuning and mostly thrash metal. It's a very resonant guitar. Flame maple neck Ebony board. Thanks

14. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

Hello Nick
    I need an advice too, help me choose my 7 string BKP:
    I got a new guitar but I want a BKP in the bridge, the guitar is an Ibanez S7721PB so a maple neck in a thin mahogany body.
    We play in DropG# a sort of sludge/doom so I need a devastating and powerful pickup, not too muddy and not too definite/clean: I use a valve amp so I want the 'grrrrrr' on lower notes but I must hear them...

thank you!

15. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

Hey Nick,

I have a question about the Black Hawks, because your order form and the BKP site isn't 100% clear to me.
    If I wanna make a Blackhawk fit into soapbar routes without a big gap, I have to get the "Soapbar" option (obviously) and the "Radiator" cover, right?!

16. zimbloth

In the S7221PB I would recommend the ceramic Warpig!

Yes you'd need to do the Radiator cover to get the Blackhawk in a cover option :)

Holydiver!

17. cg138

cg138 Active Member

mod edit: unless you can post something publicly accessible don't bother.

18. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Hey Nick! Im looking to swap out the emg 81b/85n combo in my Jackson Soloist (alder, maple neck through, rosewood board and floyd rose). I will say I like the 81 for its metal tone, although it could be thicker imo. But anything else than balls to the wall metal just sounds terrible, undynamic, almost digital and lifeless. And really leaves me uninspired to play other musical styles, specifically mid-gain lead playing.

So Im looking for a set or combo that handles modern balls to the wall metal, but will also allow to me to play dynamically using lower gain tones, in both full humbucker mode and with split coils. Now Im familiar with the usual suspects; c-pig, holydiver and possibly c-blackhawks. But could you elaborate on some of their differences? My fears are the c-pig being one trick pony's like the emg's, and the holydiver sounding to 80's. Im probably wrong though.

I play through a Kemper and studio monitors, and I dont play live, if that helps. I tend to have this particular guitar in drop C most of the time, and occasionaly drop B.
    Also is it more logical for a European to order from you or straight from bkp?

Sorry about the long post, but hope you can help! Thanks in advance!

19. VVolverin3

VVolverin3 Cool beans

Could try an aftermath in the bridge? I think whatever you get you'd want to make use of the tone/volume controls on your guitar to soften the sound a bit when not playing intense metal! :p

And something like the holydiver, or even the juggernaut in the neck for some different tones.

That's what I'd go with in that guitar I think.

20. HollowmanPL

HollowmanPL SS.org Regular

got the same guitar, the same problem :)