FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by zimbloth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mikemtm

Mikemtm SS.org Regular

Nick
    Do you have any active mount 7 string pickups in stock right now. Ideally I was looking for a Painkiller to go into the bridge (actually the only pickup) in my COW7.

2. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

3. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

So I'm about to buy some BKP's (Bridge+Middle) for my maple body, maple neck-through 7-string baritone (2005 LTD SC-607B fwiw).

Any tips as to what I might want to put in there? I play a lot of progressive music, ambient, atmospheric and.. generally über layered stuff. :lol: Think Periphery/Monuments/Tesseract meets Hans Zimmer.. I do a lot of stuff, but I guess ticking my metal needs comes first.

I want something full, clear and pissed off that still fits with the wood combo of my guitar. I don't feel that it is overly bright acoustically, but I'm still not comfortable enough with the woods to make my own decision while feeling safe with what I buy. :)

4. zimbloth

I would suggest the Warpigs, with the ceramic bridge version. Make sure on the order form to select the EMG size covers. You can do so on our website World class guitars, amps, pickups, gear, and tech services - The Axe Palace if ordering from us (we have great prices!)

5. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Hi Nick,

You recommended a C-pig for my Carvin ST300: Walnut neck/body, neck through, rosewood board, Floyd bridge. I'm leaning heavily towards the C-pig but am curious what your thoughts would be on the Painkiller for this situation. Thrash & Death stuff. Looking for tight-tight lows with mucho articulation on chords and fast single notes.

Thanks man!

6. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Hi Nick,
    I just bought a C-Bomb for the bridge of my RG7421 and I was wondering what you'd recommend as a neck pickup to go with it? I play mostly thrash and prog metal and I need a good clean sound as well as a nice smooth lead sound from the neck pickup. I'd also like something that will take to being split well. I've been looking at the VH II or the Cold Sweat, but I can't decide.

Thanks,
    Bill

7. zimbloth

I stand with my original recommendation. Painkiller is too bright for all walnut.

I would suggest the VH II.

8. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

9. zimbloth

10. DarkNe0

DarkNe0 SS.org Regular

I guess I'll post this here too:

y guitar consists of an Adler body + BKP aftermath combination, and I've been feeling that the sound I'm getting really fits one type of style and doesn't allow me to do multiple things.

The attack and mid spike is amazing on this pickup, gives you the kind of "clicky" sound that you want when playing prog and gives you immense attack while downpicking on the low A.

Yet, I feel it sounds too thin when I want to play some metalcore (think KSE, August Burns Red, etc) Even though the attack is really huge on the palm mutes, I don't feel it being gritty enough and the notes coming off the E and A strings are really "clicky" which doesn't really fit that kind of style.

I really like this pickup and honestly don't want to part ways with it. But if you've got some suggestions for another pickup that can give me the best of both worlds depending on how I set up my amp, that would be great, because the Aftermath always gives me this kind of clicky sound no matter how I dial in my amp. I'd love to preserve the effect but maybe not as much as it is right now with the Aftermath. The bright sounding Adler body might be playing a part as well.

Help me out! :scratch:

11. zimbloth

The Aftermath is very bright and upper midrange, no ideal in bright woods like alder. Better suited in basswood or mahogany. In your guitar I would suggest the Warpig or Blackhawk (ceramic version) :)

12. DarkNe0

DarkNe0 SS.org Regular

What about Juggernauts?

13. zimbloth

I would suggest the Warpigs or Blackhawks, definitely.

14. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

Hi Nick,

What humbucker combo would you recommend for a chambered swamp ash 7 string with a walnut top and maple neck/fretboard? I want an aggressive Swedish rhythm sound, with the clarity and singing nature of a PAF? Blackhawks, black dogs? Concerned about too much brightness.

15. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Hi Nick;

what would you recommend for a 27' 7-string with mahog body, wenge&maple neck, ebony fretboard and walnut top? I have a painkiller bridge and an emerald neck in there right now and the emerald is ok (I do wish it was higher output tho) but I just can't get the painkiller to sound good. It sounds brittle and weak, especially on the 7th string.

To give you an idea of what sound I like: I have a C-bomb and a coldsweat in my 25.5' 6-string with swamp ash body, maple neck, ebony fretboard and maple top and I LOVE both pickups in that wood combination. It sounds perfect for what I play - lamb of god, haunted shores type of djenty stuff and symphony x -ish riffs.

I'm playing through an Orange rockerverb 100 MKII and a zilla fatboy 2x12 btw.

Thanks in advance!

16. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

What pairs well with a CBomb? I've had matched set of nailbombs for a few years and I've just never bonded with the neck pickup. The top strings sound nice clean, but the bass strings clean and the tones under gain just don't work for me. The VHII seems like a popular choice.

e: if it helps, my favorite neck pickup sound is currently a Dimarzio Dominion in my RGA121NTF, and anything I get would be going into an S5521Q

17. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

For what its worth, I have a Cbomb/cold sweat combo and I feel like they pair up perfectly :)

18. zimbloth

Ceramic Warpig set or Holydivers.

I would try the Holydiver or Emerald bridge. Or if you want something really hot you could go with Black Hawks. The Painkiller to me sounds thicker than the C-Bomb so I'm surprised its sounding brittle in your guitar. Must be that walnut/maple. The Rebel Yell has a similar EQ curve to the Painkiller but is fuller sounding and richer, thats a cool option too.

I love pairing the C-Bomb with the Emerald neck or the VHII neck. I also love the Mule. Cold Sweat is a popular choice too.

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Do you think the Emerald or the VHII are a better pair for the CBomb? Why?

20. zimbloth

They're all good choices. Just have a different sound. I think the VHII would be a surefire safe bet.